Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Peril's Gate (Wars of Light and Shadow, #6)
This topic is about Peril's Gate
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Q&A with Janny Wurts!! (Peril's Gate BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1769 comments There you go :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Chris wrote: "There you go :)"

:)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny.

Welcome to our BR for Peril's Gate and thank you for remaining with us as we go on with the series. We truly appreciate it. :)

We now have even a Cover Art Thread as it was becoming a bit difficult to keep shifting the pictures from thread to thread. If you don't mind, could you please take a look and see if I found the right covers for our last book?

message 5: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny.

Welcome to our BR for Peril's Gate and thank you for remaining with us as we go on with the series. We truly appreciate it. :)

We now have even a Cover Art Thread as it w..."

You have the right covers....the landscape art for the first British edition was a wraparound, so you are missing the back side of that book - however, I used the 'back side' of that artwork for the 'background' art in the US composite icon cover - I will side note here that a whole lot of the symbolism in Peril's Gate's artwork will come into play in the latter part of the book - so if you ask questions I may have to hold off because: spoilers.

You've done a great job!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you Janny. :)

A few questions regarding the cover art of previous books so I can remove the question marks. Could you please confirm if:

The background for Ships of Merior is Innish (with Arithon in a boat)?

On the Grand Cospiracy cover in between the lions, are there snakes?

And could you please help us with a hint for the background of Exile's Return? That is Arithon going to save Fionn Areth right? But where exactly is he in the painting?

There are Paravian runes on those boulders so I'm guessing the circle where he created the portal? Am I looking in the right direction?

The other cover represents Jieret's vision from Chapter 12? The entrance to Davien's sanctuary? Inside, in the dark, a ghost like appearance is seen. Is that Davien?
Did we get that right or do we have to keep looking?

message 7: by Janny (last edited Jul 16, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you Janny. :)

A few questions regarding the cover art of previous books so I can remove the question marks. Could you please confirm if:

The background for Ships of Merior is Innish (with A..."

The background cover for the US paperback is, yes, Arithon in Talliarthe at Innish. It is titled On Bequest of the Masterbard, so that cues you what scene he'd be tuning that lyranthe for.

Grand Conspiracy: the "icon' that frames the center circle is the cartouche for the Mayor of Jaelot: so yes, interlocking snakes and lions - (a black one and a gold one, each) this seal is described in the text.

(There is another snake/very different one, in another image that you have missed).

Exile's Return has nothing whatsoever to do with Fionn Areth...the backbround is part of the outer wall (in ruin) at Ithamon. Arithon is standing on an ancient stone wall that is in ruin, with Paravian designs on it. This picture was made as a 'portrait' image of the character when, actually, I was not sure the publisher was going to hire me to do the cover images - I wanted a 'reference' for what the character looked like. This wall is not a focus circle; the place where he created that portal TO Jaelot would be found (if it is posted) in the Paravia Sketch book in black and white pencil (it may also be found in the interactive map, IF it is included - that exhibition piece is so far behind, I'm not sure). The title of the image you are looking for is: "Ruin and Paravian Circle at San Pashir, Shand"

The other cover, yes, is Jieret's vision from Chapter 12. There is a LOT in that image. The ghost is not Davien; if you had a better reproduction she is female.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you for the answers Janny. I had totally missed the symbol of the mayor of Jaelot and got utterly confused with Exile's return.
I wonder now how many things I would have missed even while reading so carefully.

Regarding the cover with Jieret's vision, I have that hardcover and being so big, I just took a closer look at it and the ghost does look female. But she seems to have even a pair of horns. Either that or a crazy hair-do/helm. Would that be right? Because her image is not very clear.

And will we meet the ghost in one of the next books?

message 9: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you for the answers Janny. I had totally missed the symbol of the mayor of Jaelot and got utterly confused with Exile's return.
I wonder now how many things I would have missed even while re..."

No horns; she's a spirit in that image (maybe not dead!!!) and that is her hair, drifting...spirit form.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you Janny. Got it now.
It is really a shame that the photo is not clear because it's so very beautiful!!

message 11: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you Janny. Got it now.
It is really a shame that the photo is not clear because it's so very beautiful!!"

