{Atmosphere} {Roleplay} discussion

↠ The Wilds > Forest

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by War* (new)

War* (warr) | 136 comments

➳ Pᴀʀᴛ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴀʀɢᴇ ᴡᴏᴏᴅs

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle was wandering along the forest with a small basket. Several, clear tubes were in the bottom, and each one was filled with varying types of soil. There was a vial of course, dark dirt, a container of powdery and reddish soil, a tube of light brown dirt, and many others. Each tube was in a plastic bag with notes written in different sharpie colors. The notes told where the soil was found, what kind of plants it was near, and other important details. At first glance, the bags seemed to be color coded with the different colored sharpies, but upon closer inspection, no pattern could be discerned. The bag also had a few pairs of gloves, the sharpies, empty bags and tubes, sticky notes, a small trowel, and a small canteen of water.
Thistle knelt down near a stream and slipped on a pair of gloves to do her work. She carefully dug up a small amount of dirt with the trowel and let it trickle into a vial. She then capped the tube, put it in a plastic bag, and wrote its location down with a red sharpie. She also noted the type of trees by it and the stream.
She didn't realize it, but she had a soft smile on her face. It was nice to be alone out here instead of in the plant lab with all the other botanists. There was a little bit of a breeze tickling her face, and she could watch the animal life as she went about her work. I should volunteer to do the outdoors tasks more often. This is actually rather nice. She had never been much of a fan of the outdoors, but perhaps being cooped up in the lab made her a little more grateful for the open space, even if there were bugs around.

message 3: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments Phoenix wandered the forest. She was completely lost... when the crash happened she ran and hide to avoid discovery. She finally came to a stream. She sighed grateful to have found it. She looked around first before she stepped out. She had been without food for a while and only drank something when it was needed. She slowly approached the stream as her stomach also ached for food. Since she had ran off blindly from the crash she didn't know how to get back. She knew that she had to otherwise her escape would have been for nothing. As she came to the stream she cupped her hands to take a drink. Before her hands could even touch the water she felt the pain in her head. She cried out as darkness took over and she fell loudly in the water.

(Sorry it's so short)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments ((No worries! I don't always write long posts myself :)))

Thistle was about to move on to get a soil sample from another area when she heard what sounded like a person and a loud splash farther down the stream. She abandoned her bag and ran towards the noise. I hope it's just one of the scouts and not a wild animal. That thought unsettled her stomach, but she kept going anyway.
When she finally reached the source of the noise, she saw a body in the water. "Oh no..." She breathed. She jumped in after the girl and turned her over onto her back so she could breathe fresh air. Luckily the girl didn't weigh much, so Thistle had no trouble getting her onto the bank. She scrutinized the girl's face and thought for a moment, furrowing her brow. I don't remember seeing this girl around camp before... Huh. While Thistle was bad with names, she never forgot a face. Ever. And she didn't know this girl. There's probably an explanation for that. She mused, checking the girl's neck for a pulse. Maybe she's just a scout or something. I don't see the scouts very often as they're usually out scouting or something. I'm not really sure what they do exactly.

message 5: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments Phoenix, became vaguely aware that she was now wet but on the bank and someone was leaning over her. Her first reaction was to try to move away but her body didn't want to listen. She was a bit hazy and couldn't focus. Her body trembled. She tried one more attempt to move away but only manage to cause herself pain making her curl her knees to her as gentle tear fell from her eyes. She had been caught and just knew that the punishment was going to be even worst this time.

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Seeing that the girl was in pain, Thistle began looking around for plants that could maybe relieve some of the pain. Finding some kava kava leaves, she hurried down the stream to fetch her bags and pulled out a pestle and mortar to crush the leaves into a powder. She poured the powder into her canteen and held it to the girl's lips. "This should help you feel better." She murmured. Kava kava leaves were excellent pain killers, but they could become addictive like many other pain relievers. I wonder what kava kava leaves are doing out here. Those usually only grow in the Polynesian area...

message 7: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments Phoenix tried to push the canteen away but was to weak. She had no choice but to drink the mixture. After the moment the pain began to ease. A look of confusion took the place of her look of pain as it eased. Her eyes began to clear and she saw the woman that was helping her. She blinked as it came back to her that she was on the planet and not the ship. Suddenly she sat up causing a wave of dizziness to come over her. She moved her hand to her head. W-what happen?"

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle corked the canteen and set it aside. She didn't want the girl to overdose or get addicted. While the medicine did its work, she picked a few more leaves and put them in a plastic bag. She uncapped a sharpie with her mouth and wrote: Kava kava leaves; forest near stream. With that done, she put everything in the larger bag just as the girl was coming to. She helped the girl sit up and wiped some of the dirt from the stream off her face. "I'm not sure." She answered. "I heard a noise, and when I got here, you were in the water."

message 9: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments The way Phoenix looked at the woman would remind you of a child that was lost. "I..... was trying to get a drink." She rubbed her head. She then gave a small smile. "Thank you for..... the help." She lightly shivered. "I was trying to get back to......" She couldn't really think clearly. "How long have we been here..."

message 10: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments "You're welcome." Thistle chirped. "I'm just glad I found you when I did." However, the girl seemed like her thoughts were all muddled up, and that worried Thistle greatly. I hope she didn't get a concussion falling into the stream like that. Could she have hit her head on a rock or something...? I should probably check to make sure she's okay. She dug a small flashlight out of her bag and clicked it on. "I'm just going to check your eyes, okay?" She asked.

message 11: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments At first Phoenix shrank back but then realize that the woman was trying to help. "Okay..." She said softly trying to relax.

message 12: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle gave the girl an encouraging smile as she shone the small beam of light into each of the girl's eyes to see if the pupils were dilated or uneven in size. While she did this, she decided to make polite conversation. "I'm Thistle. What's your name?" She knew she probably wouldn't remember the girl's name due to her dyslexia, but she asked anyway to carry on some friendly conversation.

