Play Book Tag discussion

The Road
This topic is about The Road
July 2018: Dystopian > The road | Cormac McCarthy | 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Idit (last edited Jul 15, 2018 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Idit | 1028 comments What a ride!
If you have followed the buddy read thread, you would have witnessed me being a chicken and freaking out.
I’m still freaked out - looking at random people in the street and trying to guess what they would do after the apocalypse.

But this book is so much more.
It’s equal parts good story, strong writing, beautiful description of a father-son relationship, big themes like goodness, faith, purpose, parenting, love, sacrifice, and choice to name few. And then - the magnificent scenery that Mccarthy sketches with sure hand. I don’t think I need to see the movie. I saw it all. So many scenes stayed in my mind.

I read this about the book: “The Road was born from a specific moment, however. In roughly 2002, Cormac and his young son, John, went to El Paso and checked into an old hotel. One night at about 2am, as John slept, Cormac went over to the window and looked out over the town. Nothing moved, but he could hear trains and described it as "a very lonesome sound". He had an image of what the town might look like in 100 years. "I thought a lot about my little boy and I wrote [some] pages... About four years later I woke up in Ireland and realised it wasn't two pages of a notebook, it was a book. And it was about that man and that little boy." The book is dedicated to his son John”

Reading this was a turning point to me - I was able to ignore the dread i was feeling and focus on the relationship. Now I could understand the man better. Amidst the horror, he and his son had meaningful time together. Flower in the desert. Even more special for the situation they are in. Every small daily comment or smile means so much more.

Other readers mentioned that nothing much happened, but I didn’t feel that. It was the mundane, that was crucial for their survival, that there was action and drama. (Also, I was relieved with every page where scary people didn’t do scary things to other people)

It’s funny how ‘masculine’ this story is. It couldn’t have been a mum I think.

I found this interesting when I read this (from some old interview with him): “His list of those whom he calls the “good writers” — Melville, Dostoyevsky, Faulkner — precludes anyone who doesn’t “deal with issues of life and death.” Proust and Henry James don’t make the cut. “I don’t understand them,” he says. “To me, that’s not literature. A lot of writers who are considered good I consider strange.”.

I of course disagree with him but can appreciate his (testosterone dripping) approach... (I assume he won’t have a woman in his favourite authors list)

Booknblues | 6886 comments Nice review.

Susie | 4488 comments Great review. I absolutely adored this book so it’s nice to see someone put so much thought in to their review.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I also gave it 4 stars Idit back in Jan 2016, when I read it. I agree with your very well done review!

message 5: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2671 comments Lovely review. I hadn’t heard the backstory - that’s so interesting.

I absolutely loved this book. I found it both astonishingly beautiful and absolutely terrifying - it wrung me out for days. Somehow it captured so much of life and love by showing death and devastation. Pure alchemy.

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Idit wrote: "What a ride!
If you have followed the buddy read thread, you would have witnessed me being a chicken and freaking out.
I’m still freaked out - looking at random people in the street and trying to g..."

Awesome review - - loved all of your thoughts on this book, and I couldn't agree with it more. So glad we see eye to eye on this one as it is one of my favorites (all time). The father/son relationship is just so moving to me . . .in the face of everything . . .and the absence of all . . .there is still love.

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments KateNZ wrote: "Lovely review. I hadn’t heard the backstory - that’s so interesting.

I absolutely loved this book. I found it both astonishingly beautiful and absolutely terrifying - it wrung me out for days. So..."

And yes, thank you for the back story which I didn't know either! Fascinating.