There is more shame than that - in the original painting the spirit in the darkness is VERY clear - not glaring, but you can make out every detail of her. The PUBLISHER decided to dim that bit down for publication - I suppose to run type over it, or, they thought it was 'unimportant' - to make it worse, they ran that black area OVER the inside of the arch, totally destroying the perspective - making it look paper thin/with no thickness, when it is made of carved stone...how I HATE the days when art could be messed with in photoshop!!!! The original painting is ever so much clearer (and so should the print be, if it is listed in the Paravia catalog).

So not surprising, given how messed with the image is, that you could not see clearly in that regard.

message 12: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side Note: Peril's Gate is the 'tipping point' book - both for Arc III, and for the series entire. You don't know everything, yet, not by a long, long shot - but a LOT of ground work has been laid, and the reveals are going to start coming - bigger and bigger. And: the tension is not going to 'let down' - expect the books will accelerate in pace, big time, after this one. To the direct action in this volume, you are, at this stage, carrying nine layers; with more coming! Have fun...

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments No wonder in that case that everyone says this is their favourite book of the series! I already love it by the way.

If it's ok to ask Janny, I was wondering about the compact.
It is said at 1 time that: (view spoiler)

I know the compact was mentioned before but I cannot recall what it exactly entails. Would it be ok to ask you to tell us a bit more about it.

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "No wonder in that case that everyone says this is their favourite book of the series! I already love it by the way.

If it's ok to ask Janny, I was wondering about the compact.
It is said at 1 tim..."

Hi Laura,

There will be more detail coming, and a LOT more layers of insight, particularly as Arc III comes to its crescendo with Stormed Fortress - and Arc IV stages for the mysteries...so I here is what I can say here under spoiler tags that assume you've read to this volume.

(view spoiler)

At this stage (Peril's Gate) - you may want to look up the satellite three short stories that are up at www.paravia.com/catalog...and a fourth, The Decoy, lately published in Unfettered II. I'd hold off on Black Bargain for after you complete Stormed Fortress. And I've got The Gallant (a novella) coming, that covers Verrain's story. It would be OK to read at this stage, and should be available by August this year. (Details on that release forthcoming).

message 15: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side Note (particularly for Daniel, who's way into this book, I am posting this now, because the pace is not going to relent/you'd be at tipping point for this book, tipping point for ARC III, and tipping point for the series, proper - all volumes' pace will accelerate) - watch out when you get to ch set XV! There is a LOT of new info packed into this sequence; rush as some readers have, (thinking they know by now) and you will miss ALL the subtle reveals, that are (consequence) 0f monumental significance (view spoiler)

message 16: by Janny (last edited Jul 23, 2018 05:02PM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side note, not a cop out people, let's lay this out so you don't have to 'search' because you will find all of this in a second read, anyhow...note: I am not marking spoilers for PRIOR VOLUMES because if you are in here, it assumes you've read them in sequence. If you have not - proceed at spoilery peril.

Elaira was approached by Fellowship Sorcerers three time. All of them, they gently ask her questions/do what they can to remind her of her RIGHT to autonomy. First scene was Traithe in Curse of the Mistwraith...in that little visit on the shore at Narms. If you give that one another look, knowing what he's probing for (among other things) this layer of subtlety will be evident.

Second, was Luhaine in Ships of Merior when he realigned the longevity she was receiving from the Koriathian - he CHANGED THIS - granted her the same but along Major Balance precepts - but the Koriathain DID NOT KNOW this happened. Her crystal contains the 'original' record of her (very discomfortable) longevity process via Koriathain - but that working was supplanted by Luhaine's intercession (and his reasons for this are stated.) So - in that scene in Highscarp in Peril's Gate (view spoiler)

Next: Elaira's loyalty is oathsworn to her ORDER, so whatever she does, she's beholden to that....Kharadmon tried to get her to see she had the power to ask for intercession in Fugitive Prince - and you can look that scene up for her response...it simply never occurs to her that she CAN and for Arithon's sake, she has reasons not to think that direction.

So yes, if she personally intervenes using the ORDER's knowledge in Arithon's behalf, he'd be nailed by an oath of dept.

She is NOT free, in any way - however if you read into the scenes involving Ath's Adepts, Peril's Gate's scene included (view spoiler)

The 'reason' given later that Elaira does not dare ask the Fellowship for intercession WHEN she figures out she can, is that (view spoiler)

You need not niggle and worry these points to death - they will resurface again, from other angles of view, as the story unfolds.

