Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > [2019] 4th Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The results are in!

Top 2:
- A book with a dual timeline
- A book with one of the 5 W's in the title (Who, what, where, when, why)

Bottom 3:
- A book whose page count is a prime number
- A book where the main character is a psychic, medium, clairvoyant or empath
- Two books by an author who writes using two different names (Nora Roberts/J. D. Robb; J. K. Rowling/Robert Galbraith, etc,)

Polarizing:
- A fiction and non-fiction book on the same topic
- A book related to a zodiac sign

There were no close calls this round.

Results are calculated by subtracting the number of voters who put a prompt in their bottom 4 from those who put a prompt in their top 4 (top 4 - bottom 4). The totals are then compared to find the top result(s).

Total number of votes: 111

The fifth round of suggestions will open tomorrow, July 16, at 9:00am EST.

message 2: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments What are the rules about re-nominating topics? There were so many great ones (imo) and I'd be so disappointed if they just disappeared.

message 3: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2020 comments dalex- I believe anything except the bottom can be renominated.

message 4: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Interesting results this round! It's always fun to see how aligned you are with the rest of the group.

I think one of my favorites has made it into the top each week and the same is the case here but another of my top is in the bottom and a third is in the polarizing category.

Two of my bottom ended up on the bottom so overall I'm happy with the results and hopefully the polarizing one will come back around and make it in to the final list.

message 5: by Rachel (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:44AM) (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments Very happy with these results. Both of the top choices were in my Top 4, and I'm pleasantly surprised that my "5 W's" prompt made it. After I suggested it, I second-guessed it because there were already a couple of title-based prompts that made the list.

Two of the Bottom 3 here were in my Bottom 4, and I also put the fiction and non-fiction on the same topic as my Bottom 4 because I'm not a fan of non-fiction, and prefer the option to either read it or not for a prompt instead of it being required.

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1665 comments yep - I've already picked out some possibilities for next year. Having fun with planning what next year will look like.

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments I'm definitely not aligned with the group. 😔 I didn't enjoy either of these topics last time they were in the challenge, and the W one was in my bottom two. I'm beginning to think I might need a year off.

message 8: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 943 comments Jody wrote: "I'm definitely not aligned with the group. 😔 I didn't enjoy either of these topics last time they were in the challenge, and the W one was in my bottom two. I'm beginning to think I might need a ye..."

This is my first year voting so even when the results vary from my own choices, I still find it fun to think of options. I can understand how those who have been doing the challenge for a few years would get disillusioned when the same topics come back especially if you weren't thrilled with them in the first place.

It's still early though so hopefully you'll be happy with the final list and if not, you can always focus on a rejects challenge. At this stage, I'm as or more excited about the options that have been rejected as I am about the ones selected!

message 9: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy | 742 comments I’m just amazed that only 111 people vote.

message 10: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1665 comments Jody wrote: "I'm definitely not aligned with the group. 😔 I didn't enjoy either of these topics last time they were in the challenge, and the W one was in my bottom two. I'm beginning to think I might need a ye..."

I sort of know what you mean. I feel aligned with the group but it feels like there are only so many suggestions that you can do. Then when they are too specific I get stuck on the prompt. Like alternate history book for this year. I'm definitely not looking forward to that one and I think I even voted for it last year. When that happens I just try to get an audio of it so it goes a little faster. I just ordered Fatherland from the library so I don't have this prompt stuck at the end of the challenge.

I kind of feel like the prompts give me a direction of what to read next if I'm stumped. I get indecisive on what to read next and the list helps direct me.

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie Meh. I struggled to find a book for the dual-timeline prompt when we did it last year, and I didn't want to see again this year. It was one of my bottom choices. Meanwhile, two of the bottoms were my top choices.

I'm definitely not very well-aligned with the group this week.

message 12: by Perri (new)

Perri | 795 comments My choices were polarizing or at the bottom, but I like those top two. I feel like having a reject challenge makes these easier to accept, if that makes any sense

message 13: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (anastasiaharris) | 1393 comments I really did not expect those 2 prompts to make the top. They are not really inspiring and extremely easy to fill. Almost all historical fiction has dual timelines.

The rejects challenge for next year is shaping up nicely though. There have been some very interesting suggestions that are different enough to get my creative juices flowing.

@Jody Hopefully later prompts are more in tune with your expectations. It would be a loss to the group if you decide not to participate next year.

message 14: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3277 comments Wow I was way off this week. My tops were Shakespeare, zodiac, psychic and library....hm.

