Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2018 > September 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1790 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for September 2018.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on July 19 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 2: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Aviles | 8 comments Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
I would like to nominate this book again. I like the topic of Artificial Intelligence a lot. What do you think?

message 5: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva | 11 comments I'd like to nominate Other Minds: the Octopus, the Sea and Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith.

message 7: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 35 comments Daniel wrote: "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
I would like to nominate this book again. I like the topic of Artificial Intelligence a lot. What do you think?"

It's in my "to-read" shelf too. Not sure if I want to read it this month, though.

message 8: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Shabbeer wrote: "I nominate Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup"

This book was published May 21, 2018, less than three months ago. Wait a few months and nominate it again.

message 9: by Martin (new)

Martin Oetiker | 17 comments I'd like to nominate "She Has her Mother's Laugh" by Carl Zimmer

message 11: by Erynn (new)

Erynn Wilson (3rynn) | 1 comments Hi, all. I would also like to nominate - Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence.

message 12: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Martin wrote: "Here is the link for the book - She Has Her Mother's Laugh: The Powers, Perversions, and Potential of Heredity"

I've got my eye on that too, but it's still a little too new. Just published at the end of May 2018. Please try again in a few months.

message 15: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 431 comments Renata wrote: "I'd like to nominate Other Minds: the Octopus, the Sea and Deep Origins of Consciousness by Peter Godfrey-Smith."
I second that. I read it and found it profound, couldn't put it down.

message 17: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Jul 15, 2018 11:13PM) (new)

Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes
The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes"

Joel, I admire your determination. Don't give up. :)

message 18: by Arko (new)

Arko | 5 comments Gödel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter

message 19: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Arko wrote: "Gödel Escher Bach by Douglas Hofstadter"

We read that in June 2012.

message 20: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanj13) | 93 comments I recently read Tamed: Ten Species That Changed Our World by Alice Roberts and thought it was really good.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I’d like to add To Be a Machine by Mark O’Connell. I bought it today and so am excited to read it!

message 22: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Betsy wrote: "Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Joel, I admire your determination. Don't give up. :)"

One day we'll read it!

It really is a classic. The Gold standard for science history.

message 23: by Leah (new)

Leah Markum | 3 comments Joel wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

Joel, I admire your determination. Don't giv..."

I keep voting for it. After I saw it a few times I decided it had seniority. It's also fun to keep rooting for it like it's an underdog.

message 24: by Garrett (new)

Garrett (gman1312) | 24 comments Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

I bought this a few months ago hoping it would win the poll one of these times.

message 25: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 174 comments Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

This is a very good read.

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 431 comments It does sound very good. Guess we ought to read it!

message 27: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments I'm flattered, guys. Maybe this will be its month!

To be honest, I did get about halfway through it a few years back, and then put it down and didn't have a chance to get back to it. I'm waiting to read it as part of a group read.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments It's an excellent book.

message 29: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cseydel) | 28 comments I want to read it, but I think it might require two months. :-)

message 30: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments True. It's over seven hundred pages (the rest is the notes, bibliography, and index). Then again, Emperor of All Maladies was also about that long and we did read it in this group, and it was one of the best I've ever read. It would be a shame if the only thing keeping people from reading it is the length. I've read (or at least started reading) books that were even longer (Leckie's Delivered From Evil, Caro's Power Broker, Yergin's The Prize) and those are the best. We could start it one month and keep the discussion open for two month. Betsy?

message 31: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cseydel) | 28 comments Oh, I'll still vote for it. I'm just saying, I'm a slow reader. My impression is the discussion threads stay open indefinitely? New posts can be added anytime. (Whether anyone engages, a month later, will be another matter.)

message 32: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments True. Discussions are open indefinitely (at least I think so).

message 33: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Joel wrote: "True. Discussions are open indefinitely (at least I think so)."

True. There's no time limit on discussions.

message 34: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Daniel wrote: "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence"

I have his earlier book, Our Mathematical Universe: My Quest for the Ultimate Nature of Reality on my to-read. I think it's considered a classic at this point.

message 35: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Aviles | 8 comments Jehona wrote: "Daniel wrote: "Life 3.0: Being Human in the Age of Artificial Intelligence
I would like to nominate this book again. I like the topic of Artificial Intelligence a lot. What do you t..."

=) hope we read it at some point...

message 36: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Aviles | 8 comments Katy wrote: "Joel wrote: "The Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes

This is a very good read."

I could go for this one as well

message 37: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are closed. Please vote for your preference at the following poll no later than July 24:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.