Play Book Tag discussion

July 2018: Dystopian > Gathering Blue - Lois Lowry - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teodora (new)

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments I know that this book had received a lower rating compared to The Giver, and that people usually perceived it as not as good as the first book of the series, but to me it seemed even better. I liked it even more, and since I gave five stars to The Giver, it means I liked it more than a lot.

The vision of the world depicted in this book seemed more realistic, something that I would rather see in the future than the world depicted in the first book of the series. I know that in Lois Lowry's vision both worlds exist in the same time, but this vision seemed so realistic to me, from the way people threat each other to their relationship to their kids.

It also managed to carry me back to my memories of childhood, to the fairytales I used to read as a child, this book having something in common with them, even if it is not a fairytale. But, I don't know, there was something familiar, something marvelous about it. The writing had some kind of magic, something special. And it seemed like that kind of story that could be enjoyed by everyone, from middle grade kids to old grandparents.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I liked this one a lot too.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. I have not read either book. I am fascinated of how this takes you back to childhood and fairytales. "Something familiar, something marvelous" is what stands out to me as I read your review. I love that this book did this for you. You know you love a book when this is the description.

message 4: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Really great review. I'm hoping to start this in a few days. I really liked The Giver and even though this has gotten a lower rating overall I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy it. Glad you did.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I'm hoping to get to this one this month. My daughter left her copy on my house. Once I read it, I will donate it. One more off the shelves.

message 6: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments I'm one of those who rated it lower than The Giver, though I don't remember hating it at all. I read it so long ago I'm hazy on what I did dislike about it. Honestly, I think I would have been much happier with it if it just hadn't been connected to The Giver. There isn't really much to connect them except that it's a different take on the same subject and some of the characters get a nod. I also read it after years of having been satisfied with the open-ended way The Giver concluded, so the fact that there was a sequel at all bothered me. I do think I remember liking it as its own story.

As far as the rest of the series, I liked Messenger even less than Gathering Blue, though don't let that stop you from reading it, since it is a direct sequel. But for heaven's sake, if you check out Son, don't read past the first part. Just do yourself a favor and close the book when you get to part two. I don't normally tell people not to read books, I think everyone should decide for themselves if a book is not for them, but the lazy way that book was written actually made me angry, especially when Lowry has won multiple Newbery's. It's the only book I have ever rated one star. By all means, read part one, since it's another look at Jonas' Community, but everything after that is a baffling mess. In fact, I'm pretty sure my sour look on the series after The Giver is due in large part to Son.

I didn't mean to hijack the discussion with such negativity, so I'll just add that your positive reaction to Gathering Blue has made me want to revisit it and give it a fair shake. I had forgotten about the fairy tale elements, which I agree with you were there, and that reminded me of all I did like about the book.

message 7: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7481 comments This is the one I rated the highest of the three of these books I have read, but I'm not a big fan of this series. I gave this one 3 stars and the other two only 2 stars. I no longer remember all of the reasons why.