SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Recommendations and Lost Books > Speculative fict. /w spies & angels -- early 2000s-ish

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather Phillips The book I am looking for is speculative fiction of some kind -- Sci Fi or Fantasy. Though I don't remember it being "adult" in any way, it was obviously aimed at grown-ups, not kids or YA audiences. It took place in an alternate present (or maybe very recent past) in which angels (or beings that look like angels) had appeared in the world. They formed a new "overclass" and were keeping humans in a state of subjugation though a combination of religion and outright political persecution. There are some humans who have formed a resistance/ spy network, and one of the main characters is a part of this network. I want to say that the book opens with the main character trying to make her way to a safe house, but I'm not sure of that.

Things I know about this book:

* I remember thinking that the author's name seemed suitable, given the angelic/heavenly subject matter of the books. The author's name was not one I recognized, though, so they were not famous.

* I read it in a trade paperback size

* I bought and read the book after finding it in the "new releases" section of the Sci Fi/Fantasy part of a Borders books. I don't know if the book had never been released before, or if it was just newly released in paperback, but there were a stack of them in "new releases", so I could tell they were there on purpose.

* I lived in the town with this Borders between 2001 and 2003, so it would have had to be in some sense "new" sometime during that time frame.

Books that I know it is not:

* Either the Angelology or Angelopolis books written by Danielle Trussoni.

* Any of Faith Hunter's Rogue Mage books.

* An Occupation of Angels by Lavie Tidhar.

* Any part of Sharon Shinn's Samaria series.

* Part of the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by by Laini Taylor

Thank you -- I really appreciate your help.

message 2: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments perhaps Angelfall and the Penryn & The End Of Days Series