Play Book Tag discussion

Indian Horse
This topic is about Indian Horse
Archive: Other Books > Indian Horse by Richard Wagamese - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Jul 14, 2018 08:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

annapi | 5159 comments Saul Indian Horse has hit bottom, and when in alcoholism therapy he is encouraged to tell his story, he prefers to write it down instead of speaking to the group. From his childhood with his native family, to an abusive children's home, to his escape on a hockey rink, to a self-imposed isolation, this is Saul's life.

I have to say, it was difficult for me to remember that this book is fiction, because it sounds so very real, like a memoir. While it never forgets that there is beauty in the world, it is also in many parts very dark, as it speaks of a gut-wrenchingly hard life. Like Saul in the book, I took solace in the parts where he speaks almost transcendentally about hockey and his love for the sport. It all sounds so very painfully personal.

Can anybody really write like this without having first-hand experience about all the subjects he has put to paper? Mesmerizing as it was, I had to make myself to finish the book without putting it down, because I knew that if I didn't push all the way through its darkness to the end, I would have difficulty going back to it, it made me so sad and angry.

I would love to read more by this author, but I really have to take a break with some lighter fare first. But I highly recommend this to everyone!

message 2: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2671 comments Lovely review, Annapi. It sounds excellent - one for the TBR with a health warning attached, perhaps

LibraryCin | 9079 comments This one was really good! Glad you thought so, too!

I believe this author passed away recently. Looks like just over a year ago:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...

He was only 61. I haven't read any of this others, at this point.

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments I’ve had this author on my radar for a while now. I’ll start looking for his books- this sounds really good!

message 5: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments This sounds great. Thanks for your review.