Addermire Institute (Semi-Advanced) discussion

Residences > | derek's apartment

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (last edited Jul 12, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

The Outsider (Whales or Whatever) (davekatislife) | 1501 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Sitting cross legged on a grey couch, surrounded by grey-man, Derek had a thing for the color grey, a bit of color wouldn't kill the man-Leila was surrounded by papers. All essays on mythical beasts and their history, Leila had told her students to study in on the history of whatever mythical or fantastical animal that they chose. Some of her more creative students dug for more details and discovered their were insects and amphibians that were classified as mythical beasts as well.

And now, here Leila was, grading all these five to ten page essays. From every class, and Leila's class may be rarely signed up for-but there were still a good amount of students.

Of course, the brunette had been bored to tears and had made the decision to drop by her boyfriend's-Derek's-apartment. So now she was sitting on his couch, marking on piles of essays with a blue and red fountain pen.

message 3: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

There was something special about cooking for another person, he found. Usually when he cooked, Derek would get in the zone. He'd be in a trance, cutting at vegetables and grilling up chicken and whatnot. He'd just think, deeply, for long periods of time until he finished up. But cooking for another person was an experience. He'd put on smooth jazz, it was mostly instrumental, but occasionally there'd be a French singer and he'd quietly hum to it - so as to not disturb Leila as she graded her papers. She was always so damn diligent with that work, he could never dedicate himself so much.

He'd finally gotten a case of lungfish, which he'd never cooked before, but he figured he'd give it a try for her at least, roasting asparagus and other vegetables with an angel hair pasta. He hummed again to himself, staring down at the food as it sizzled, the bulbs from above lighting the room in an evening glow as the sun went down below the horizon.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

The air smelled of warmth and comfort and food, all three were wonderful things. And it put Leila at ease as she left neat markings on the page in her hand. A wonderful little essay about gryphons, short but informative. Maybe I should've put a limit on pages... And word count... The teacher thought to herself as she picked up a particularly large essay. Honestly, she was fairly certain these kids tried harder than she had their age, yikes!

"By gods, Derek, you won't believe how long some of these dissertations are-honestly, I asked them to write essays. Not books," but, despite Leila's complaining, she was still proud of the students that put a bit more effort into their work than the typical student. It brought pride and excitement for Leila, thinking about how she was raising and teaching these future caregivers for the animals and the beasts of the world. These knowledgeable students would become knowledgeable caretakers and that made Leila happy, happy to know that, as long as she taught, there would always be another person to care for the animals that were being hunted by simple-minded mundanes and other fools. Honestly, who would ever try to hunt down an ancient species like unicorns? Well, you'd be surprised.

message 5: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek glanced over and set the stove to low, letting the food simmer. It only had a little more time left so he wasn't worried about it burning. He approached from behind, leaning down and gently kissing the back of her neck as he peered down at the papers, "Are they good?" he hummed against her skin, hands settled on the back of the couch.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Placing a hand to her chest, Leila rolled her eyes, "If I'm their teacher-they are. And I am their teacher," the woman said with exaggerated, faux arrogance in her voice. Voice returning back to its usual sweet tone, Leila went on-with a lot of excitement, as well, "So, yeah, they're really good. Some of them need some improvement in spelling and grammar, but the animals they choose are good ones to study-and they go into so much detail. If I'm being honest, I feel like a proud mother duck whose ducklings are learning to fly."

message 7: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek turned his attention to the side of her neck, grazing his lips over it and chuckling, hot breath trickling over the expanse, "you're really sentimental about this" he teased, grinning faintly. He seemed a lot more gentle and touchy in private. In public he was a little more distant, he didn't like expressing a lot where other people could see. He didn't think they deserved to see him like that. That was reserved for her.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Face flaming, Leila shrugged, "Yeah, so??" She responded, setting her red pen down to twist her head around and meet Derek's gaze. By now, Leila had come to understand quite a bit about the man. He was shy out in public, and avoided physical intimacy when others could see them. But once they were alone, Leila was pleasantly surprised to find that the dire wolf relaxed quite a bit. "You're distracting me from important work," she murmured quietly in a sing-song tone of voice, gaze affectionate as she gave Derek a slight smile.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

((ugh, I become repetitive in my writing when it gets to be.... 1-3 in the morning. Sorry :P [I'm using the phrase "quite a bit" too much, bleh))

message 10: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek rolled his eyes, "You're distracting in general" he murmured, kissing her cheek before turning back to the kitchen, taking a few plates out of the cabinet. He'd been making her food for a long while. He hadn't lied about that whole arrangement - he prepped his meals every night alongside hers, he'd bring them to her in the morning, sometimes during lunch if he'd forgotten to give her the lunch with the breakfast. Sometimes they'd even have lunch together but being a teacher was busy stuff.

