Books2Movies Club discussion

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
This topic is about An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
Quick Reads > An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Jul 15, 2018 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeljka (ztook) | 2988 comments Mod
La Rivière du hibou (1962) is a short film based on An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce. The film won awards at the Cannes Film Festival and an Academy Award for live action short film. The film was also featured as a Twilight Zone episode, and as I understood it, it was the only one not actually done by the creators of the show. There are other adaptations of the story, but not as famous as this one. (Do tell us anyway if you've seen any other!)

It is actually available online for free, courtesy of LikeTelevision:
LikeTelevision - An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge
There's almost no dialogue in it. Enjoy the beautiful cinematography. It won those awards deservedly.

The story itself is lauded as a masterpiece of American short fiction. I'll just quote Kurt Vonnegut (from its wiki article): "I consider anybody a twerp who hasn't read the greatest American short story, which is '[An] Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge,' by Ambrose Bierce. It isn't remotely political. It is a flawless example of American genius, like 'Sophisticated Lady' by Duke Ellington or the Franklin stove." The story is in the public domain, so you can find it online for free. Just choose your favourite publisher and format, I am sure you'll find a copy of it.

message 2: by Stacy (new)

Stacy Silcock I taught this story and watched the film with my high school students. Love it.

message 3: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 05, 2018 02:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stacy wrote: "I taught this story and watched the film with my high school students. Love it."

I believe you - this is so perfect story to read in the class and then watch the movie afterwards!

I finally spared some time to read it. The story was chilling but so beautiful. The writing was enchanting! My favourite passage:

In few moments he was flung upon the gravel at the foot of the left bank of the stream—the southern bank—and behind a projecting point which concealed him from his enemies. The sudden arrest of his motion, the abrasion of one of his hands on the gravel, restored him, and he wept with delight. He dug his fingers into the sand, threw it over himself in handfuls and audibly blessed it. It looked like diamonds, rubies, emeralds; he could think of nothing beautiful which it did not resemble.

The movie followed the story quite faithfully, skipping only the introductory part. It wasn't a minute longer nor shorter than necessary, and it was truly impressive. Monochrome colors yet beauty of the landscape was so easily imaginable. The use of sound and music was superb, and oh what a beautiful voice singing! I would like to know what song was that. Does anyone know?

I must admit though the movie ending had a greater impact on me than the one in the story. Only when he gets to the gates one realizes something is amiss...

message 4: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin I saw it on The Twilight Zone. The first time I saw it I didn't get it but I've since watched it several times and I think its one of the most beautiful episodes of the series.

I need to read the book.

message 5: by Zeljka (last edited Dec 29, 2018 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin wrote: "I saw it on The Twilight Zone. The first time I saw it I didn't get it but I've since watched it several times and I think its one of the most beautiful episodes of the series.

I need to read the..."

Yes, I agree, it is really beautiful! The story is really short. If you do not mind reading e-books, you can read it online at Gutenberg (link: An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge) or pick your own ebook at any e-bookstore (I am sure there are some offered for free) for reading offline.