Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > I'm an American---Edward Hopper

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments "No one captured the isolation of the individual within the modern city like ___________

...offers a far more evocative look at life between the World Wars.

...providing a minimum of action, stripping away almost any sign of life or mobility, and adding dramatic means of representation with striking lighting schemes in claustrophobic spaces, ___________ suggests something of the psychological inner life of ___ subject.

By leaving many clues but no specific answers, ___ forces the viewer to complete the narrative.

__________'s individuals, usually depicted isolated and disconnected from their environments either literally by glass windows or metaphorically through formal means, are manifestations of the artist's focus on the solitude of modern life. The starkness of detail and unmodulated revelatory light in many works builds a tension, drawing the viewer's attention away from the given subject, and suggesting much about ___ emotional experience."

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Edward Hopper, I think, the poet of isolation and loneliness

message 3: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Yup, Hopper, from the first paragraph alone.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments Some Hopper fans might enjoy reading In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper edited by Lawrence Block. When you look at a Hopper painting, the viewer can imagine a story behind the people who look so isolated. The book is a collection of short stories whose authors are each inspired by a Hopper painting.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Connie wrote: "Some Hopper fans might enjoy reading In Sunlight or In Shadow: Stories Inspired by the Paintings of Edward Hopper edited by Lawrence Block. When you look at a Hopper ..."

That sounds fantastic! I'll check it out, Connie, thank you for posting and introducing that!

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Great job you all!

It is Edward Hopper!

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Thanks Connie. He`s one of my favs and I would love to read about him and his influence.