The reason Elaira wanted to clear the crystals given her by the Koriathain is because THEN they'd have a harder time tracking her use of them.....she took a great risk to preserve her privacy from their prying - and for reasons as above, the Adepts moved at Sethvir's request. Also, regarding her personal crystal (view spoiler)

Hope this clarifies the issue a little bit.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you so much for the explanations Janny. This way pieces are starting to fall nicely into place.
And I have just realised that no matter how slow and careful I read this, I still miss little details and get stuff confused and in the end, when explanations come and practically hit me on the head, I suddenly realise how wrong I really was.
And this is one of the best things I love about your series.
It makes me think and makes me reconsider judging. It makes me realise that black is not necessarily pitch dark but has some gray and white mixed into it.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments It's so weird, I remember the details, but I am so enthralled by the overall story, I barely stop to ponder them... This is why I always reread series like this one - once the adrenaline of worries and panik about what will happen goes away, I can actually savor the subtleties 😀

message 19: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you so much for the explanations Janny. This way pieces are starting to fall nicely into place.
And I have just realised that no matter how slow and careful I read this, I still miss little ..."

Sometimes as you just read on, the 'confusion' clears up because the details that are just hints at first get redefined either from another angle, or deeper. These books don't do much by way of infodumps, you learn as the characters experience or get the reveals as they grow....for a person who 'has to know everything' with perfect clarity at every stage, this can get frustrating - but the books will unfold it all/and just like life, things are opaque to us until we grow in wisdom and experience...and re-reads, they will always take it to another level because you will see from where you left off/and catch deeper and deeper meanings. This series was designed to do this - it changes as you change, and it shifts also with greater life experience. So you never truly 'see' it from the same angle twice - it is an evolving experience.

So try not to be too hard on yourself, going with the flow and not quite knowing is quite OK. :) And I never mind at all answering questions if you want the extra clarification.

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Choko wrote: "It's so weird, I remember the details, but I am so enthralled by the overall story, I barely stop to ponder them... This is why I always reread series like this one - once the adrenaline of worries..."

That's the major authorial problem.....mixing the detail into the action and suspense, readers can ride right past it. Put too much in, or slow the experience DOWN (which often I have done) to fit it in and you get the skimmers ripping over it, or the complaint 'nothing happens.' Stuff ALWAYS happens/just sometimes readership who are not familiar with this series are not quite prepared to look deeply enough. The reflex to say 'this is just a description, let's skim past' - some books you can get away with it; not this one. And that is one of the big challenges to the writing of these books - I know where I am leading this/there are levels being laid down NOW in the 'thick' some of the most tense action scenes that will flower at the end of this ARC, or more: will come into play fully in ARC IV, and you are getting the 'foundation' of those concepts now, so that when the action runs hard over them, later, there is NO time spent to 'explain.' Peril's Gate is in many ways a very slow mo chase scene...but what you are gaining along the way regarding the depths beneath how some stuff works....will pay off in spades as you go further.

That can take some readers by surprise - because after this 'tipping point' volume, the pace will speed up a LOT - because so much of the foundation is laid in, I don't have to pause for it...this doesn't mean the reveals will get less, or more depths won't be added in - they will!!! - but a lot of the 'heavy lifting' to reach this stage of comprehension is done by the close of Peril's Gate, and all you experience after will ride on that six book foundation.

Have fun!! The re-reads will just continue to enrich what you already know. There really isn't much slack space, and there was a lot more between the lines of the earlier volumes (seen from the advance perspective) that you had NO idea - but will all come to the fore in full glory when you see with the vantage you have now.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments You know, we are on the sixth book now and soon we will have finished the publeshed ones... The horror! What will we do then??? 😇😈

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Choko wrote: "You know, we are on the sixth book now and soon we will have finished the publeshed ones... The horror! What will we do then??? 😇😈"

You have the last, coming; and you also have a pretty substantial novella about to be published (Verrain's story) and five short stories that all open up angles of depth into the series proper.

