Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Disgrace
This topic is about Disgrace
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Cherry, C . Brittany--Disgrace informal buddy reads starts July 16, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry

Synopsis
Each day I prayed for my husband to love me again.

After fifteen years together, he walked away from me, and into the arms of another.

I didn’t know how to cope. I didn’t know my worth. I didn’t know how to exist without him by my side.

All I wanted was for him to come back to me.

Then, Jackson Emery appeared.

He was supposed to be a distraction for my mind. A summer fling. A confidence boost to my bruised heart.

We were perfect for one another, because we both knew we wouldn’t last. Jackson didn’t believe in commitment, and I no longer believed in love. He was too closed-off for me, and I was too damaged for him.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Oh, yipeee a new book from her!

Tammie | 3018 comments I've not read this author before but the cover 'looks good'. I'll give it a try...when does this start?

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Oh I am SO excited!!!! Can't wait to start this one. Checking in for Team Ginny Weasley! :D

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Tammie wrote: "I've not read this author before but the cover 'looks good'. I'll give it a try...when does this start?"

It was scheduled to start 7/16, but we can start anytime thereafter as well. I'm currently still trying to finish up another BR so I haven't started this one yet.

Side note: Brittainy C. Cherry is my absolute FAVORITE author ever!!!!! I definitely recommend all of her books! :D

Snowtulip | 4553 comments The Air He Breathes (Elements, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry made me cry like a baby!

I'm hoping to start on this one tomorrow, fingers crossed :D

message 9: by Sassafrass (last edited Jul 18, 2018 06:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Can I join this one too? It looks amazing.

SandyL | 4459 comments I'm in for this one too!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Absolutely!! Join in!!!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Snowtulip wrote: "The Air He Breathes (Elements, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry made me cry like a baby!

I'm hoping to start on this one tomorrow, fingers crossed :D"

OMGGGGG!!! That was my first Brittainy C. Cherry book and still, my favorite, with The Gravity of Us (Elements, #4) by Brittainy C. Cherry and Loving Mr. Daniels by Brittainy C. Cherry coming in at a VERY close second and third. :) She is such an amazing author. I have loved every book of hers that I've read, most of which I've devoured in one quick sitting. Haha!

I'm very excited to read this one. I set the start date for this past Monday, but I forgot Vicki (my original reading partner would be out of town for a few days). I read slower than she does, so I can still probably start with y'all. When do y'all plan to start the book/

Tammie | 3018 comments I'm going to start tonight...but will putter a bit with this one as I'm extremely busy with work. Looking forward to it...

SandyL | 4459 comments The only other books of her's I've read is Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-up Christmas Relationship by Brittainy C. Cherry , which I enjoyed - but I think it's a lot different than this one!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Snowtulip wrote: "The Air He Breathes (Elements, #1) by Brittainy C. Cherry made me cry like a baby!

I'm hoping to start on this one tomorrow, fingers crossed :D"

That was a good one

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments SandyL wrote: "The only other books of her's I've read is Our Totally, Ridiculous, Made-up Christmas Relationship by Brittainy C. Cherry, which I enjoyed - but I think it's a lot different than this one!"

I haven't read that one. I have Art & Soul downloaded to read as well. I have read the entire Elements series, as well as Loving Mr. Daniels. I've been waiting to read this one. I will start tonight with y'all. That way Vicki will have some time to wind down after her vacation and we can chat about the book. :)

I have to finish The Giver for another challenge and then I will start Disgrace. Oh boy, I'm excited.

SandyL | 4459 comments I've finished Chapter 10. Wow, I'm not sure what to think about everything.

Through Ch 4
I've got mixed feelings so far. Grace's situation is very sad (view spoiler)

I can tell that (view spoiler)

Ch 5-10
Wow! (view spoiler)

I really like (view spoiler)

Why do so many of these NA books have (view spoiler)

One thing that bugs me about the writing is the constant use of "ya know" - even Grace's dad used it!!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments First thoughts after chapter one: Grace needs to grow a spine. I'm going to read more and then I'll be back to chat after chapter 10.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Through chapter 10: there is going to be a lot more to Jackson's revelation about Grace's mom.

Also does anyone else suspect there was some link between (view spoiler)?

Snowtulip | 4553 comments SandyL wrote: "I've finished Chapter 10. Wow, I'm not sure what to think about everything.

Through Ch 4
..."

(view spoiler)

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Through chapter 10: there is going to be a lot more to Jackson's revelation about Grace's mom.

Also does anyone else suspect there was some link between [spoilers removed]?"

This is what I'm most curious about, (view spoiler)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments I agree Snowtulip.

