Circe
This topic is about Circe
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Miller - Circe [Sept 24, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
Circe

Gemma ✨  a bookish blether (abookishblether) | 7 comments I'd love to join this!

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

Gemma wrote: "I'd love to join this!"

Welcome.

message 4: by Lena (new)

Lena In! I have a beautiful signed copy from Goldsboro that must be read!

message 5: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I read this a few weeks ago and thought it was amazing! I hope you guys will like it as well :)

Alana | 20 comments Joining this one! Just started yesterday so I have a bit of ahead start - I tend to read slowly because my home like is chaos.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

My copy came due at the library so I'll be starting tonight.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Really looking forward to getting stuck into this. I love anything to do with Greek mythology so I'm hoping this is a winner for me.

I've only read 17 pages so far but I'm really enjoying it. Initial thoughts (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 53 pages in now. I have a feeling this is going to turn tragic very soon. (view spoiler)

Alana | 20 comments I'm just over halfway through and...I don't know. All the tragedy, all the over-the-top, mostly inhuman behaviour and characterization is starting to get to me.
I understand the story is based on Greek mythology, but I'm finding I have no one to relate to. I sympathize with Circe, but I anticipate she's about to make some bad choices and it is making me just want to stop reading.
Hopefully I can crack on, but I am not feeling motivated to continue right now.

message 11: by Charlie (last edited Sep 26, 2018 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Alana wrote: "I'm just over halfway through and...I don't know. All the tragedy, all the over-the-top, mostly inhuman behaviour and characterization is starting to get to me.
I understand the story is based on ..."

I get what you mean about their behaviour, all the characters are pretty awful so far but I guess that fits in with the mythos of the world. The Greek pantheon were said to be selfish and manipulative with no regard for human life, so I don't think we're supposed to like them necessarily. I'm fine with morally grey characters, they make a book interesting but this lot are pretty much universally wicked and unlikable. I do like Circe though, so far she's the most human of the bunch merely do to the fact that she's actually introspective and seems to care about other people. I'm excited to see how her character develops.

I'm 67 pages in now (view spoiler)

message 12: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 2 stars

This is my second Miller book. The first being about Achilles. I cannot see myself doing another. I find them pretty boring. She has an arrogance about the gods I just don't fee.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Scott wrote: "This is my second Miller book. The first being about Achilles. I cannot see myself doing another. I find them pretty boring. She has an arrogance about the gods I just don't fee."

I actually really wanted to read that one. I'll wait and see how I feel about this book before I commit to another by her I think.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 86 pages in and Circe has (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments 122 pages in! Crazy stuff! (view spoiler)

Alana | 20 comments Well, I kept going...so that's good:).

I have about 100 pages left. Trying to save any more analyzing about the novel until I finish.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Alana wrote: "Well, I kept going...so that's good:).

I have about 100 pages left. Trying to save any more analyzing about the novel until I finish."

I hope it's gotten better for you!

I'm 192 pages in now so about halfway through. I'd say over the last 50 pages or so Circe has definitely took a darker turn. She's lost that innocent joy and it's such a shame. The (view spoiler)

Alana | 20 comments Agreed about Circe's change of character Charlie. It makes sense, but was sad all the same.

I finished the novel on the weekend. I really enjoyed the last 50 pages or so and it definitely changed my mind about the novel as a whole toward the positive. I loved Circe's development as a character, although I wish it hadn't taken until the very end of the book to finally meet some other characters I could relate to.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts when you finish Charlie!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Alana wrote: "Agreed about Circe's change of character Charlie. It makes sense, but was sad all the same.

I finished the novel on the weekend. I really enjoyed the last 50 pages or so and it definitely changed ..."

I'm really looking forward to finishing this. I've really enjoyed it so far and it's just made me want to read more books based on Greek mythology or those that have deities as characters. I'm really glad you enjoyed it in the end, I didn't want to be the only one!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Up to page 236 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Page 312 (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Finished! I think the ending was brilliant. It was everything I could have hoped for and more really. I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Even though it wasn't exactly happy, it was gripping.