All About YA discussion

Book Talk - Middle Grade > Middle Grade Recommendations!

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daisy (last edited Jul 15, 2018 02:39AM) (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I'm a big reader of Middle Grade. I actually read it more than YA. So I wanted to open up the discussion with you guys about this fun and comforting genre. We already have some individual threads for a couple of MG books, but I'm sure there are a LOT that we all love, so I thought that putting them all in one discussion might work better.

That means this is the thread to post all your thoughts on Middle Grade books! It would be great to talk about our favourites and get some recommendations going, but feel free to also just informally chat about the books you've read or the genre in general. You can even tell us about your negative experiences with Middle Grade books too if you fancy!

Please DO NOT post spoilers for any books in this topic, unless you put them in spoiler tags, which the "some html is ok" button above your comment box will tell you how to do. If you want to get really in-depth on a particular book or series, we can definitely set up a discussion specific to that book and make that spoilery. But for now, let's go wild about Middle Grade books!

message 2: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 471 comments Mod
I'm gonna start us off with some of my favourites:

My Sister the Vampire by Sienna Mercer - This follows Olivia and Ivy, two girls who meet and discover they are long-lost twins! No only that, but one of them has a supernatural secret, and there are lots of dark secrets to be unravelled about their family's past. This is the series that got me into reading and it remains one of my favourite series of all time (it currently stands at 19 books!). It's so fun and feel-good and doesn't feel like the author's just churning out the same story - there is genuine character progression throughout the adventures that Olivia and Ivy get themselves into. The vampire aspect is cool and spooky but not scary - they are generally friendly and definitely don't kill humans or anything like that. This series is amazing at inclusive friendships (goths, cheerleaders and bookworms are mutually supportive equals), realistic family relationships, cute romance and a writing style that is not dumbed down - meaning adults can enjoy it too. The main characters are 13 - 14, but I know readers all the way from nine to nineteen who adore these books!

My Brother the Werewolf by Sienna Mercer - This is a four-book series written by the same author, following a similar story of twins, one of which is a mythical being. Only this time it's boys and they're into sports and music instead of cheerleading and goth culture. It's again fun and heart-warming with great characters and intriguing adventures.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney - Very famous this one; a series of journals by a 12ish year old boy (I'm not exactly sure) documenting the struggles of trying to be cool in Middle School and living with his crazy family. Because it's written in the perspective of a kid, it's funny and approachable, and that's not even counting the fact that there's hilarious pictures on every page too.

Goddess Girls by Joan Holub and Suzanne Williams - This is a children's spin on Ancient Greek myths, in which all the gods and goddesses are preteens attending a magical boarding school in the sky. The main characters are four friends - Athena, Aphrodite, Persephone and Artemis - and each book follows a different one of their perspectives on their own storyline. Later on we also get books from various other 'Goddess Girls'. This is a rare case for me because I have actually grown out of it now. The writing is a little less mature than the books listed above and the stories get very repetitive after a while. However, I still wanted to mention it because I was OBSESSED as a thirteen year old and this is a great series for introducing kids to Greek myths in an entertaining and not disturbing way (the various cases of rape, incest, murder, and slavery etc. from the original stories are quite cleverly adapted into a much kid-friendlier tale).

That's just a few - when I get time I'll come on here and talk about some more. The one thing I will say about all the books above is that their diversity isn't great - in all of them I can't think of a single disabled or LGBT character, and ethnicities other than white American are pretty thin on the ground too. They were all written about ten years ago at least I guess, since I came to them when I was in my pre-teens. I like to think the diversity of Middle Grade has improved since then. Anyone know of any examples of this?

message 3: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 18 comments Omg I used to love the Goddess Girls series!!