The YA Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keanna (new)

Keanna (keannaluna) I wanted to make the topic so we can talk about books based on/with characters who are, LGBTQ+ ♡ Feel free to leave recommendations of LGBTQ+ books or just your general favourite LGBTQ+ characters/books below and we can talk about them!

message 2: by Isabella (new)

Isabella (isayouthere) | 8 comments Last month I read Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde and it has AMAZING bisexual rep, anxiety rep, and Aspergers rep. One of the main characters is bisexual and she had recently gotten out of a relationship with a boy and entered into one with a girl which I thought was great because we never see bisexual girls who were in a relationship with someone of the opposite sex in books. I think it’s important to show all sides of bisexuality which I think is part of the reason I liked this book so much!

message 3: by Joy (new)

Joy (just_joy3) One of my all time favorite books has LGBTQ+ rep and it is Simon Vs. The Homosapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli. I read Simon Vs. last december before I even knew of a movie adaptation and it got me out of a really bad reading slump! Simon Vs. is a very adorable contemporary and it really normalizes and does not trope, oversexualize, or make the whole novel's subject contents about Simon's sexuality. The book really touches on themes of coming of age and high school. All the side characters and writing style are just weaved in perfectly. If you want to read more bi rep, you should read the sequel Leah On The Offbeat, whose main protagonist is bisexual, and The Gentleman's Guide To Vice and Virtues by Mackenzi Lee.
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens AgendaLeah on the Offbeat The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

message 4: by Liz (new)

Liz (bizyreader) | 4 comments I just read a great book called And She Was by Jessica Verdi. It was amazing for me as a cis gender to read about transgender. When I looked at reviews on Goodreads I was taken aback by some of the comments made by transgender people who had rated the book, but never finished reading it because of the way one transgender character was portrayed in the beginning of the story. For me, that character and the character flaws were eye-opening and thought provoking.

I also just read The Summer of Jordi Perez by Amy Spaulding. It was a very cute romance in which some characters happened to be LGBT. I ❤️ this! It is a book my students who are romance readers will all like. And I love the idea that my students who are LGBTQ+ can read a story with characters like them who are not marginalized, stereotyped or struggling with coming out.

message 5: by Melrose's (new)

Melrose's (melrosesplace01) | 3 comments I recently read The Seven Husband of Evelyn Hugo despite of the struggle that the main character experienced because she was a famous actress and was madly in love with her co-actress during the 60's to 90's ofc LGBTQ had bad rep, so they were forced to hide for decades before coming out. It was such a powerful and beautiful story and I highly recommend it.

adorkylibrarian | 12 comments I highly recommend George by Alex Gino. It's written for middle grade readers and it's about a little girl named George and she KNOWS shes a girl but she physically developed as a boy so everyone thinks shes a boy. George doesn't have the words or knowledge about what it means to be "transgender", she just knows she is a girl and she really really wants to play the girl character of Charlotte in their school's production of Charlotte's Web.

The author Alex Gino is transgender herself and while the writing itself is pretty average, the story that she tells is wonderful, handled well, and important for young readers to have access to.

message 7: by Becca (new)

Becca (much-ado-about-literature) Kaylen wrote: "I highly recommend George by Alex Gino. It's written for middle grade readers and it's about a little girl named George and she KNOWS shes a girl but she physically developed as a boy so everyone t..."
Alex Gino is actually genderqueer, not transgender, and uses they/them pronouns! But I totally agree that their work is so important and I wish there were more books like this when I was younger! George is such a cute story it had me in tears.

AnotherBooking_ | 16 comments I'd recommend Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, 'cause I surprisingly loved it and would happily recommend it to this LGBTQ+ community.
They Both Die At The End is nice, but the sole focus sadly is the storyline, the romance element occuring nearing the end.
Hope this helped, I haven't read too many LGBTQ+ books, but these are my absolute best reads for now :')

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Molina Acosta (paumolaco) | 2 comments There’s actually a surprising amount of LGBT fiction I’d put in the YA category. There’s Huntress, by Malinda Lo, which is a particular favorite of mine and has a lesbian romance in a fantasy setting. It’s also a prequel for her other book called Ash, which I haven’t read but is on my list and apparently also has LGBT rep in it. Keeping You a Secret by Julie Anne Peters is a very LGBT101 book (standard coming out narrative) but was my lesbian awakening as a preteen/teen and I’d definitely recommend it if you’re looking for that kind of story. Julie Anne Peters also writes a lot of other LGBT fiction that I haven’t read yet. I haven’t read it, but The Miseducation of Cameron Post is both a movie and a book, and by all accounts is very good. The Perks of Being a Wallflower gets flack for being really overwrought and it’s like half valid but there is a gay man so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I’m sure there’s more if I can hunt them down.

message 10: by V.S (new)

V.S Some of my favorites are:
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe, #1) by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
The Foxhole Court (All for the Game, #1) by Nora Sakavic

message 11: by Helena (new)

Helena S I just read a really good graphic novel called Bloom. It's so adorable and fun to read!

message 12: by Dan (new)

Dan For anyone who has been meaning to read Heartstopper Volume One by Alice Oseman, but has not yet brought it.
It is currently on sale for 99p as an ebook for your kindle on amazon!