Play Book Tag discussion

In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox
This topic is about In Such Good Company
Archive: Other Books > In Such Good Company:... by Carol Burnett 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1663 comments In Such Good Company: Eleven Years of Laughter, Mayhem, and Fun in the Sandbox by Carol Burnett
4 stars

I listened to this on Audible and there were a couple of times that I was laughing so hard I was crying.

I enjoyed hearing the behind the scenes happenings that lead to the creation of the show. I watched it in syndication growing up and it was one of my favorite shows ever!! I LOVE Tim Conway. He is hilarious!! This book brought back a lot of those memories so I was able to laugh all over again. I had to go look up a couple of the skits on youtube

My only complaint is that a lot of the book was Carol telling us what happened in the skit, some of them were long and it got boring. It was A LOT of just telling us about various skits. I was fine when there was a bunch of behind the scenes stories that went along with the skit, but when it was just a replay of the skit in words... eh.... I could go look it up on youtube if I wanted.

Regardless, Carol is one of my favorite people of all time. She is classy and hilarious! I thoroughly enjoyed listening along as she reminisced about the eleven years of her show.

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 9374 comments I still watch that show every single night. Or or I record them. I have seen each of these episodes so many times that you would be shocked a person can watch them over and over again but they never fail to make me laugh. Plus they remind me of my childhood. My parents watch them too when They come to visit. The humor in those shows were timeless! I cannot tell you how much a part of the fabric of my life this daily 20 minutes this. Of course I have her three books on my TBR. So glad you read it and shared it with us.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8432 comments I have really good memories of watching Carol Burnett with my dad-and I am sure if I watched them again, Amy, I would still laugh till it hurt. One of my favorite old shows

message 4: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 9374 comments On Me TV every evening 11PM, EST. Timeless!

Karin | 7477 comments I used to watch this when I was a kid, and want to listen to this audiobook now. Not that I needed another book on my tbr, but this sounds good.

message 6: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Amy wrote: "On Me TV every evening 11PM, EST. Timeless!"

Amy, are they the full shows, or just the sketches?

message 7: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 9374 comments They are half-hour shows. I think that used to be a full hour shows, because sometimes it’s the same introduction for different sketches.

message 8: by Barbara M (last edited Jul 14, 2018 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I watch some of them on MeTV too. I listened to Carol read This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection on audio and, like you Charlotte, just laughing out loud at so many of the antics. I often had to share some of these with others. This one was more than the story of the show though, it went into growing up, her grandmother, how she started her career, her marriage, etc. It was great to hear it in her own voice.

message 9: by Karin (last edited Jul 14, 2018 06:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7477 comments Amy wrote: "They are half-hour shows. I think that used to be a full hour shows, because sometimes it’s the same introduction for different sketches."

Yes, they were one hour shows back in the day when commercial breaks were shorter. Back then you could barely take a quick bathroom break, and now you can probably fit two bathroom breaks in one set of commercials it seems. They were variety shows--there was singing, etc, along with sketches, but they didn't comprise the entire show.

message 10: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Amy wrote: "They are half-hour shows. I think that used to be a full hour shows, because sometimes it’s the same introduction for different sketches."

I thought so. My husband was a musician and one of his teachers worked on the show, live orchestra. They couldn't come to an agreement with the union about residuals, or they couldn't afford it, so all we get now are the sketches. It's too bad.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments Jgrace wrote: " so all we get now are the sketches. It's too bad. ..."

I knew there was something missing! Yes, it is too bad.