My bottoms were slightly better. I voted down both of the two book prompts, prime number and book mentioned in another book.

I like both of the winners (I went back and forth about the 5 w's for hours). Dual time line I felt like we just did that one so I didn't feel it would get chosen. Guess I was wrong.

message 15: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Jul 15, 2018 12:28PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 8310 comments Mod
I voted for both of the tops, so I'm excited. I read a lot of dual timeline, so that will probably be a prompt I just fill in as I come across books I like. As for the W's, I think it opens up a lot of different possibilities for people to read within the realm of books they want to read while still narrowing.

My other two top votes were for the polarizing topics. I can totally see both of the polarizing choices coming back in later polls. Actually, this is the second time that the zodiac one has come back as polarizing, so I don't know if this will eventually tip this into the top or the bottom.

I'm happy with the bottoms -- I was dreading that author with two names prompt making it... I couldn't find any authors I was interested in for that.

I am surprised that there were only two prompts again. It will be a long voting season if we keep only having 2 or 3 prompts chosen! It could be an opportunity to bring back some multi-week prompts to make up for that.

The community spreadsheet is updated to reflect these new prompts.

message 16: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 362 comments I'm curious. Is there a limit to the number of wild cards you can substitute for categories? Would using wild cards be different from doing a "rejects" challenge?

message 17: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2020 comments I think sometimes when there are several good ideas that the votes get spread out more and we end up with a smaller top.

message 18: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Martha wrote: "I'm curious. Is there a limit to the number of wild cards you can substitute for categories? Would using wild cards be different from doing a "rejects" challenge?"

From what I know about the challenge, you have one Wild Card that can be used to apply a book that doesn't fit a certain prompt into the Wild Card prompt. It doesn't mean you are replacing the prompt, just that you are placing a book in that prompt that doesn't necessarily fit there.

A rejects challenge is a separate challenge that you would create using the rejected prompts... it's separate and apart from the regular ATY list, and it's self-created.

message 19: by Martha (new)

Martha (marthag503) | 362 comments Emily wrote: "Martha wrote: "I'm curious. Is there a limit to the number of wild cards you can substitute for categories? Would using wild cards be different from doing a "rejects" challenge?"

From what I know ..."

Thanks, Emily!

message 20: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3277 comments Last year when we were running somewhat short on time because of having only two clear winners each week, we simply did more polls. The length of the polls was shortened from 7 days to 5. And we usually end quite early in the year so that the mods can create the final list and then the members have a few weeks to build their tbr before the year actually starts. Between the shortened voting periods and the built in planning time at the end, we will still have plenty if time to get a complete list.

message 21: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments I got one in the top, and one in the bottom,and one polarizing Hope to see some of the others back at some time Pleased with the top this week.

message 22: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1062 comments We finished with one category from 2016 challenge and one from 2017 !!! .... I don't like that our winning categories are again repeated categories, but I like both, I even voted for one of them, so I am Ok with the winners.

I thought the one with Shakespeare was original, that's why I voted for that one, although I had no idea what to read. Too bad that none of the original suggestions won.... maybe if they are resubmitted in one of the "just new categories suggestions"... Is it possible to resubmitt in that kind of poll, when the suggestion has never won before?

message 23: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Silvia wrote: "We finished with one category from 2016 challenge and one from 2017 !!! .... I don't like that our winning categories are again repeated categories, but I like both, I even voted for one of them, s..."

My guess is that we have a lot of new people participating and voting (yay!) who haven't seen the 2016 and 2017 lists (like me 🙋🏻‍♀️).

I don't think we are doing any more new suggestions threads... most of the members who voted last year thought multiple new suggestions threads were very hard to fulfill.

That being said, I do think the Shakespeare one may come around again, especially because of all the conversations that were being had in the voting thread that made people see it in a different way. I hope it does... I didn't vote for it this time, but I would vote for it next time.

message 24: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Count me as another "unaligned" person. None of my top picks were voted in... and the one of the "W"s prompt isn't appealing at all. Oh well, I can always revisit "Where's Waldo?"

message 25: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3277 comments Silvia wrote: "We finished with one category from 2016 challenge and one from 2017 !!! .... I don't like that our winning categories are again repeated categories, but I like both, I even voted for one of them, s..."