And if that is not enough, all the other novels (nine) and some thirty unrelated short stories. When you hit that, ask for my favorites list/to hold you as I write as fast as I can. :)

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments You are such a good sport! Thank you! I am truly addicted to the series right now 😀

message 24: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Choko wrote: "You are such a good sport! Thank you! I am truly addicted to the series right now 😀"

Thank you. There is no greater incentive than hearing that!! So very pleased to have you aboard.

message 25: by Daniel (last edited Jul 25, 2018 11:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments Good Day Janny,
You are quite correct in saying I hit the tipping point. I did indeed read Peril’s Gate verrrrrrry slowly, especially starting with chapter set XV. I have opined, albeit briefly, that Arithon has great power. Laura and I discussed a tiny bit the foreshadowing of said power. (view spoiler)

message 26: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Good Day Janny,
You are quite correct in saying I hit the tipping point. I did indeed read Peril’s Gate verrrrrrry slowly, especially starting with chapter set VX. I have opined, albeit slowly, tha..."

Great! Ch set XV forward (view spoiler) But yeah, the suspense is so high, it's easy to blast past all that.

The scene you and Laura are discussing - if you look at the movement of what happens, LINE BY LINE, the sequence is quite clear. Great discussion! All on the page, you can work it out.

Pleasure to see you enjoying the nuances!!

Daniel | 1536 comments I have learned the hard way to never speedread. Regardless of tension or excitement level, a slow measured reading pace gleans the most nuggets from the golden information stream.

message 28: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "I have learned the hard way to never speedread. Regardless of tension or excitement level, a slow measured reading pace gleans the most nuggets from the golden information stream."

Rare to find one like you in this time of 'hurry up and deliver it all now' - perfect reader for this series - (those in the discussion here) - my hat's off to you all.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments Janny wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I have learned the hard way to never speedread. Regardless of tension or excitement level, a slow measured reading pace gleans the most nuggets from the golden information stream."

..."

I'm only picking this series up when I have time to sit down and really devout my time to it. There's plenty of books out there for when I'm stressed, distracted, busy, or on a bus...this one is definitely for when I'm at home and have got my cup of coffee and time!

By now one of my favourite fantasy series :)

message 30: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Olivia wrote: "Janny wrote: "Daniel wrote: "I have learned the hard way to never speedread. Regardless of tension or excitement level, a slow measured reading pace gleans the most nuggets from the golden informat..."

Thank you! Totally with you - many times I just want a read on a plane or to unwind and not think. So I love a book that delivers it quick without the need to think or concentrate.

IF ONLY I had a way to tell in advance which sort of book is which....! A clear way to align a book with reader expectations would result in my own discovery of a lot more books, chosen and read, with a lot more precision to match expectation and mood. I do love a book that reverses expectations or slams the envelope wide open - they are often hard to find!!! - and other times, I don't want to be challenged, I want a book that just takes me away with no effort/doesn't break the box or shake up the comfort zone.

This series is a bit of a different animal in that regard: matching it to reader expectations for the right moment is huge. Always open to insights on how to do that.

Appreciate the feedback so very much! And glad to hear you are enjoying the series - that all the care and work put into it are there for your discovery and fun.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments I am discovering this love and respect for the Order of Ath.. I love their stubborn acceptance, maybe because I would love to be that way, but am not even close... They are magical thoug, and I love all the symbolism surrounding them!

Daniel | 1536 comments @ Choko...you get a much bigger taste of the Order soon. I agree they are awesome!

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments I can't wait! 😀

message 34: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Warning to the readers who've finished this: the books' pace is gonna pick up from here. Foundation's laid deep enough (it will get deeper still) but the action will stand on it and move quicker.

You could probably start to see the symbolism in the covers, now.

Also side note: Tyche Books has released a .99 cent box set with six authors - in that set, is The Gallant, a pretty substantial novella which opens up Verrain's back story. If you are curious to know what things were like six hundred years ago....it connects a lot of the dots. It's a totally stand alone story for folks who've not read the series....for folks who have, you'll see some stuff 'as it was, then' and there are significant little reveals. If you recall Verrain's description in the Convocation chapter in Ships....the seed starts there. with a touch for the romantic. For that wee dollar, too, you get to sample five other authors' works...just sayin' it's a bargain!

Olivia (vinjii) | 1085 comments I've seen the box set mentioned on r/fantasy over on Reddit, and hope to pick it up soon! Thank you :)

message 36: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Olivia wrote: "I've seen the box set mentioned on r/fantasy over on Reddit, and hope to pick it up soon! Thank you :)"

Cool! The title of the box set is Secrets and Spells.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny :)

We were having a discussion about the raven/Raven in this book. At one time we have the raven (Traithe's I suppose) and at another we have Raven (who is a she and also called 'brother' by the Fellowship).
Then in another place we have 'The raven that was prophecy'.

