Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Who Am I?--Gustav Klimt

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments ________'s father, was a struggling gold engraver who had immigrated..., and his mother, was musically talented, although she had never realized her dream of becoming a professional musician. Perhaps genetically predisposed to the arts, then, ______ displayed a notable talent from an early age, and at 14 years old left his normal school to attend the [city} School of Arts and Crafts on a full scholarship, no small matter considering both his youth and the relative poverty in which he had been raised.

He focused his studies on architectural painting. his early ambition as an artist was to simply become a drawing teacher. _______’s horizons began to broaden, however, when his budding talent earned him various small commissions while he was still in school.

Although _________ continued to align himself with the more traditional factions of the art world, he was soon to experience changes in his personal life that would send him off on a path all his own.

It was the personal tragedy of the following year that would have the most significant influence on the course of __________’s art, when both his father and brother died. Profoundly affected by their passing, ________ began to reject the naturalistic trappings of his training in favor of a more personal style, one that relied heavily on symbolism and drew from a wide range of influences.

But continuing his quest for a more meaningful, personal artistic freedom, in [year] ________ and a group of like-minded artist resigned their membership in the Vienna Artists’ Association and founded a new organization known as the Vienna Secession. Although primarily rejecting classical, academic art, the group did not focus on any one particular style, instead focusing its efforts on supporting young nontraditional artists, bringing international art to Vienna and exhibiting the works of its members. ________ was nominated their first president.

But perhaps most significant success..._______ was in the midst of what is commonly referred to as his “Golden Phase.”

Perhaps nothing can sum up ___________’s later years and work better than his own words: “I have never painted a self-portrait. I am less interested in myself as a subject for painting than I am in other people, above all women.” Indeed, the majority of his later work features sketches and painting of women, typically in various states of undress or full nudity. A lifelong bachelor, _________ had countless affairs during his lifetime, frequently with his models, and fathered some 14 children along the way.

____________ suffered a stroke that left him partially paralyzed. He was subsequently hospitalized, and while there contracted pneumonia, of which he died .

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Schiele?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Schiele?"

Nope. Sorry, I'm not sure who Schiele is. I tried to make them easier, I would say 'more' famous artists, but that doesn't mean artists that I don't know aren't famous, I just don't know them all.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Clue: Really liked women!

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Clue One of my most famous paintings uses a lot of gold

message 6: by Connie (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:45PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 386 comments Gustav Klimt

Thanks for the "gold" hint, Heather. I saw the movie "Woman in Gold", starring Helen Mirren. It was about his painting "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer" which was stolen by the Nazis. It is a gorgeous golden painting.

"The Kiss" is another beautiful golden painting.

Paintings: http://historylists.org/art/list-of-1...
Film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman_i...

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8544 comments Connie wrote: "Gustav Klimt

Thanks for the "gold" hint, Heather. I saw the movie "Woman in Gold", starring Helen Mirren. It was about his painting "Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer" which was stolen by the Nazis. I..."

Great, Connie! And thank you for the additional information!