I wish too that we had less repeats from the last two years (at least). If we end up with a majority of topics being recent repeats then I will be disappointed. It is hard to get excited about the list after doing it all these years anyway so as someone else said, maybe it is time for the veterans to move on and leave it to the newbies. *shrug*

message 26: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy | 932 comments I wonder if more discussion of the voting would help? If I was torn between a few different categories and someone noted that one of them was a repeat and the other wasn’t, it would sway my vote. I do think I’ll wait to vote (I’ve been doing it the first day) to read some of the discussion first in future weeks.

I also think that 20 suggestions is too many, because votes get diluted. If only 10-15 Ideas got through to voting each round, people would be more selective with their seconds (I bet) and perhaps good ideas wouldn’t have to wait multiple rounds before being approved?

message 27: by Bec (new)

Bec | 897 comments Chrissy wrote: "I wonder if more discussion of the voting would help? If I was torn between a few different categories and someone noted that one of them was a repeat and the other wasn’t, it would sway my vote. I..."
I agree Chrissy, I don't have time to do extensive research for each topic so pick the ones that look like I will be able to fill easily. Sometimes the discussions after people have voted make you change your mind - more discussion (rather than having to do individual research) would open up my mind to seeing topics differently.

Anyway I voted for the 2 winners this week so yay for me. The 2 polarizing were both in my bottom 4 (sorry for those who loved them). I just don't love non-fiction and didn't really feel inspired by my star sign either. One of the bottoms was in my top (2 authors, I was going to read Robin Hobb and Megan L... I love Robin Hobb but due to the page length I often put the books aside for quicker ones).

message 28: by Edie (new)

Edie | 981 comments Chrissy wrote: "I wonder if more discussion of the voting would help? If I was torn between a few different categories and someone noted that one of them was a repeat and the other wasn’t, it would sway my vote. I..."

I totally agree that 20 topics is too many. Could we cut back to 10-12? And how about concentrating prompts that were used recently in their own poll and NOT allowing them for the other polls.

message 29: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments I honestly did not remember that the 5 W's prompt had been used before when I suggested it! I thought of it because I was browsing through my TBR for a blog post not too long ago for commonly used words in titles, and saw how many of them used question words. I also thought it would be a great way to give freedom to pick books from a variety of genres.

I agree with Chrissy that more discussion of the voting may be a good thing. I've been noticing this year that there are hardly any comments about the suggestions, aside from generalities and a lot of the discussion (ie. for the Shakespeare prompt) happens after the votes are already cast. I get that it can be very discouraging to have your suggestion criticized, but I think the discussion is an important part of the process and one that can be the most interesting.

message 30: by Jill (new)

Jill (dogbotsmum) | 1048 comments We have had 15 suggestions in the past, and I am thinking with 20, a few are being seconded just to get the poll started

message 31: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3277 comments First of all, if you haven't done the challenge before this year and you see a new to you topic that you love then by all means, vote for it. If you want to create a completely unique list for next year then print out or screenshot a copy of each of the previous year's lists and reference them before voting. I don't think that is any more labor intensive than waiting to see if someone mentions it in the discussions (which probably won't happen because it has been SO quiet in here this year). Ultimately though, if it's interesting to you, vote for it. If some people decide the list next year isn't for them then so be it. Every year people come and people go, it's the nature of the game.

message 32: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 3277 comments That said, I wouldn't be against a mod restriction against repeat topics from the last 2 or 3 years lists to encourage variety but if the group doesn't support that than that's fine too.

message 33: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

I like the idea of restricting to 15 instead of 20 suggestions... I think that would actually encourage us to be more selective in what we second.

message 34: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2020 comments I think as a group we did not want to have many only new idea polls. I found it overwhelming last year. (I think we settled on just one which we already had).

message 35: by dalex (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Rachel wrote: "I agree with Chrissy that more discussion of the voting may be a good thing."

Me too. But I have a feeling that a lot of people just go and quickly cast their votes without reading any discussion or researching or anything, which is a not-so-good thing since many prompts are far more doable than they might initially seem to be.

Also, I want to point out......obviously some people like these prompts, repeats or not, since they ended up with the most votes (although judging by the opinions expressed here I really wonder who all these people were who voted for these prompts since they certainly don't seem to be the crowd favorites).

message 36: by Marie (new)

Marie | 820 comments My only disappointment this time around is that we just have two winners - I managed to find something I was excited to read for virtually every prompt. It's almost like the selection was too good, so maybe the vote was very spread out?

