Goodreads Ireland discussion

Quarterly Irish Reads > Trip to Ireland

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Shpizner (ibiwisi) | 3 comments Hi! I will be visiting Ireland for the first time in a few weeks. Can anyone recommend a book (or two) that might give me good background/insight/perspective on that wonderful country, to help me get in the proper spirit for my trip? Thank you!

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria McDonald | 3 comments My book, 'Charlie Mac' is historical fiction based on the life of my great-grandfather who lived in Belfast during the Home Rule period. The book tells the story of how he married Mary Jane and they raised a family in Belfast during the most turbulent time in Irish history.
It is available on Amazon, there is a link on my author page on Goodreads.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Shpizner (ibiwisi) | 3 comments Thanks, Maria -- I'll check it out!

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Johnson | 1 comments Michael - I read Trinity just before I came to Ireland for the first time. I found it very illuminating and explained the 'Troubles' pretty well.

Two others I would recommend - Fall of Light and Lion of Ireland.

I hope you enjoy your trip. I immigrated to Ireland (from US) 15 years ago and have never regretted it! It is a magical place.

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Shpizner (ibiwisi) | 3 comments Thanks so much, Tracy. I'll check those out! Enjoy your life in Ireland!

message 6: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 20 comments the story collector

message 7: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 20 comments by Evie Gaughan (I hit return by mistake) I'm half way through and initially I thought 'written' for the American market and almost gave up on it.... even doubted the authors authenticity for a while.... but I've been really enjoying it

message 8: by John of Canada (new)

John of Canada (johnofcanada) | 7 comments Hi Michael,Years ago I visited Ireland and stayed with a friend at Trinity College in Dublin.Shortly thereafter I read a book called The Beastly Beatitudes of Balthazar B by J.P.Donleavy in which the protaganist describes living at Trinity.It was like being there all over again.I should give it another go.Enjoy your trip!
Also,have a go at some plays by Martin McDonagh.

message 9: by Francis (new)

Francis The Tenants of Time by Thomas Flanagan

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...