Would you mind telling us a bit more about the ravens? Is it only one or there are more?
The 'she raven' seems to be a very powerful creature. Like magic in herself. Able to transcend both time and space. Traithe's raven on the other hand didn't seem to be so much 'more'. Are these different ravens? Or is it the same one?

message 38: by Janny (last edited Aug 16, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny :)

We were having a discussion about the raven/Raven in this book. At one time we have the raven (Traithe's I suppose) and at another we have Raven (who is a she and also called 'brother'..."

Ha!! There is a reason to the precision, every time...

The Raven (female) and the raven (male, referred to as 'little brother' by the Seven) are connected but:

spoilers are not really, but I will tag this anyhow - (view spoiler)

That ought to give you a little to chew on....

ADDED NOTE: as you approach Traitor's Knot - you are going to see a HUGE acceleration of pace, so get ready for it...if you want to start the Q and A thread for that volume, I can add more info.

If you are one of those champing at the bit to hit the deferred start date, you can look at the three short stories up on the Paravia site in the catalog, and The Gallant just out in Secrets and Spells (a box set on sale) - they 'fill in' a lot of history that will flesh out what you already know, and the time's ripe for that/or any time. The Decoy additionally is out in Unfettered II, and hits the same period; I'd only hold back on Black Bargain until after Stormed Fortress's completion for maximum impact, as it answers quite a lot that starts to unveil in Stormed Fortress, but at a much MUCH deeper level.

message 39: by Nonoriri2 (new)

Nonoriri2 | 4 comments Hey Janny, going through the books now and I have a small question about the timeline of events if it's fine. I noticed that in Peril's Gate, based on the order of events that happens, the Spring Equinox separates Late Winter from Early Spring (Chapter sets XI-XII) yet the calendar on the Paravia wiki lists the Equinox as occurring directly in the middle of Spring, equidistant from both Early Spring and Late Spring, as is the case we saw the Winter Equinox at both the beginning of Peril's Gate and the end of Grand Conspiracy falling in the middle of Winter. And by the time Early Spring turns to Spring at the end of Arithon's journey through Davien's Maze the Spring Equinox is long past. Is this a small timeline inconsistency, an error on the wiki, or am I just overthinking things?

message 40: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Paravian calendar has its ideosyncrasies, given its measure is by days from new moon to full.

Spring Equinox would 'fall' at the midpoint of spring. Late Spring starting (roughly) two 'weeks' later.

See if that doesn't 'correct' your perception of the timeline; if it doesn't, I can pull the book and lay it up against the timeline spreadsheet/cross referenced to chapter set actions - and look deeper. Not ruling out an error; not a bit. I try to check this stuff very very carefully, and I have great Beta readers who also are hawks - some stuff slips through the cracks.

At surface glance at the spread/timeline - Spring Equinox would be past/Arithon' s finish of journey could still be ongoing - timeline of the maze - would be a function of the maze. What WAS the experience - a vison? A living dream? - it could have spanned days - or months - suspended animation and illusion. Davien's works are pretty tricksy constructs.

message 41: by Nonoriri2 (new)

Nonoriri2 | 4 comments Janny wrote: "Paravian calendar has its ideosyncrasies, given its measure is by days from new moon to full.

Spring Equinox would 'fall' at the midpoint of spring. Late Spring starting (roughly) two 'weeks' late..."

I just checked through my copy again. If the Equinox really does fall in the middle of Spring, then the dates at the beginning of the chapters are indeed all wrong, at least in my copy of the book. XI. Nightfall is marked as Late Winter, 5670 with XI. Visitations triplet moving to Spring Equinox Eve 5670. XII. Lane Flux moves onto the Spring Equinox proper, with the next heading being Predawn, Dawn, and Afternoon, respectively. In XIII. Divide it has moved from the Spring Equinox Afternoon to Early Spring 5670. At this point Arithon hasn't reached Kewar Tunnel yet, let alone begun Davien's Maze.