We talked recently about reducing the time the vote was open, it might be a bit controversial, but maybe we could consider having a day or two between finishing nominations and opening the vote? The voting time could be shorter so the process still took seven days. That would give everyone time to discuss the prompts, think about the ways to interpret them and what books we might read, and have the added bonus of less waiting time between voting and results day.

I don't tend to vote early, I like to read the discussions and look at what I might read for each prompt first, so I'm not really in a position to know if forcing everyone to wait would be helpful or just really irritating.

message 37: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 2020 comments I personally don't pay attention to the discussion on picking what to vote for or not. I have found the discussion (at least last year) is not very reliable when it comes to the results. I like to read books and then find a place to fit them (even though I make a plan that I don't follow at all). I don't care for stretching the prompts. I like to follow them as closely as I can and when it is some what ambiguous, I feel like I am cheating.

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2816 comments I don't think delaying the vote by a couple of days would make much difference, since we can't guarantee there would be any discussion in the meantime or that people will actually take time to look at options.

I was also under the impression that as a group, we had decided we only wanted one "new suggestions only" poll, so I'm a bit confused by all the people now saying they were disappointed that the winners were both repeats. I feel like we can't win either way. When we limit polls to new suggestions only, there seems to be a struggle to come up with ideas that have never been done before. When we don't, people complain that it's the same prompts over and over.

For me, as fun as the voting is, the prompts are ultimately less important than the books I pick. That's why I tend to go for prompts that have plenty of options available, so I can find a book that really interests me. I can understand it when people have struggled with a prompt in the past and dread seeing it again, but after so many years, it's really hard to come up with anything that has never been done before.

message 39: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3468 comments The group as a whole might have voted for only one new suggestion poll, but the people (like me) complaining about repeat prompts may not have voted that way. I’d personally love all new prompts, but I know that’s never going to happen.

It’s impossible for everyone to be happy about every suggestion or winning prompt, and sometimes I wonder if all of the discussion is actually detrimental to the process. But like Amy (I think, I’m on mobile so just going by memory) said, it’s up to each of us as to whether we end up participating. I’m not sure if it’s a mid-year slump in interest for me, or burn out after four years of year-long challenges. I’d always planned to hang around just to talk about books, regardless of whether I’m doing the challenge, but I’ve also noticed that there’s hardly any discussion here any more in the A-Z folders, which is disappointing.

message 40: by Marina H (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:18AM) (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments As I see it, it's the same group of people who make the decisions when it comes to the voting process, so of course there'll still be people who are disappointed with the results. There's more than 100 people who are voting, but you definitely don't see 100 people taking part in the overall discussions.

My level of participation has certainly dropped this year both in the discussion but also in the A-Z folders. Maybe it just happens for some of us after being in the group for a long time.

Once again the two winners doesn't excite me, they're just okay. I know we're not done with the list yet, but I feel more and more convinced that I'll be looking elsewhere for other and possibly shorter challenges next year and not prioritize this challenge. But as others have said, people come and people go...

message 41: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments Also I don't think it's fair to expect others to read the discussion or do a lot of research for each prompt before voting. Everybody should vote they way they want to and for the prompts they like and not listen to what everybody else thinks.

message 42: by Hilde (last edited Jul 16, 2018 05:10AM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 813 comments Since a lot of people here seems to be a bit tired of a year-long challenge, I thought I could tip about a summer challenge that is going on now. I have noticed that a lot of you are trying to read across the world (I am too, but haven't set up my thread in this group), so this challenge is great for that!

The challenge is a literary backpack trip through Europe hosted by the blog 'The Readers Room'. Participants are signing up either there, or the 1001 Group that I am part of (Reading 1001), and posting their updates mostly here on GR and on Litsy. It started July 2, and will last until the end of September, but I don't think it's to late to join in still. It's been lots of fun seeing all the fun travels on Litsy. I am currently on my way to Denmark right now, and am picking books that also fits my ATY challenge (Example from Litsy). The game is set up like a game board, with challenges/delays etc each week. You can see more information here if anyone is interested: BackpackEurope

On Litsy; search on the hashtag #BackpackEurope to see the travels :)

(And Admins; sorry if this post doesn't belong here, feel free to delete it)

message 43: by Nadine in NY (last edited Jul 16, 2018 05:44AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 1687 comments One of my "yes"s was a winner, one of my "no"s was a loser, none of my "yes"s were losers, and none of my "no"s were winners. So I'm good!

