Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)
This topic is about House of Many Ways
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Jones, Wynne Diana-- House of Many Ways informal buddy read starts July 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31620 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones.

Synopsis
Charmain Baker is in over her head. Looking after Great-Uncle William's tiny cottage while he's ill should have been easy. But Great-Uncle William is better known as the Royal Wizard Norland, and his house bends space and time. Its single door leads to any number of places—the bedrooms, the kitchen, the caves under the mountains, the past, and the Royal Mansion, to name just a few.

By opening that door, Charmain has become responsible for not only the house, but for an extremely magical stray dog, a muddled young apprentice wizard, and a box of the king's most treasured documents. She has encountered a terrifying beast called a lubbock, irritated a clan of small blue creatures, and wound up smack in the middle of an urgent search. The king and his daughter are desperate to find the lost, fabled Elfgift—so desperate that they've even called in an intimidating sorceress named Sophie to help. And where Sophie is, can the Wizard Howl and fire demon Calcifer be far behind?

Of course, with that magical family involved, there's bound to be chaos—and unexpected revelations.

No one will be more surprised than Charmain by what Howl and Sophie discover.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

~ Buddy Style Reads ~
    Three Ways to Enjoy a Book!
At NRBC we use three styles of buddy reads. These will be indicated in the thread title as “Buddy Read”, “Relaxed Buddy Read” or “Informal Buddy Read”.
A “Buddy Read” has a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book. More information about these types of reads is below. An example is here, showing a reading schedule here.

A “Relaxed Buddy Read” is similar to our usual “buddy reads” except there are less questions and break points. For example, a book may be split into three sections and those reading the book should pause at the end of the section to answer some discussion questions, make comments, or ask their own questions to other readers. An example is here.

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

A “Read and Watch Buddy Read” may be set up as any of the above, but we will also watch the movie or T.V. series - or even go to a play! - and make comparisons, discussing what has been left out or changed as well as the actors and actresses. There is a long debate of what one should do first: read the books or watch the movie? We usually read first, but it isn’t essential. Also, if you would like to join in, but don’t want to watch the movie, show, or play, but only read the books, that is fine, too. An example is here.

MORE UNDER SPOILER
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Deanna | 2966 comments Checking in for Team Flitwick. I'm looking forward to starting this one.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments Team Sprout - planning to finish up Dark Lord of Derkholm today and will hopefully have time left to start this as well.

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Another Team Flitwick...

I'm going to finish Dark Lord of Derkholm first, and then start on this one.

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments ch 1 -3

Situation (view spoiler)

Spell book(view spoiler)

Charmain(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Chapters 1 - 5

Charmain - (view spoiler)

The wizard - (view spoiler)

Waif - (view spoiler)

Peter - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 1 -3

Situation [spoilers removed]

Spell book[spoilers removed]

Charmain[spoilers removed]"

About the Spell book - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments Deanna wrote: "Chapters 1 - 5

Charmain - [spoilers removed]

The wizard - [spoilers removed]

Waif - [spoilers removed]

Peter - [spoilers removed]"

Agree with all of that. I'm really loving Waif (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments ch 6 - 8

King and Princess (view spoiler)

Guest (view spoiler)

Charmain and Peter (view spoiler)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Finally picking this one up!

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments ch 9 - 11

Guests (view spoiler)

Charmain (view spoiler)

The house (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments ch 12 - end

That was fun! But similar to the other books in the series, everything really gets rushed in the last chapter or two. I would have liked a bit more wrap-up or an epilogue set later.

Charmain (view spoiler)

Waif (view spoiler)

kobolds (view spoiler)

Sophie (view spoiler)

message 15: by Deanna (last edited Jul 18, 2018 04:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deanna | 2966 comments Chapters 6 - 10

The King and Princess - (view spoiler)

Sophie, Howl, and Morgan - (view spoiler)

Peter - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 12 - end

That was fun! But similar to the other books in the series, everything really gets rushed in the last chapter or two. I would have liked a bit more wrap-up or an epilogue set later.

C..."

Ooops, totally forgot about Peter (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2242 comments Deanna wrote: "Chapters 6 - 10

The King and Princess - [spoilers removed]

Sophie, Howl, and Morgan - [spoilers removed]

Peter - [spoilers removed]"

Howl (view spoiler)

The King and Princess (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished!

Twinkle - (view spoiler)

Calcifer - (view spoiler)

Great story! I wish there were more of them.

Deanna | 2966 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 12 - end

C..."

I agree

Charmain - (view spoiler)

Sophie - (view spoiler)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Sorry, haven't really had a chance to comment yet. Only through Ch. 9... (view spoiler)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Finished... (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Amber wrote: "Finished... [spoilers removed]"

I agree about the ending. If I have one issue with the books in the series it is the abruptness of the endings.