What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1
This topic is about The Complete Short Stories
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Short Story - Theme of Sound/A Couple - Famous Author. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments Hello!

It was a famous author's collection of short stories - this one i'm looking for was probably the shortest in the book, as they're the ones I go for first. It had an abstract theme or dark humour to it. I vaguely remember something to do with specific sounds heard by a man and woman/couple in their living room. Something to do with a needle? Pinpoint sound or needle points for records? It went into great detail and the noises of the story ended it in a potentially damning way. I remember getting a sense of tinnitus from it,

Help! I want to read the other stories. Could've been a sci-fi author.

Thanks!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4069 comments Mod
Heather, when did you read this? Is the author contemporary?
e.g. are we thinking Edgar Allan Poe or Stephen King eras?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments Hello, thanks for your reply. i read it about 4 years ago, it wasn't new then but it is definitely in the later half of the century or beyond.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 3 comments I found the book! I discovered the title in an old photo of my cat on my phone, the book was open on the sofa.

It was J.G. Ballard’s Track 12 in his Complete Short Stories Vol 1 book.

Thank you for your help!

message 5: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36585 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Heather. I like your search technique. :) Here's the link - The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1 by J.G. Ballard.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Complete Short Stories: Volume 1 (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.G. Ballard (other topics)