What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. A fantasy novel about a kingdom losing its magic

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maja (new)

Maja Todorovska Hi everyone, I need help finding a fantasy novel! I don't have the title, but here's some information about the book:
- Possibly starts with an S
- Written by an Irish man
- Book came out in the last 10 years
- Loosely about a kingdom that is losing there magic, for example the giants are shrinking, unicorns no longer have magic, etc
- The king has to find a way to save the kingdom
- There is a witch and a wizard who are the last of their kind, but are either slowly loosing their powers or have already lost them
- Cover has a city in the background that is on fire and in the foreground there is a man on a horse riding it
- It may have been translated from tradition Gaelic, but I'm not sure

This is all stuff that someone else relayed to me, so it may be choppy! If ANYONE has ANY idea as to what this novel may be, your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

message 2: by Annamariah (last edited Jul 15, 2018 06:04AM) (new)

Annamariah | 283 comments I googled a bit and found Arcanum by Simon Morden. The cover looks promising and the blurb says "Magic is Carinthia’s wealth, its protection and its way of life. So what does a magic kingdom do when it runs out of magic?"

The author is British, but otherwise it seems to be a good match.

message 3: by Celeste (new)

Celeste | 1 comments Could it be the Magic Kingdom of Landover books by Terry Brooks?

The first book is Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!

here is the blurb...
Landover was a genuine magic kingdom, complete with fairy folk and wizardry, just as the advertisement had promised. But after he purchased it for a million dollars, Ben Holiday discovered that there were a few details the ad had failed to mention. Such as the fact that the kingdom was falling into ruin. The barons refused to recognize a king and taxes hadn't been collected for years. The dragon, Strabo, was laying waste to the countryside, while the evil witch, Nightshade, was plotting to destroy no less than everything. And if that weren't enough for a prospective king to deal with, Ben soon learned that the Iron Mark, terrible lord of the demons, challenged all pretenders to the throne of Landover to a duel to the death - a duel no mere mortal could hope to win. But Ben Holiday had one human trait that even magic couldn't overcome. Ben Holiday was stubborn.

message 4: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Magic Kingdom of Landover: Volume 1 for Celeste's suggestion

message 5: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 989 comments Maybe The Glass Dragon by Irene Radford? Not by a male author, and published back in the 90s, but it is about a witch and wizard trying to save a land losing its magic.

message 6: by Sean (new)

Sean | 24 comments is it possible that it is The Last Days of Magic: A Novel by Mark L. Tompkins? the description is

What became of magic in the world? Who needed to do away with it, and for what reasons? Drawing on myth, legend, fairy tales, and Biblical mysteries, The Last Days of Magic brilliantly imagines answers to these questions, sweeping us back to a world where humans and magical beings co-exist as they had for centuries.

Aisling, a goddess in human form, was born to rule both domains and—with her twin, Anya—unite the Celts with the powerful faeries of the Middle Kingdom. But within medieval Ireland interests are divided, and far from its shores greater forces are mustering. Both England and Rome have a stake in driving magic from the Emerald Isle. Jordan, the Vatican commander tasked with vanquishing the remnants of otherworldly creatures from a disenchanted Europe, has built a career on such plots. But increasingly he finds himself torn between duty and his desire to understand the magic that has been forbidden.

As kings prepare, exorcists gather, and divisions widen between the warring clans of Ireland, Aisling and Jordan must come to terms with powers given and withheld, while a world that can still foster magic hangs in the balance. Loyalties are tested, betrayals sown, and the coming war will have repercussions that ripple centuries later, in today’s world—and in particular for a young graduate student named Sara Hill.

message 7: by El (new)

El | 502 comments The Last Days of Magic for Sean's suggestion

message 8: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 2 comments OMG I LOVED this series when I was in high school.

Celeste wrote: "Could it be the Magic Kingdom of Landover books by Terry Brooks?

The first book is Magic Kingdom for Sale - Sold!

here is the blurb...
Landover was a genuine magic kingdom, complete with fairy fo..."

message 9: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40675 comments Mod
Maja left the group. Moving to Abandoned.