Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Cry, the Beloved Country by Alan Paton - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 16, 2018 11:34AM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2297 comments This has been on my TBR for a very long time. It is a wonderful audio narrated by Michael York, there is another version read by another narrator but York was great IMHO.

As for the story it is set in South Africa in the late 40s. This is a story of two fathers, one white and the other native. These are the days of apartheid, the separation of the white and colored (including Indian, etc). The white father (James Jarvis) is well-off and owns land that he farms in a very efficient manner. He knows that his son is doing very well in the city of Johannesburg. He doesn't know the native father (Stephen Kumalo) who is a Zulu (Christian) priest; a kind man with a very low salary, well-liked by his parishioners but can barely afford his daily vestments. Though he doesn't know where his son has settled, he does know that he relocated to Johannesburg. They never receive any letters from him and it causes his wife a lot of pain. The priest's sister is also missing, his brother lives successfully in the city so Kumalo makes the trip. His trip is quite a stressful event but the big story happens when Arthur Jarvis, James' son is murdered.

James learns many things about his son Arthur, and Kumalo learns much about his son Absalon. This event changes things for both fathers, some very good and some just heart-breaking. This is a story not soon to be forgotten.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments I listened to the audio narrated by Frederick Davidson. Agree it's a great book!

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3098 comments Michael York gets my vote. Loved the way he read it.