Year-long NaNo discussion

21 views
Nicki Chapelway > Of Gold and Iron//Of Stars and Shadow

Comments Showing 1-50 of 286 (286 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Nicki (last edited Jul 14, 2018 11:52AM) (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Probably shouldn't be starting another story, but eh, I've never been one for common sense. I much prefer the rare stuff myself XD

Anyway, the title is still under construction hence it only being called "Fantasy WIP" but it's the first book in (what I plan to be) a trilogy. It's a portal fantasy, high fantasy, steampunk story about the fae.

Here is its Pintrest board: https://www.pinterest.com/nickichapel...


message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Ahhh.... the fae.... *smiles wickedly*

Is this like The Feast Of Starlight Trilogy!? ...... *gets excited*


message 3: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Ahhh.... the fae.... *smiles wickedly*

Is this like The Feast Of Starlight Trilogy!? ...... *gets excited*"


*smiles wickedly in turn* the fae are always very fun to write about.

It's similar, there are a few differences in the fae but not that many. The world might even be the same, though I don't know where the Forest of Night fits into the world of this story :D


message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Okay!!

Have you sent your story in for the contest yet?


message 5: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Okay!!

Have you sent your story in for the contest yet?"


Yup, now I'm just waiting to hear if I win or not :P


message 6: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments SHINE wrote: "Nicki wrote: "Probably shouldn't be starting another story, but eh, I've never been one for common sense. I much prefer the rare stuff myself XD

Anyway, the title is still under construction hence..."


There's always that guilt that you should be working on your other stories instead, but also excitement cause- new story!


message 7: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD


message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Okay cool! Let me know when you win! XD XD


message 9: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD"

Oh, I definitely should. But then I got to thinking, since I wasn't writing A Certain Sort of Madness anymore I had time on my writing schedule and this little stinker wormed right in XD

I justify it by saying that this is the first book I want to traditionally publish. I want to go with a smaller publishing company first instead of one of the big ones like I would try for League of Thieves or my Top Secret Project.


message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Okay cool! Let me know when you win! XD XD"

I'll let you know if I win ;P ;P ;P


message 11: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD"

Oh, I definitely should. But then I got to thinking, since I wasn't writing A Cer..."


That makes sense, definitely. *nods* Let me say, my admiration for your ability to juggle projects may never cease. XD


message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD"

Oh, I definitely should. But then I got to thinking, since I wasn't..."


That's how I justify it anyway ;P This was a story idea that I actually dreamed up and I haven't been able to get it out of my head since. Honestly, I don't know how I can juggle that many projects either, but at the moment it's working so I shall try not to jinx myself XD


message 13: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD"

Oh, I definitely should. But then I got to thinking, s..."


DON'T JINX YOURSELF. I'm in awe. XD


message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Watching this conversation is quite funny....


message 15: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "DANG IT NICKI! *grins* Can't wait to see more about this one, even though you SHOULD be focusing! XD"

Oh, I definitely should. But then I got ..."


XD I shall try! Honestly, I think it's because my brain has ADHD so I'm always jumping from idea to idea and that's actually where it is in its element. Amidst the chaos ;P


message 16: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Watching this conversation is quite funny...."

XD Well I'm glad you find it amusing.


message 17: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Okay, so I have a temporary title for until I have something better, but until then I'll be calling this story....

drum roll please...

Of Gold and Iron


message 18: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/16/18- 1,628 words.

Here's the first couple lines...

I shouldn’t have eaten earlier.
I am seriously regretting all of my life choices right now, but that one is definitely at the top of the list.



message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments bum bum bum buummmmm...... da da da dummm......

Beautiful.... once again your story is amazing....


message 20: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "bum bum bum buummmmm...... da da da dummm......

Beautiful.... once again your story is amazing...."


Aww thank you *blushes*


message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments *smiles*


message 22: by Merenwen (new)

Merenwen Inglorion | 389 comments Nicki wrote: "7/16/18- 1,628 words.

