SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Looking for two YA scifi books!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Hellooo, I thought I'd try my luck with you guys!

In school I read a loooot of science fiction from the school library, so I'm assuming it was YA, even though that's not a term I knew anything about in Denmark in the 90s :)

One of the books I can't remember the title of had, I believe, a mountain on the cover, and maybe cat eyes. I don't remember the plot at all, except that the Earth had been inhabitable at some point but was now inhabited by groups of people, cat people maybe. There was poison in the air so they had added a strong odor to the clouds of poison so that you'd know to avoid them if you smelled them. That's literally all I remember.

The second ones were as series of books and I'm certain they in Danish was called something with Pak and the grey or the steel grey or something like that, but Google turns up empty handed when I search for it. The main character was a young man or a boy and robots had taken control of his city (or the country/world), and again I remember nothing of the plot except this fight between man and machine. I believe part of the covers were actually silver/grey, in line with the title. I have no idea if they were English books originally, like I said I was a kid and didn't notice those kinds of things.

Does any of these sound familiar?

message 2: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Breed to Come by Andre Norton maybe?

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments Breed to Come for the link.

message 4: by Shanna (new)

Shanna | 43 comments Dawn wrote: "Hellooo, I thought I'd try my luck with you guys!

In school I read a loooot of science fiction from the school library, so I'm assuming it was YA, even though that's not a term I knew anything abo..."

For the second book, (this may be a stretch)... I was reminded of The White Mountains.

message 5: by Dawn F (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Cheryl wrote: "Breed to Come for the link."

That definitely looks like it's it! Thanks!

Shanna wrote: "For the second book, (this may be a stretch)... I was reminded of The White Mountains."

Interesting, it sounds a lot like that plot, even if I don't recognize the tripods or the names, specifically. Not sure I can trust my cover description anyway since it may be the Danish edition. I'll give it a read and see if this may be the one!

message 6: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline | 2306 comments Glad I could help....

message 7: by Dawn F (last edited Mar 27, 2019 12:59AM) (new)

Dawn F (psychedk) | 1219 comments Necro-posting XD

Just wanted to say that I found the second series of children's books I was looking for. I did a thing I had forgotten one can do - searched the library *hangs head in shame*. Since I had borrowed them at my school library as a kid, chances were I could find them in our large, central library.

Turns out the three books about Pak and his friends were by a Danish author, Hans Hansen. They're about a group of friends who take up the fight against a General who has taken control of their land/city in a violent coup. It's definitely science fiction as the soldiers are metallic robot type things, but it's only labeled as fiction, both at the library and the bookstores where I also found them. Strange, but maybe they didn't consider genre that important for kids, except that it's on the kids' shelf. (They are, however, tagged by interest as "dictatorship" and "social criticism".)

Anyway, I'm now curious and will probably rent the ebooks at some point and see how they fare today :)

message 8: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments Dawn wrote: "Necro-posting XD

Just wanted to say that I found the second series of children's books I was looking for. I did a thing I had forgotten one can do - searched the library *hangs head in shame*. Sin..."

Glad you found it. It's always satisfying to remember something like that when you've been looking for it for a long time.

message 9: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments Ty for letting us know!