<< you good homeslice >>

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

A wide grin spread over Leila's face as Derek walked back over to the kitchen, "Honestly, you are one of the biggest and sweetest flirts I've ever met," she called after him, returning to her work with her lips fixed upwards in a cheerful "U".

message 12: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

"Tu es si mignonne" he muttered under his breath. He hadn't spoken in full French sentences to her yet. But he seemed comfortable enough to say certain things in his native language, phrases, words here and there. His accent didn't slip often, but it had a few times.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Perking up at the sound of a foreign language, Leila turned to face Derek. "I still don't understand... Is that French? Yeah, I don't understand anything other than English, Angel speak, or Latin," she pointed out-but she was fairly certain he knew that. She had told him, after all-unless Derek's memory failed him, the way her's did, at the most annoying times

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

((I'm gonna go to bed in, like, five minutes. You can post and I'll respond in the morning))

message 15: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek glanced at her, thinking for a moment but faintly smiling and nodding, "French, yeah" he replied simply, not elaborating on anything else. In a lot of ways, he was like a puzzle, never giving off too many answers, every word he spoke like a new piece on the board.

<< aight, sweet dreams >>

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Raising a brow, Leila waited for Derek to say more-he didn't. "Alright, so you're going to be mysterious about it," Leila commented, although she wasn't all that surprised. Sticking her tongue out, she spoke in a smooth language, "Bene ergo bysso."

message 17: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek grinned faintly at her and set the plates of food on the table, patting the seat, "Here" he called out, sitting down and waiting for her before he'd start eating.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Still holding the essay she'd been reading at the time, Leila seated herself at the table along with Derek. "Lungfish!" She said, pleased and grateful as she dug into the food hungrily. Sure, Leila had been eating better, but this morning all she'd had was a box of cereal-the small boxes from hotels-with no milk and downed it with OJ. So this meal was greatly appreciated.

message 19: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek smiled faintly though didn't reply, silently eating his own food. It was comfortable silence, he was perfectly okay with the domestic monotony, but he was okay with most things as it was, it didn't take a whole lot to please him. "did you finish your essays?" he asked.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

"Oh, well... Almost. I've got this one to do," Leila responded quickly, raising the papers she'd been studying. "This one is particularly long, sadly, the student who wrote it got most of the facts wrong and they aren't the best writer. I'll have to speak with them about it, but they did do their best." Handing the essay over to Derek, Leila returned to her food-though her eyes still flicked up towards Derek.

message 21: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek skimmed over it and tilted his head, "one of my boys is in your class... real trouble maker. Antoni Morrow" he spoke after a few moments, setting the paper on the table and continuing to eat. He didn't have much to say about the essay - it's not like he could've done any better.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

"hmm..." Eyes narrowing, Leila tapped her chin thoughtfully, "I know him. He's sweeter than most teen boys his age, but I'm afraid he's just scraping by." It was a wonder Antoni even got through and passes each class, even in her class Leila saw that he could only just understand the smallest amount of information. "I'm thinking he might be more of a social person than an intellect," she went on, then wondered if she was offending Derek-since Leila was speaking about one of his "boys", his fellow pack member

message 23: by goblin gender (new)

goblin gender (blanketedmelody) | 439 comments ((im sorry for interrupting but thats literally so fucking funny. hes dumb and everyone knows))