Here's the first couple lines...

I shouldn’t have eaten earlier.
I am seriously regretting all of my life choices right now, but that one is definitely at the top of the list."


But why? Why does this person regret eating? A battle? A high-speed chase? Carnival rides?? :P


message 23: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Merenwen wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/16/18- 1,628 words.

Here's the first couple lines...

I shouldn’t have eaten earlier.
I am seriously regretting all of my life choices right now, but that one is definitely at the ..."


High speed chase ;P


message 24: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/17/18- 1,046 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I scoot back, but the wolf lowers down as if to pounce.
“Game over?” I say forcing a smile.
The wolf bares its teeth and lunges at me.
I lean back as it snaps its teeth only inches from my face. “I get it! I lost.”



message 25: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "7/17/18- 1,046 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I scoot back, but the wolf lowers down as if to pounce.
“Game over?” I say forcing a smile.
The wolf bares its teeth and lunges at me.
I lean back as it..."


My goodness, now I'm curious...


message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Same

That. Looked. Extremely. Interesting.


message 27: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/17/18- 1,046 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I scoot back, but the wolf lowers down as if to pounce.
“Game over?” I say forcing a smile.
The wolf bares its teeth and lunges at me.
I l..."


XD I'll probably try to cook up a rough synopsis later today. Maybe. If I can. Writing synopsises can be hard y'know?


message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Same

That. Looked. Extremely. Interesting."


Thanks. I'm glad you think so XD


message 29: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "7/17/18- 1,046 words.

Here's an excerpt...

I scoot back, but the wolf lowers down as if to pounce.
“Game over?” I say forcing a smile.
The wolf bares its teeth and lung..."


It definitely is. But that would be amazing! (And rough is totally okay for working synopses...XD)


message 30: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments :) lol


message 31: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Ugh, okay, so this is really bad but it was the best I could come up with so be content XD

Jaye MacCullagh and her brother Robin are the next generation of gifted humans tasked with protecting the gateways between the human world and that of the Otherworld, the home of the faeries of Irish legend- which actually aren’t really a legend. Except Jaye isn’t gifted. When she was born, it appears that she was overlooked by both the faeries of the Seelie Court who bless the Guardians and the faeries of the Unseelie Court who kindly bestow curses on them. Still, she trains as a Guardian, guarding the gateway, and rounding up any stray faeries that may accidentally maliciously find themselves on earth.

But when the gateway between worlds is destroyed, Jaye and Robin find themselves trapped in the wrong world. The faerie realm is a dangerous place, there was a reason earth needed Guardians protecting it from the Otherworld, and Jay and Robin are out of their element. Their only hope to get back home is to rebuild the gateway on their side and to do that, they need a reluctant faerie escort to guide them safely through the dangerous faerie courts.

Enter Ravven Crowe, a mischievous, arrogant solitary faerie who is being held against his will by by these pathetic humans. But even a captive faerie can’t be trusted completely.



message 32: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD


message 33: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, because that's not even what the main conflict is cause there is also a lot doing with four faerie courts and their politics and someone trying to start a war with the human world, BUT I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT A WAY TO SAY ALL OF THAT!!! *hits head on keyboard*


message 34: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, because that's not even what the main conflict is cause ..."


Oh, I definitely get that. Try avoiding every spoiler in the plot of my books. XD It's SO INSANELY HARD.

What's your approximate goal for words on this project?


message 35: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, because that's not even what the main conf..."


Those aren't even including my twists and spoilers and such, I just have too many story elements *cries*. I know your pain though, trying to avoid spoilers for my Top Secret Project is murder.

Oh, somewhere between 70,000-120,000 words cause that's the word limit for the publishing company I want to submit this little sucker to.


message 36: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, because that's not even what ..."


