The Readers Review: Literature from 1714 to 1910 discussion

Disappearances
This topic is about Disappearances
2018/19 Group Reads - Archives > Disappearances by Elizabeth Gaskell

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator (last edited Jul 14, 2018 02:32PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gem  | 796 comments Mod
This is the discussion for Disappearances being read as a companion to the July read of Mary Barton by Elizabeth Gaskell.

READING SCHEDULE
July 1 through July 31.

AVAILABILITY
In the collection of The Grey Woman and other Tales on Project Gutenberg.

BACKGROUND
I found absolutely nothing regarding this short story. Not even a description of the story. If anyone has anything and would like to add it below, please feel free.

message 2: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4497 comments Mod
I just finished this story. It’s an odd one as It isn’t really plot driven so it doesn’t go anywhere. It was interesting that all the disappearances were men, and the strange feeling that the new police force would have figured all of them out.

message 3: by Gem , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gem  | 796 comments Mod
I found this one odd as well. It appeared to me to be a group of stories that were only loosely related due to the various disappearances. I kind of assumed it would be disappearances in the same village/city. I'm not really sure what to make of this one.

message 4: by Deborah, Moderator (new)

Deborah (deborahkliegl) | 4497 comments Mod
⊱✿Gem✿⊰ wrote: "I found this one odd as well. It appeared to me to be a group of stories that were only loosely related due to the various disappearances. I kind of assumed it would be disappearances in the same v..."

I felt the same way

message 5: by Roman Clodia (new)

Roman Clodia This seems to contain the potential plotlines for a handful of Gothic/mystery novels! I guess it's suggesting that the advent of formal police/detectives will largely do away with these unfinished disappearance stories - if only Gaskell could look forward to the vast market for crime novels which turn on these themes of vanished people, secret murders and switched identities.

message 6: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie | 2939 comments Mod
I ask myself what the point of this story was, other than a list of disappearances.

I have a copy of Gothic Tales from the library and I hope the others are more interesting.

message 7: by Gem , Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gem  | 796 comments Mod
Rosemarie wrote: "I ask myself what the point of this story was, other than a list of disappearances."

Exactly, I thought it would be a mystery but it read more like a police blotter.

message 8: by Lori, Moderator (new)

Lori Goshert (lori_laleh) | 1435 comments Mod
Was it even a story? I had the idea that Gaskell was something of an ethnographer, so maybe these are just accounts she's heard?

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

In that case, why is it the very first story in a book called Gothic Tales. It seems to be based on factual events, but why is it the first tale in the collection?

message 10: by Rosemarie, Moderator (new)

The next story in the book is called "The Old Nurse's Story",and it's a good one.