Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Night Shift (Midnight, Texas, #3)
This topic is about Night Shift
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Harris, Charlaine-- Night Shift informal buddy read starts July 20, 2018

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Night Shift by Charlaine Harris.

Synopsis
From the #1 New York Times bestselling author of the Sookie Stackhouse novels comes the third novel of Midnight, Texas, the town where some secrets will never see the light of day...

At Midnight’s local pawnshop, weapons are flying off the shelves—only to be used in sudden and dramatic suicides right at the main crossroads in town. Who better to figure out why blood is being spilled than the vampire Lemuel, who, while translating mysterious texts, discovers what makes Midnight the town it is. There’s a reason why witches and werewolves, killers and psychics, have been drawn to this place...

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Mary C (last edited Jul 13, 2018 06:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Another one I might be able to do if I can log in from Mexico and can get the book from the library.

Team Minerva.

eta: well lucky me, they had the ebook available for download. Now I just need to finish book 2.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Am I the only one doing this one? I was going to start early so I could get a couple of comments in before my trip. But I will hold off if no one's going to be ready for a while.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Am I the only one doing this one? I was going to start early so I could get a couple of comments in before my trip. But I will hold off if no one's going to be ready for a while."

It isn't scheduled to start until the 20th, so probably most people won't comment until then. I plan to read it.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Yes, but people usually post to say that they are in before the start date.

Deanna | 2962 comments I'm in for Team Flitwick. Sorry for the late checkin. I've had company all week.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Team Sprout. I probably can't start until tomorrow.

Deanna | 2962 comments Chapters 1 - 10

Kiki - (view spoiler)

Bobo - (view spoiler)

The Reeds - (view spoiler)

The Crossroad - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Deanna wrote: "Chapters 1 - 10

Kiki - [spoilers removed]

Bobo - [spoilers removed]

The Reeds - [spoilers removed]

The Crossroad - [spoilers removed]"

So I think the first season of the show may have spoiled some of this story, although I only have vague memories of what it actually was. (view spoiler)

Fiji (view spoiler)

Bobo (view spoiler)

The Reeds (view spoiler)

Manfred (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments Chapters 11 - 22

The crossroads - (view spoiler)

The Reeds - (view spoiler)

Fiji - (view spoiler)

The vampires - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 12

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Deanna wrote: "Chapters 11 - 22

The crossroads - [spoilers removed]

The Reeds - [spoilers removed]

Fiji - [spoilers removed]

The vampires - [spoilers removed]"

The Reeds (view spoiler)

Fiji (view spoiler)

Vampires (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments ch 23

Manfred (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments Finished!

Mr. Snuggly - (view spoiler)

Fiji and Bobo - (view spoiler)

Overall - I truly enjoyed this series and wish there were more books to read.

Deanna | 2962 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 23

Manfred [spoilers removed]"

Agreed. That one came out of nowhere and caught me totakky off guard as well.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2241 comments Deanna wrote: "Finished!

Mr. Snuggly - [spoilers removed]

Fiji and Bobo - [spoilers removed]

Overall - I truly enjoyed this series and wish there were more books to read."

I agree this was a good series and wish there were more. Maybe now that it is on TV, she will write more?

Mr. Snuggles (view spoiler)

Fiji & Bobo (view spoiler)

the townspeople (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2962 comments I agree this was a good series and wish there were more. Maybe now that it is on TV, she will write more?

Mr. Snuggles (view spoiler)

Fiji & Bobo (view spoiler)

the townspeople (view spoiler) "

I hope she writes more.

Re Bobo: (view spoiler)

the townspeople - (view spoiler)

Really there are so many potential story lines she could develop.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Hmm. Normally I can read what’s under people’s spoilers on my phone but I can’t at the moment.

Kind of curious as to what trouble Kiki is going to cause. She doesn’t seem to think Figi is a real witch.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Deanna, I was starting not to like the Reeds but I feel like they redeemed themselves.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments I finished this yesterday. Just got back from Mexico and finally have my laptop and can read peoples comments.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments Sylvester (view spoiler)

I really hope she expands the series.

message 24: by Mary C (last edited Jul 28, 2018 04:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5268 comments The ritual: (view spoiler)

This didn't read like a last in a series book to me.

Deanna | 2962 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Deanna, I was starting not to like the Reeds but I feel like they redeemed themselves."

I agree. It seems like they have finally found a home.

Deanna | 2962 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Sylvester [spoilers removed]

I really hope she expands the series."

I know! I feel like there are still plenty of opportunities for future books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Night Shift (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlaine Harris (other topics)