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

((Nah, it's fine. And Leila prefers not to be blunt when it comes to talking about her students))

message 25: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

<< im giggling oml >>

Derek nodded and quickly finished his plate, "You're not wrong" he spoke almost under his breath. He cared about his pack but sometimes they just... Man.. They just made some really dumb decisions. And he tried to think about himself in those situations, tried to give them some slack because they were boys. But he wouldn't have done anything like that when he was a kid. It was hard to imagine how anybody thought eating tide pods and jumping from buildings was funny. Elio and Antoni were his most troublesome, Abner was a little on the softer side.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

((Ya know what. I love the word giggle-don't ask me why))

Chuckling, Leila finished off her food and stood up, "Thanks for the food-honestly, if I tried cooking anything, I'd burn down my apartment in little to no time." Picking up her plate and utensils, Leila headed towards the kitchen and, after rinsing her dishes, she put them in the dishwasher. "Have you ever thought about adding any more color to this place?" Because, at that moment, the brightest thing in there was Leila's red pen and the white and pink floral dress she wore.

message 27: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek checked her out rather indiscreetly, leaning on his hand and shrugging. It was nearing the full moon and he always got a little frisky around the full moon, though they hadn't done anything like that yet, and he hadn't pressured her. "mmm... Like what?" he asked, glancing around. He wasn't the best with colors, he'd chosen grey because it was the easiest to manage.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Smirking as she turned back around, Leila shook her head slowly, "Well, maybe a nice picture that isn't black and white? Or even a bowl of fruit would add color to all..." Not finishing her sentence, and instead opting to just wave her hand around at their surroundings.

message 29: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He thought for a moment, staring down at the table and furrowing his brows. Maybe it was a little dull in here. He nodded though, "Yeah, you're probably right" he agreed, still mulling it over in his head. "Not good at that kind of stuff" he added awkwardly, shrugging.

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

Plopping back down in her set, this time cross legged, Leila leaned forward on her elbows. Head resting her hands, Leila shrugged her round shoulders, "Well, have no fear, because you're amazing girlfriend is more than happy to help." Pulling Derek's hand out from under head and tucking her hands beneath it, this was an action Leila did often now.

message 31: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek let out a small chuckle as he leaned back in his seat and nodded, "Obviously" he replied, watching her for a moment before turning his attention to the apartment around him. Part of him wondered for a brief moment, what she'd be like as a mother - then he realized what he was thinking and his cheeks went a shade of red. Jeez. He really did care a whole lot about her.

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Smirk growing larger, Leila nudged Derek's foot with her own, "You're red as a beet," she teased, white teeth flashing as the smirk evolved into a large, tilting smile. Leila sometimes found herself wondering what went on in Derek's head, after all, they'd only started dating for a couple of months. So, while Leila did know a lot about the man-probably more than others-she still didn't fully understand him, and she wanted to.

message 33: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

Derek suspected that she didn't understand. She couldn't, she wasn't a wolf, she probably didn't have as strong of a connection, probably didn't understand the way scents could change an atmosphere, what it was like to even have a mate. He didn't mention it though, smiling faintly, "It's nothing. Was dinner okay?" he asked.

<< oh btw how did you wanna turn Leila? >>

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

((I mean, she's not sick or dying rn. But when she is sick or dying, definitely))

message 35: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

<< mkay gotcha >>

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

He's not telling you something.. Leila noted, cocking a brow before answering his question, "Yes, it was lovely. Thank you for the lungfish-to be honest, if it weren't for you I'd be thin as a twig," she laughed merrily. Indeed, she'd been much lighter than she was now. And, thanks to Derek's concern and his ability to cook sustaining and healthy meals, Leila was actually eating all her meals instead of bags of chips and bottle after bottle of crappy soft drink.

message 37: by The Outsider (Whales or Whatever), gay eldritch whale god (new)

He nodded and stood up, pushing his chair in and glancing around, "It could use some color in here" he agreed, changing the subject again. "If you can... come up with a few ideas, I'll invest in more color" he added, sniffing at the air faintly before yawning into his hand. It'd been a long day.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Mimicking his movements and standing up as well, Leila pushed her chair in and tapped her chin. She'd recently gotten a phone, at her students' encouragement, and went to retrieve the device. Unlocking it, Leila searched something before returning to Derek's side. "Well, you could get a different couch?" Glancing up in time to notice the other's yawn, Leila leaned against Derek's side, "You should get some rest," she pointed out.