For reference, I have the most recent MMPB from Harper Collins UK, with the new style of cover art depicted on Stormed Fortress onwards.

message 42: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Nonoriri2 wrote: "Janny wrote: "Paravian calendar has its ideosyncrasies, given its measure is by days from new moon to full.

Spring Equinox would 'fall' at the midpoint of spring. Late Spring starting (roughly) tw..."

I will give it a deep dive look. Thanks.

message 43: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Nonoriri2 wrote: "Janny wrote: "Paravian calendar has its ideosyncrasies, given its measure is by days from new moon to full.

Spring Equinox would 'fall' at the midpoint of spring. Late Spring starting (roughly) tw..."

Deep dive complete. It's an error, and a whopper, so thank you, it will go on the list of corrections.

And it's a right bitch of an oddity, too....because my giant spread sheet (mapping the ENTIRE volume by faction, timeline, and action, broken down by chapters) - that document that I use as my 'bible' for tagging stuff backwards/crosschecking for date and volume - it lists the timing CORRECTLY. But the 'summary' list of actions under their chapter titles (a column, by volume, that I use to 'find' a back scene when I need to re-reference and event in the writing) That sucker is WRONG. WTF!!!???

So yeah, meticulous author brain missed a beat. You are a hero...this gaffe even slipped by Brian, who did the Wicki, and he found most of the danged thorns in my side.

So the book - anyway - the USA edition, hardback, that I referenced for the deep dive - is WRONGO - the date should read either Spring or Late Spring for all the chapters falling post Spring Equinox.

AAARGH!

Caught being human again, and you get a medal for oversight.

Thank you. (and thank gosh, this doesn't happen often; Peril's Gate was completed amid a major period of publisher turmoil - merger, staff fired, editor who had a clue was out on maternity leave, then she left...) Not the only error in this volume, but nothing before this one of this particular magnitude. Owe you a beer or a coffee!

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments I would have never noticed it, but Nonoriri must have much better concentration...

message 45: by Nonoriri2 (new)

Nonoriri2 | 4 comments Janny wrote: "Nonoriri2 wrote: "Janny wrote: "Paravian calendar has its ideosyncrasies, given its measure is by days from new moon to full.

Spring Equinox would 'fall' at the midpoint of spring. Late Spring sta..."

I'm glad I was able to help! I'll be honest, I felt like a bit of an ass bringing it up at first because I felt like I was asking you if you were wrong about your own work! But I'm glad I was able to help catch it., hard to believe that such a big thing slipped past everyone for so long!

I don't drink alcohol or caffeine, so I'll have to politely decline either beverage (I'm the kind of stick in the mud who drinks water at social gatherings - not that there's too many of those going on nowadays) but if you could perhaps let me know what subchapters would first have the following dates listed: Late Winter, Early Spring, Spring, and Late Spring - so that I can make the corrections in my own copy of the book, then that would be positively delightful Janny.

Stay safe in these rough times, alright?

message 46: by Nonoriri2 (new)

Nonoriri2 | 4 comments Choko wrote: "I would have never noticed it, but Nonoriri must have much better concentration..."

Honestly I wouldn't have even noticed it if I didn't stumble across the calendar on the Paravia wiki. When I saw the equinoxes fell in the middle of the seasons as well it made me go "wait a minute..." and I went back to check and sure enough.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments Nonoriri, no, I am very glad for meticulous readers like you! Thank you!!!

Also, thank you for letting me know there is a Wiki for this series! I am a huge fan, so this will be fun ʘ‿ʘ

message 48: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Choko wrote: "Nonoriri, no, I am very glad for meticulous readers like you! Thank you!!!

Also, thank you for letting me know there is a Wiki for this series! I am a huge fan, so this will be fun ʘ‿ʘ"

Yes, there is a wiki for this series - Brian broke it down by volume. BE CAREFUL OF SPOILERS.

Choko (chokog) | 7710 comments Thanks, guys ʘ‿ʘ

message 50: by Laura (last edited May 05, 2020 08:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny,

Hope you are well in these troubled times.
In our place things have been tough recently and we're expecting it to become even more bad in the next few weeks. But for now, by God's grace, we are all healthy. Well, as healthy as can be considering my son's condition.

It's nice to see this thread up and running again.
And I'd like to add another question from the BR thread. Related to chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Thank you. :)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Peril's Gate (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Janny Wurts (other topics)