I’m now on chapter 27 because this book is so engrossing. I just feel awful the all the loss that Jackson has suffered. And when he explained the significance of his dog, Tucker...*sigh*

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Spoilersssssss >.<

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Morgan wrote: "Spoilersssssss >.<"

Was that a spoiler? I am asking seriously because I though I was being vague. Educate me.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I agree Snowtulip.

I’m now on chapter 27 because this book is so engrossing. I just feel awful the all the loss that Jackson has suffered. And when he explained the significance of his dog, Tucke..."

Tucker is such a sweetheart, that opening chapter was a great way to start that relationship.

message 26: by Snowtulip (last edited Jul 20, 2018 04:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Up to chapter 46

Heartbroken, (view spoiler)

I'm off work today and had plans, but as you can see, I've been reading all day instead :D

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments I finished. And I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't a fan of Jackson much of the time but I could see the things that gave Grace hope.

I would have liked (view spoiler).

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments Snowtulip wrote: "Up to chapter 46

Heartbroken, [spoilers removed]

I'm off work today and had plans, but as you can see, I've been reading all day instead :D"

I was heartbroken too.

Tammie | 3018 comments I’m just through Chapter 4, Realistic so far...I’m from a small town and can relate to everyone knowing everything about each other.
My grandma used to sit out on her front porch...others did too...and watch the comings and going. I like how Jackson and Grace met...yep Grace needs to get herself together...Jackson has definite issues too...

SandyL | 4459 comments I'm up to Ch 19. I can't believe (view spoiler)

And Autumn (view spoiler)

But I did like it when Grace (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments I finally finished The Giver for a few other challenges outside of NBRC, so now I am starting Disgrace by Brittainy C. Cherry . I'm only 3% in, haha, so there's not much to report, but I already know it's going to be amazing!!

Can't wait to finally reveal y'all's spoilers once I get to were y'all and see what y'all think of it too.

Tammie | 3018 comments through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...(view spoiler)

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a couple of HEAs in here!

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments @Tammie: yes he was an even bigger d-bag than I thought at the beginning. And it just continues to reach new lows. He really needs some Karma.

SandyL | 4459 comments Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a couple of HEAs in here!"

It's really terrible how (view spoiler)

I really like Josie and Judy and I'm so glad Grace has them!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments SandyL wrote: "Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a couple of HEAs in h..."

I hated seeing Grace like that, made me mad and sad for her.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I finished. And I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't a fan of Jackson much of the time but I could see the things that gave Grace hope.

I would have liked [spoilers removed]."

I also finished :D

One of the things I always love about Cherry books is she has some great mushy lovey quotes that make my heart melt...these are a few I liked (view spoiler)

I enjoyed this one, but it's my least favorite of her books.

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments I liked those quotes too!

SandyL | 4459 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I agree Snowtulip.

I’m now on chapter 27 because this book is so engrossing. I just feel awful the all the loss that Jackson has suffered. And when he explained the significance of his dog, Tucke..."

So, also in Chapter 27 Finn (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3018 comments SandyL wrote: "Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a couple of HEAs in h..."

Positive people in one's life can make all the difference in the world! Agreed!

SandyL | 4459 comments I'm up to Chapter 44 and OMG (view spoiler)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 1142 comments YES! I kinda knew it was coming though.

SandyL | 4459 comments Sassafrass wrote: "I finished. And I really enjoyed this one. I wasn't a fan of Jackson much of the time but I could see the things that gave Grace hope.

I would have liked [spoilers removed]."

I'm done! I liked how (view spoiler)

Overall, I enjoyed this book.

Snowtulip | 4553 comments SandyL wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 44 and OMG [spoilers removed]"

I know, just killed me!

Tammie | 3018 comments I just finished...I think this book was about courage more than anything. Some times it takes the bad to get to the good!

Snowtulip | 4553 comments Tammie wrote: "I just finished...I think this book was about courage more than anything. Some times it takes the bad to get to the good!"

So true Tammie!

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Wow, wow, wow. That's all I can say.

I've finally finished this book and what an emotional roller coaster it was. Unfortunately, I related to this book so much, but sometimes, those truly are the best books.

(view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a couple of HEAs in here!"

Personally, I think... (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3018 comments Morgan wrote: "Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

Talk about puppies! I thought Finn was the (view spoiler)

Morgan Shipman (morganshipman) | 553 comments Tammie wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping there's a coup..."

I couldn't agree more, Tammie! I've had 7 myself, so it really, really hit home. Needless to say... (view spoiler)

Tammie | 3018 comments Morgan wrote: "Tammie wrote: "Morgan wrote: "Tammie wrote: "through Chapter 8 "Ya-know" I really despise Finn...[spoilers removed]

I'm enjoying the book...small town and cheating boyfriend connection. I'm hoping..."

Wow Morgan...I wish you all the best in healing and moving forward with life, I can’t even imagine the pain.

« previous 1