You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > August 2018 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Jul 17, 2018 05:37AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15577 comments The winner in the poll was 'Books set in Mediterranean countries'. List with countries is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...

It's time to nominate books. Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme. Please also state how the book fits if it isn't obvious.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- In case of series, only the first book in a series is allowed, even if later books could be considered as stand-alones.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close July 17

The Fencing Master (Cherie)
The Gabriel Hounds (Lanelle - Casceil)
My Family and Other Animals (Renee)
Call Me By Your Name (Saar)
The Coming (Rusalka)
Beautiful Ruins (Silver - Sandra)
In Arabian Nights: A Caravan of Moroccan Dreams (Lilisa)
The Sandcastle Girls (Clément)
Playing with Fire (Kristie)

message 2: by Cherie (last edited Jul 13, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I have several books on my TBR, but most of them are doorstoppers (450-550) pages including the book on my ZZ challenge for Turkey. I tried to search by country names from Peggy's list but Listopia goes to their "one book from each country" list, that DOES NOT specify which country and I gave up searching because I did not want to open every book to see the country setting. It just pisses me off when that list comes up!

For Spain - I want to nominate The Fencing Master.
It is 244 pages and I know that it is available on Kindle and I can get a paper copy from my library. It might be available on audio, because it won an audio award. I did not look any farther. I read several reviews and the story summary sounds interesting. It is listed as Historical Fiction.

message 3: by Lanelle (last edited Jul 14, 2018 04:26PM) (new)

Lanelle | 3394 comments I nominate The Gabriel Hounds by Mary Stewart. It is set in Lebanon.

message 4: by Renee (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:20PM) (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1650 comments I would like to nominate a book that has been on my Tbr list foreverMy Family and Other Animals It takes place on one of the Greek Islands

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will nominate The Watcher in the Shadows. It's set in France.

Saar The Book owl | 1920 comments I would like to nominate Call Me by Your Name
I haven't seen the movie. The story is set on the Italian Riviera.

message 7: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 17851 comments I need to read a book from Montenegro this year, so I am nominating The Coming.

It's on Book Depository (sent from the UK) for Aus$13.97, so I hope it is cheap and accessible in other places. If not, no worries, just let me know.

message 8: by Silver (new)

Silver | 494 comments I nominate Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter It is set in Italy

message 9: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9798 comments I second BEAUTIFUL RUINS.

message 10: by Lanelle (new)

Lanelle | 3394 comments Renee wrote: "I would like to nominate a book that has been on my Tbr list foreverMy Family and Other Animals It takes place on one of the Greek Islands"

I've read My Family and Other Animals, Renee. It's a funny and entertaining story!

message 12: by Casceil (last edited Jul 15, 2018 09:47PM) (new)

Casceil | 2695 comments I second The Gabriel Hounds. It is a hard choice, though, because Beautiful Ruins is a wonderful book. I gave it five stars when I read it. But I am a Mary Stewart fan from way back, and it has been over 40 years since I read the Gabriel Hounds.

message 13: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments I'll nominate The Sandcastle Girls by Chris Bohjalian.

Setting: Syria, according to the book page and summary.

message 14: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15577 comments Lisa wrote: "I will nominate The Watcher in the Shadows. It's set in France."

This is the 3rd book in a series Lisa. Would you like to nominate something else?

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15204 comments This was a difficult theme for me. I've been gophering like mad and now have a decent list of books to choose from. I really had a hard time choosing one to nominate! Many of them are too long, but I still have plenty to choose from. I will nominate Playing with Fire. (I have to admit I even changed my nomination while writing this post! I just can't seem to decide. lol)

message 16: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9798 comments Lol, Kristie! :D

message 17: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments Kristie - I felt the same way. I had two other book titles picked out before I actually linked one of them. It sounded like a great theme, and I was shocked at how many books on my list fit, but were SO LONG. (I have Playing with Fire on my TBR list but never picked up on the setting. I love her writing!)

message 18: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15577 comments I also have many books that fit (which is why I nominated the theme ;-)) but then I realized I'm actually not around for half of August.. so I'll probably read a book that fits the theme while on holiday.

message 19: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51884 comments I read Playing With Fire not all that long ago and really enjoyed it. I think it would make a great discussion book.

I gophered as well, Kristie. I have several books that would fit the theme. For one reason or other, I decided not to recommend any. I may just sit back and see what happens with the voting.

message 20: by Saar The Book owl (last edited Jul 17, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Saar The Book owl | 1920 comments @Kristie: I haven't read that one from Gerritsen, but I read a couple of books and she writes really good. So far 'Body double' was the best that I've read.

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15204 comments Saar wrote: "@Kristie: I haven't read that one from Gerritsen, but I read a couple of books and she writes really good. So far 'Body double' was the best that I've read."

Glad you enjoy her writing, Saar. I've never read anything else by her, but I've considered checking out her Rizzoli & Isles series.

message 22: by Cherie (last edited Jul 17, 2018 03:02PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20695 comments I have read all of the Rizzoli & Isles except #12. I enjoyed them all, with maybe one exception. It is not the same as the TV series - just a warning. I loved the women in the TV series, but the characters in the book are different.

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15204 comments Cherie wrote: "I have read all of the Rizzoli & Isles except #12. I enjoyed them all, with maybe one exception. It is not the same as the TV series - just a warning. I loved the women in the TV series, but the ch..."

Thanks, Cherie. I don't watch much TV, so I haven't seen the show.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.