All About YA discussion

Read-A-Thons > BookTubeAThon 2018!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Jul 15, 2018 04:10AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
BookTubeAThon is a YouTube-based annual read-a-thon run on this channel. It's a really professional and motivating event which anyone is free to take part in. Here is where members of this group can record our progress in the readathon. We are not officially affiliated with the BookTubeAThon or anything, I just thought it would be nice for us to have our own little community space to cheer eachother on and discuss this read-a-thon. This is what you need to know:

☺ The read-a-thon runs from July 30th - August 5th, beginning and ending at midnight in whatever time zone you're in.
☺ It's all just for fun - there are no prizes or requirements. It's all simply about encouraging you to read. However, there are giveaways, sprints, extra challenges and loads of other stuff across various social media platforms if you're interested in those. You can find out about those and get all the information about the BookTubeAThon from the host in this video.

The Reading Challenges (more info in this video)

*these are totally optional, you can interpret them however you want, do as many of them as you want, and read more than one book for multiple challenges if you want - it's all up to you*

1. Let a coin toss decide your first read (between two books of your choosing).
☻ 2. Read a book about something you want to do (e.g. going to Paris, going scuba-diving, etc.)
☻ 3. Read a book and watch the movie adaptation.
☻ 4. Read a book with green on the cover.
☻ 5. Read a book while wearing the same hat the whole time.
☻ 6. Read a book with a beautiful spine (i.e. the side of the book that you see on a bookshelf)
☻ 7. Read 7 books.

Are you planning to participate? Post your TBR down below, and keep us updated on your progress! I can't wait for this fun week of community reading. :)

message 2: by Daisy (last edited Jul 19, 2018 09:40AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
This is what I'm planning to read:

For challenge 1 I've decided to choose between two books I'm reading for study. I'm going to have to finish them both at some point so this is just a decider of which gets the boost. If it's heads I'll be reading The Peloponnesian War Athens & Sparta in Savage Conflict 431-404 by Donald Kagan , and if it's tails I'll read Sociology Themes and Perspectives by Michael Haralambos . And the results are... tails! My goal is to finish the Social Stratification chapter which I've been stuck on for about an age - that's 34 more (giant) pages. When I can motivate myself to read this book I usually read 10 pages per sitting, so this shouldn't be to hard.

For challenges 3 and 6 I've chosen Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro by Kazuo Ishiguro. I really like this edition of the book and the spine has an eye and a mouth on it... it's hard to explain but I think it looks cool. Again this is one I'm studying, and I have actually read it before, but I'm doing it again! I'm interested in watching the movie and think that would be helpful for my studies so this is the perfect opportunity to do that.

Then for a slightly lighter read I'm going to read Flying Solo (My Sister the Vampire, #11) by Sienna Mercer by Sienna Mercer. I was rereading this series last year but I had to stop when study reading got too overwhelming. It'll be really nice to get back to this fun and comforting series. I'm gonna count it for challenges 2 and 4. As far as the "something I'd like to do" thing goes, I'm dreaming about studying abroad in a European country someday, which a character does in this book, and they also attend a concert, which I've never done but would like to at some point. This is my favourite challenge of the read-a-thon - what a cool idea!

Since my first choice only counts for one challenge so far I guess I'll be wearing my hat with that one. I only own two hats - a baseball cap and a beanie, and it's a bit hot for beanies right now so baseball cap it is I suppose. Alternatively, just in case I manage to finish all these with time to spare I might pick up Remix by Non Pratt by Non Pratt, and wear a hat with that. It's been a long time since I read YA and it'd be nice to have at least one of those in here, given the group I'm posting this in! I got this free at a book event about a year ago, and just thought it could be fun (if any of you guys have read it please let me know your thoughts!). Oh, also I might try and finish one of the audiobooks I'm halfway through right now. I'm just gonna see how it goes! Oh and no way am I attempting challenge 7. That just ain't gonna happen!

message 3: by Daisy (last edited Jul 19, 2018 09:39AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
OK, I just watched Ariel Bisset's TBR video and I think what she intended with the coin toss challenge was that you choose which of the books you've already picked that you will read first through tossing a coin. I'm happy with how I did it but you guys can do it however you want. ;)

message 4: by Daisy (last edited Aug 02, 2018 01:17AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
OK, guess I'm doing this solo this time around! I've completely abandoned my tbr, and I'm not really bothered about the challenges anymore - I'm just using this week to try and prioritize reading. Here's my halfway update:

Finished Flying Solo yesterday, the first half was a bit "meh" but the ending was very cute and satisfying! I feel this has given me a boost to read more.

I've decided to give up on my Sociology book (long story) so instead I'm going to try and get a chunk out of The Peloponnesian War]. At the beginning of the week I was at page 88 and currently I'm on 123. Going well so far! (although it is over 400 pages... eek)

A total wildcard I'm already 2 fifths through is The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare . Another study read and one I am definitely aiming to finish this week.

As I said, I do feel I've got a boost in motivation to read so I'd love to get to Remix or another random YA book this week and just binge the whole thing. We'll see!