Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
This topic is about The Farthest Shore
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Le Guin, K Ursula--The Farthest Shore informal buddy read starts July 25, 2018

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31614 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Farthest Shore by Ursula K. Le Guin.

Synopsis
Book Three of Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea CycleDarkness threatens to overtake Earthsea: the world and its wizards are losing their magic. Despite being wearied with age, Ged Sparrowhawk -- Archmage, wizard, and dragonlord -- embarks on a daring, treacherous journey, accompanied by Enlad's young Prince Arren, to discover the reasons behind this devastating pattern of loss. Together they will sail to the farthest reaches of their world -- even beyond the realm of death -- as they seek to restore magic to a land desperately thirsty for it.With millions of copies sold worldwide, Ursula K. Le Guin's Earthsea Cycle has earned a treasured place on the shelves of fantasy lovers everywhere, alongside the works of such beloved authors as J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:16AM) (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Jenny | 5872 comments Yay, thank you!

I will be reading this one too. Team Remus Lupin.

Elen | 1110 comments I am definitely in!

Team Hermione Granger :)

Jenny | 5872 comments Elen, it looks like it is just the two of us for this one. I plan to start it later today or tomorrow. You?

Elen | 1110 comments I think Deanna is going to join us too :)

I just got the book from the library, in a couple hours I will drive back home. [What will you do to get a book - I had to go to another town for it :) ]

I may start tonight or tomorrow morning, based on how tired I will be. But I'm definitely reading it.

Lexi | 3106 comments Elen, glad you found the book. I started today and am about two chapters in. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2961 comments I'm here. I managed to catch a cold and had too much of a headache to read yesterday. I'm starting today and will come back to post comments in a few hours.

message 10: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments Hope you feel better.

I finished yesterday. (view spoiler)

Jenny | 5872 comments I am enjoying this one, with reservations. I find the language beautiful, but (view spoiler)

message 12: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments I am halfway through the book.
Agree, language is very beautiful and lyrical, but in beginning like always I have some struggles with it - I really want to fall asleep *hihi*

I like where the story is leading us and I want to know (view spoiler)

@Jenny, I agree about Ged and Arren. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2961 comments I'm about halfway as well.

Ged - (view spoiler)

Arren - (view spoiler)

The problem - (view spoiler)

message 14: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments Deanna wrote: "I'm about halfway as well.

Ged - [spoilers removed]

(view spoiler)

Jenny | 5872 comments Finished. I liked this one, but probably the least of the three.
(view spoiler)

message 16: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments Jenny wrote: "Finished. I liked this one, but probably the least of the three..."

Second one is still my favorite. I'm told the third is good.

message 17: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Lexi wrote: "Deanna wrote: "I'm about halfway as well.

Ged - [spoilers removed]

[spoilers removed]"

Lexi, I would agree with you. I understand that Ged is always seeking an adventure, but being (view spoiler)

message 18: by Elen (last edited Jul 27, 2018 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Finished.

This one is my least favorite, I feel like it had more issues and a little bit less action. But overall I liked it. I will read the last one too, to finish the series :)

(view spoiler)

@Jenny - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2961 comments Elen wrote: "Finished.

This one is my least favorite, I feel like it had more issues and a little bit less action. But overall I liked it. I will read the last one too, to finish the series :)

[spoilers remov..."

About Ged I agree. (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2961 comments Finished!

Arren - (view spoiler)

Cob - (view spoiler)

Overall, I think this is my favorite of the trilogy.

message 21: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments I like that everyone had different responses. Anyone going on to the fourth one, either now or after TTs?

Jenny | 5872 comments Probably after TT, unless somehow it works for the challenge!

What is the name of it again?

Deanna | 2961 comments Lexi wrote: "I like that everyone had different responses. Anyone going on to the fourth one, either now or after TTs?"

I'm definitely going to continue. I have the rest of the series on hold and will probably start in August once I've finished the last of my buddy reads.

message 24: by Elen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elen | 1110 comments Lexi wrote: "I like that everyone had different responses. Anyone going on to the fourth one, either now or after TTs?"

I am going to continue in August. I want to finish series as soon as possible :)

@Jenny - The 4th is called Tehanu.

message 25: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments Elen wrote: "Lexi wrote: "I like that everyone had different responses. Anyone going on to the fourth one, either now or after TTs?"

I am going to continue in August. I want to finish series as soon as possibl..."

I'll happily join if you all want to do a BR.

Jenny | 5872 comments Thanks Lexi. I will join in again if you want to do a BR.

Deanna | 2961 comments I'll do another buddy read as well. Maybe August 4th to give us time to figure out Triwizard rules and tasks?

message 28: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3106 comments Deanna wrote: "I'll do another buddy read as well. Maybe August 4th to give us time to figure out Triwizard rules and tasks?"

That works for me.

Deanna | 2961 comments Lexi wrote: "Deanna wrote: "I'll do another buddy read as well. Maybe August 4th to give us time to figure out Triwizard rules and tasks?"

That works for me."

I put in a request for a thread today.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Farthest Shore (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ursula K. Le Guin (other topics)