Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best discussion

1 view
Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kalyani Kalyani Life is a mess; a jumble of disjointed sentences; a collection of dirty smudges that, when put together, yields no particular shape or form. You have to live through your entire life before you can begin to make any sense of it, and maybe not even then. Pondering over Life fills me with despair and a deep sense of unease.

Fiction, on the other hand, is a tidy little thing; a straightforward arrangement of dots that the narrator slowly, tantalizingly connects to finally reveal the picture that is the story. There is no hidden agenda and no room for loose ends.

Fiction leaves me feeling content. Complete. At peace.

Read more about Kalyani’s views on life in Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best by Kalyani – a story about a 40 year old IT professional whose neat and boring life suddenly turns upside down because of downsizing at work. And though Kalyani manages to land on her feet, she finds that her life has changed forever…

Kalyani Kalyani But a strange sort of change had come over me, the most telling symptom of which was this television series that I watched every day. A few years ago, a forty-minute episode of a daily re-run would not have been the most-looked-forward-to hour of the day. In fact, I am fairly certain that back in the days, I hadn’t even had a favourite TV serial because I simply had no time for such frivolity. But now I did, and I was so addicted to it that all my current passwords were based on characters from the serial.

The show in question revolved around a pair of brothers who lead an exciting and meaningful life hunting demons. A kind of edgy, modern day Hardy Boys drama in which the brothers hate their demon-filled, friendless, loveless, fatherless, motherless, mortgage-less and rootless lives. I could totally identify with them. I hated my life too, but for entirely different reasons — if my life had had a Facebook page, its status would read: Dizzyingly Boring.

Read more about Kalyani’s life in Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best– a story about a 40 year old IT professional whose neat and boring life suddenly turns upside down because of downsizing at work. And though Kalyani manages to land on her feet, she finds that her life has changed forever…

Kalyani Kalyani “He is asking me to go to Pune! How can I go? Am I just supposed to dump my husband and go off?” One of them wailed.

The other replied, “At least they are giving you something. I came here straight from campus and they never put me on a project. And now my bullshit bench manager is asking for a presentation on what all I have learnt in the past two years!” She sounded close to tears. They reached out to each other across the aisle and held hands, speechlessly communicating shared helpless rage.

I was torn between sympathy and contempt, between feeling that the poor girls deserved better and wondering what on earth that stupid girl had been doing, sitting idle for the past two years.

“It is a big fashion nowadays, yaar,” the first girl commented, throwing a sidelong glance at me. She raised her voice and continued, “Anything wrong in the software industry, they simply blame us graduates. We are not professional, we are not skilled, we are not employable… it is so easy to just dump everything on us, no?”

Both girls turned their cold gaze upon me again. Fearing that I might be called upon to represent the Management on matters most unpleasant, I quickly put on a smile-mask, raised my cell phone to my ear, and made several ‘uh-huh’ noises into it. I often used this tactic to evade sticky situations despite the fact that on one such occasion my situation had graduated from sticky to pathetic when the damned thing had started ringing loudly into my ear while I was busy having a fake conversation.

A few minutes later the girls turned away. Bitterly regretting my cowardice, I berated myself for not having taken the opportunity to tell the poor things that I agreed with them. In my opinion, it was plain dumb to blame graduates for not being employable from day one, considering we insisted on hiring them from colleges that claimed to teach modern science in the hope that their students would one day use their superior knowledge to invent a solar-powered-spaceship, instead of simply using it to make enough money to buy the damned contraption.

Read more about Kalyani’s life in Bend Your Knees & Do Your Best– a story about a 40 year old IT professional whose neat and boring life suddenly turns upside down because of downsizing at work. And though Kalyani manages to land on her feet, she finds that her life has changed forever…