So you have one in mind. *nods* Which one is it?


message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Nicki.... amazing... like all your books! Can I like have a copy of this too? ( of course I can.... ) but um finish it quickly so I may buy it .... or maybe I need your other books first.... I can't decide. ..


message 38: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, because that's ..."


Yup, it's Entangled: Teen.


message 39: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Nicki.... amazing... like all your books! Can I like have a copy of this too? ( of course I can.... ) but um finish it quickly so I may buy it .... or maybe I need your other books first.... I can'..."

Aww thanks, I'm working on it and sincerely hoping to get this story written up pretty fast. Honestly, it's up to you, the other books you can have sooner since they're, um, finished XD This one you have to wait for because I'm only just finishing chapter one.


message 40: by R.F. Gammon (new)

R.F. Gammon (rfgammon) | 417 comments Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to the synopsis, be..."


Ooh, interesting. I'm going to have to look into them.


message 41: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/18/18- 899 words.

Here's an excerpt...

Dad’s gift is that he can hear. Like, really well. As in, he can overhear the conversation that happens on his doorstep, with the door, closed, while he’s upstairs, and the music is playing, kind of well. But that doesn’t exactly explain why he just suddenly decided to shove a dress into my arms and tell me that I’m going to crash a high school party.
Aren’t parents supposed to discourage that kind of behavior?



message 42: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "Nicki wrote: "R.F. wrote: "THIS SOUNDS SO GOOD OH MY WOOOOOOORD"

YAY! I'm glad you liked it. I felt like I didn't have a good conclusion to th..."


They're the publishing company for the book that I'm currently reading. Bring Me Their Hearts


message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Awesome snippet!!


message 44: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Awesome snippet!!"

Thanks! :D


message 45: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 7/31/18- 1,507 words.

Here's an excerpt...

Robin shakes his head. “And what if the faerie had already disarmed you?”
I push to my feet and shrug. “Well then, I suppose I’ll be dead.”
“See?” Robin cries. “This is what I’m talking about. You have such a quitter attitude. It’s like you don’t care if you live or not.”
Oh believe me, I care very much and would rather prefer to stay alive. “You’re the one who disarmed me in the hands of a hypothetical murderous faerie! If anyone wants me dead here, I’d say it’s you.”



message 46: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 8/1/18- 1,047 words.

Here's an excerpt...

And so that’s how I found myself in our public park after sundown, dressed in a strappy, knee length purple dress that clashes horribly with my hair, squeezing through a crowd of dancing teenagers mentally repeating to myself, “Act like you fit in or they’ll know you’re a complete impostor,” over and over like that is somehow going to help me manage to control my anxiety. All the while, fearing that CIA agents will swoop in and drag me off for going to a party uninvited. Not to mention the fact that I’m carrying concealed weapons. Without a permit.


message 47: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Can I say awesome.... or is that going to far!? Great job Nicki!! #Issoveryproud ..... XD XD


message 48: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments Hannah Schuck wrote: "Can I say awesome.... or is that going to far!? Great job Nicki!! #Issoveryproud ..... XD XD"

I wouldn't say that's going too far ;P Thank you so much :D


message 49: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Dragina | 1745 comments Haha.... xd


message 50: by Nicki (new)

Nicki Chapelway | 2171 comments 8/3/18- 2,058 words.

Here's an excerpt...

“Sacred waters. I always heard that mortals were supposed to be hideous, but you must be the most deformed of them all.”
I whip my head back to him, my brows furrowing. I frown. Is he speaking to me? What? I glance over my shoulder again to make sure that there isn’t anyone behind me, we’re alone still. I blink twice and turn back to him, my frown deepening even further. Why on earth- and the Otherworld for that matter- would he rescue me just to insult me? It makes less than zero sense.
“What is that you are doing to your face?” he asks, sounding genuinely horrified. He frowns hypocritically as he waves a his hand toward me. His fingers are long and pale, graceful. “Whatever it is, stop.”



« previous 1 3 4 5 6
back to top