Play Book Tag discussion

Iron and Magic (World of Kate Daniels, #11; The Iron Covenant, #1)
This topic is about Iron and Magic
July 2018: Dystopian > Iron and Magic by Ilona Andrews - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5159 comments While I myself would classify this as only as urban fantasy, six people have tagged it dystopian, and six more dystopia, so I will take advantage of that and post it here for the tag of the month. It's not wrong, as the world is set in a future that has tech and magic alternating in waves, causing the collapse of society as it was previously known, so I can see why they would tag it as such.

This prolific writing team has created a new series set in Kate Daniels' world of tech and magic, focusing on a secondary character and weaving a story around him. Hugh d'Ambray, Preceptor of the Iron Dogs, was once the mighty wizard Roland's second in command. Cast aside by his former master, Hugh's life has hit bottom, and his own faithful soldiers have managed to persuade him to take a shot at leading them again, because they are being hunted by Roland and if he doesn't get his act together, none of them will survive.

Needing a home and steady employment for his last remaining cohort of 300-odd soldiers, Hugh makes an alliance of marriage with Elara Harper, who has the home and supplies his people need, and who in turn needs soldiers for protection. But Elara has a secret power, one that might devour them all if she can't control it.

Ilona and Gordon Andrews can't seem to do any wrong, because they have produced another cracking good story that fans will enjoy. They have turned a despised character into a sympathetic one, and done so convincingly with their trademark wit and humor. The introduction of a new character and power in Elara is quite intriguing, and I will be impatiently waiting for book 2 to explain more about her. Everything in this world is outrageous, but it's so much fun and the characters always entertaining and endearing despite (or because of) their flaws. I hope they continue to keep going strong.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! Dystopian or for that matter Urban fantasy is definitely not genres I have delved too deeply into but I do love the reviews. Endearing characters always keep me coming back for more regardless of the genre.

annapi | 5159 comments You should give this author a try. It took a few books for me to really get into the Kate Daniels series, but really everything they have written has been very good, and their strength is in their characters. On their website http://www.ilona-andrews.com/ they have several free serial books, the Innkeeper series ( http://innkeeper.ilona-andrews.com/ ), which came out of the Edge series and which is very entertaining.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2668 comments Ooh, another lovely new pair of writers to put on the TBR!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

annapi wrote: "You should give this author a try. It took a few books for me to really get into the Kate Daniels series, but really everything they have written has been very good, and their strength is in their ..."

Thank you for the links. I will look into this. Characters are the foundation for me.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1153 comments Great review annapi! You summed it up perfectly.

I have read everything by this writing team and loved every series. I think their conversion of Hugh from bad guy to 'hero' (still many rough spots) is superb. That takes real talent.

The constant one-upsmanship between Hugh and Elara is hilarious. Can't wait to see how these characters develop and to learn more about their individual backgrounds.