Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Abundance 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8435 comments Abundance 4 stars

The thing I love about the genres of history and historical fiction is I usually learn something along the way. Definitely true with this read.

This is the story of Marie Antoinette, told through her eyes. It begins in the year 1770 with Marie leaving Austria, at the age of 14, to marry the Dauphin of France, Louis Auguste (the future Louis XVI). The story encompasses her life as Dauphine and then Queen of France.

The story made me re-think most of what I knew about Marie. She was not a wicked self-absorbed woman, but portrayed in this book as a loving caring wife, mother and steadfast friend to a select few of the French court.

Through out the book there are correspondences between her and her mother, the Empress Marie Theresa of the House of Habsburg. Although the relationship seemed cold, it was the times they lived in I suppose. The Empress relied on the Austrian Ambassador to France, Comte de Merci to send her reports on Marie's behavior. Through these reports she knew all that went in the French Court and reprimanded or praised Marie in her letters.
Although she had 14 siblings, her mother was the only relation she held onto through-out her life.

Marie Antoinette's fall from grace made me sad. The turbulent time in France, caused by deterioration of the financial situation in France and the politics of the court were not the fault of the Queen. She spent her last years locked in a tower prison with her 2 children. She met her execution remembering her mother's lessons on courage.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9384 comments I read and loved this book just a few months ago. Like literally in May. I gave it five stars and just loved it. I like to review, and it brought it all back for me.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8435 comments Amy wrote: "I read and loved this book just a few months ago. Like literally in May. I gave it five stars and just loved it. I like to review, and it brought it all back for me."

Well, I added it in May so it must of been your review that made me pick it up ;)

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9384 comments I’m liking that!