Play Book Tag discussion

White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
This topic is about White Nights
Archive: Other Books > White Nights / Ann Cleeves. 2.25 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 9079 comments 2.25 stars

A stranger has wandered into an art opening on the Shetland Islands, and makes a scene. He is later found dead – it is initially deemed a suicide, but on closer inspection, it appears to be a murder.

So, the premise sounds really good. I was hopeful. But, I was also listening to the audio, and it just couldn’t hold my interest. I did follow enough at the start to get my little summary (and it’s why the extra .25 stars), but it really went downhill after that, and I could rarely focus on what was going on. It makes me not want to continue the series, but I feel like I should try the 3rd one, just not on audio, and decide from there. I don’t remember the first book blowing me away, either, though I did rate it as “good”.

message 2: by annapi (last edited Jul 13, 2018 04:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

annapi | 5159 comments I was disappointed by this one too. But this is the worst of the lot, the rest are better. Book 3 is the basis for the first season of the TV series Shetland. I found it interesting to see where they made changes, and I liked what they did for the show.

message 3: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments The show is fabulous, for sure. I’ve only read Raven Black (3*, and it was before I watched the show) but I definitely want to read the others. May not start with this one, lol

LibraryCin | 9079 comments annapi wrote: "I was disappointed by this one too. But this is the worst of the lot, the rest are better. Book 3 is the basis for the first season of the TV series Shetland. I found it interesting to see where th..."

Thanks, Anna! I hope I like the next one better. I've made a mental note to not listen to the audio for it!

I didn't even know there was a tv show until I saw some of the other reviews!

annapi | 5159 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I didn't even know there was a tv show until I saw some of the other reviews!"

The TV show only used the stories of two books - season 1 (two episodes) used book 3, Red Bones, and season 2 (two episodes) used book 1, Raven Black. Season 3 was six episodes and was written for the show. I believe they will do the same for season 4 but I will have to wait til I can find it for free somewhere.

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Where is it airing? Is it on Netflix? Or a regular cable channel? If not, I likely won't have access to it. Thanks!

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2671 comments I watched it on Netflix. Our version is a bit different from the North American one, but hopefully it’s there

LibraryCin | 9079 comments KateNZ wrote: "I watched it on Netflix. Our version is a bit different from the North American one, but hopefully it’s there"

Thank you, Kate! I'll check there!