I think the voting is working exactly the way it should. I've noticed that there is almost always a fair bit of disappointment with the results as they come in, every year. So I don't take that to mean there is a problem. It's only mid July, we have LOTS of time!

For everyone complaining about tired topics, just be sure to suggest fresh new topics in every poll, really sell the idea with ideas and suggestions, and I'm sure we will end up with plenty of new categories in the final challenge list.

message 44: by Charity (new)

Charity (faeryrebel78) | 552 comments I don’t mind repeats of topics that allow for lots of options. I’ve been doing the challenge for 4 years and while I do plan to participate next year I am not focusing on challenges. While unhauling books a couple months ago I figured out I have tons of books on my shelves that I just don’t get to because they don’t fit into challenges. I don’t read as many books as some people so focusing on challenges means I don’t get many side reads done and they keep piling up. Even before we started voting I’d already decided that 2019 is going to be my year to just read and fill in topics as I go. That being said easily filled topics seem to be what I lean towards this year. I think everyone votes based on what their goal for the challenge is.
I’ve learned the last 2 years that there are way more people that vote than actually participate in discussions. Even if we allowed more time for discussion you can’t really base the way the votes go on what’s discussed because a majority of voters just don’t participate in the discussions. Discussions don’t usually sway my vote anyway.

message 45: by Marina H (new)

Marina H | 1314 comments I've considered doing the same as you next year, Charity. There are too many books I skip because they don't fit my challenges and I also tend to drop the longer books because it would take me too long reading them if I want to complete the challenge in time. And that's just dumb.

message 46: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Sterling | 452 comments Well, my votes are kind of spread out this week. One of my top votes made it to the top two, but two of my other tops were the polarizing picks, and my fourth top pick didn't show up in any of the lists. None of my bottom four are listed anywhere, so I'm hoping they don't show up again, but I'm sure at least a couple of them will.

As for the other winner, and the three bottoms, I am good with all of those, too. The bottom three are all prompts that I can do without, and the other one that won will be fun to fill.

Last year was my first year to vote for the prompts, so this year is my first year to actually participate in the challenge. I have to say I haven't been as active as I had wanted to be, because I had some health issues for a few months at the beginning of the year and often didn't feel like reading. Now that I'm back to reading more, I'm just kind of reading in any order I feel like so that I can try to make up for lost time, and I'm not really taking the time to update my reading list like I was or contribute to the A-Z folders. I hope that maybe next year, things will calm down a bit and I can participate the way I planned to this year.

message 47: by dalex (new)

dalex (912dalex) | 2095 comments Marina H wrote: "Everybody should vote they way they want to and for the prompts they like and not listen to what everybody else thinks."

I don't think discussion should be for the purpose of influencing votes but to help people consider what is possible for any given prompt.

Like, last week during the voting period there was quite a bit of discussion about the Shakespeare prompt. A lot of people voted "no" because of an initial reaction of "I hate Shakespeare." But as we discussed the prompt and the many ways to interpret it a lot of people were like, "Oh, I didn't think of that. I wish I had voted for it."

If you look at the Making the challenge more/less restrictive thread, you can see that people have a lot of ideas that can make any prompt seem more doable than it might seem to be upon first glance.

message 48: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Laura | 3783 comments Mod
The group is very flexible in what is allowed as far as discussion and participation in the challenge. Some people only do a portion of the list and others do the challenge plus their own picks from the rejected prompts.

While we technically say that everyone gets one "wildcard" to use in order to say they "completed" the challenge, it's really up to individuals in how they want to approach things.

I know I wouldn't care if someone decided they wanted to make their own, entirely unique list from the total list of suggestions. They may be limited in how much they can fill out the "progress posts" but many other group activities would look the same. We already allow outside books in the "A-Z" section and people can customize their plan in the "plan" section.

message 49: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2362 comments Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as Laura. There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm for the reject challenges right now, so people could always just do a personal reject challenge in place of the official ATY list, but still stay on for all the wonderful book chatter.

message 50: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 639 comments I didn’t vote for the tops, but they are fine with me. My two bottoms made the bottom. I’m sad so few people like non-fiction as I feel that limits the things people will vote for and non-doc has so many options! But c’est la vie.

With people so into the rejects challenge, I think it might be fun to have all all-rejects poll at some point, especially if we are going to need extra polls.