((Are Phoenix's pupils dilated or uneven in size?))

message 13: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (They should be uneven)

"I... I'm Phoenix... Nice to meet you?" " She said softly. "I don't mean to be so much trouble." She sighed moving her hand away from her. "I......." She forgot what she was about to say.

message 14: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments "Nice to meet you too." Thistle replied cheerily. She shone the light in both the girl's eyes and became even more concerned. Looks like she probably has a concussion. I should get her back to camp. As the girl continued talking, Thistle started packing up all her things with more and more urgency. She can't even form a coherent sentence anymore. This is most definitely bad. "Hey, Phoenix?" She asked. "Do you think you can stand up?"

message 15: by Priscilla (last edited Jul 26, 2018 09:54PM) (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments "I..I think so." Phoenix said. "I'm... " She sighed. "I don't feel so good." She was starting to feel confused again. "Thistle....." She started to say. But suddenly decided to try and stand. She was able to but only shakily. It made her feel some what dizzy but she fought to keep standing.

message 16: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle wrapped an arm around the girl to steady her. I wish I had the strength to carry her all the way, the poor dear... Thistle put her other arm over the girl's stomach to catch her in case she fell forward. "Okay, just one step at a time, and then I can treat you in the infirmary. Just breathe in when you step forward, and breathe out when you put your weight on that foot."

message 17: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (Sorry it's taken me so long to reply.)

Phoenix leaned on Thistle. "I'll do what I can.." She said softly. Slowly she moved to take a small step. She took a breath as she tried to step. She manage to take it and breath but she had to really think to do it causing her to hesitate with each step.

message 18: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments ((Sorry I’ve been gone all day. I’ll be on at six though.))

message 19: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (It's ok. I can wait until then. I have all night.)

message 20: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle was wishing the walk to camp was a lot shorter right now. She didn't have a whole lot of upper body strength, and it was taking everything she had to support Phoenix while walking upstream on rocky ground. Not to mention the tote bag over her shoulder with all her soil samples and supplies wasn't exactly as light as a feather.
After several minutes of walking with Thistle encouraging Phoenix every step of the way, the camp finally came into view. "Almost there..." Thistle breathed, having worked up quite a sweat from her endeavor. It had been falling into her eyes as she walked, but both her hands were supporting the girl and couldn't wipe the droplets out of her eyes. As a result, her vision was becoming very blurry, so she hoped Phoenix could see better than she herself could at the moment.

message 21: by Priscilla (last edited Jul 29, 2018 05:01PM) (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments Phoenix was grateful for Thistle's help. She knew it was quite warm and that Thistle needed to take a moment or they would both be in trouble. "Thistle... I need to stop..." She said softly. "Just for a moment. ..." She then stopped walking. "I promise, just for a moment." She gently sighed. She hoped that this would also help Thistle.

message 22: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments "Okay." Thistle agreed, thankful for the opportunity to rest for a short while. She helped Phoenix down into a sitting position with a tree trunk at her back for support. Thistle herself, however, stayed standing. She feared that if she sat down, she might not be able to get back up again. She leaned over a small stream and slapped water on her face, neck, and hair to cool off. She ended up with wet hair and a soaked shirt, but it felt almost heavenly in the humidity. "Tell me when you feel like walking again. We should be there in about ten minutes if we can go without stopping." She was tempted to drink from the stream, but as a scientist, she knew just how much bacteria and protozoa lived in water like this. The trickling water looked clear enough, but it housed millions of microscopic organisms.
Turning around to check on Phoenix, Thistle filled her spare canteen up with river water and bathed the other girl's face with it to cool her down. I only wish I had an ice pack or something for her to hold to her forehead... Her legs were starting to feel weak, so she slid down next to Phoenix, hoping a short rest would give her a little extra strength.

message 23: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments "Thank you." Phoenix said softly. "It's gotten quite warm out here..." She looked to where the camp was. Her head was still fussy and she wasn't sure how she got to the forest. "They won't be mad that you found me, will they?" She asked softly. "I should be ready in a few minutes..." She looked at Thistle. "But we can go when you're ready."

message 24: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle shook her head slowly. "I don't think anyone will be mad." She closed her eyes and leaned back against a tree trunk. "Just give me one more minute, and I'll be ready to go again." It felt nice to relax under the shade of the trees with cool water soaking her clothing. She probably should change her clothing when she got back to camp, but in all likelihood, she'd most likely just throw on a lab coat and get straight to work.
"You ready?"

message 25: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments "I hope not..... and yes.. I'm ready." Phoenix replied gently. She gathered up all her strength to stand again. She glanced at moment back at the forest. "This is a beautiful forest... But it's also very dangerous...." She sighed gently.

message 26: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments "I hope not..... and yes.. I'm ready." Phoenix replied gently. She gathered up all her strength to stand again. She glanced at moment back at the forest. "This is a beautiful forest... But it's also very dangerous...." She sighed gently.

message 27: by Priscilla (new)

message 28: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle got up and helped Phoenix stand up with one arm around her back and one around her waist. She ducked under Phoenix's free arm so that the girl had her arm over her shoulders and exhaled slowly. "Okay, whenever you're ready step with your right foot."

message 29: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments Phoenix breathed gently as Thistle helped her up. She rested her arm on her shoulders. "I think.. I'm ready." She said softly. She hesitated a moment before taking step forward with her right foot. She was a bit shaky and exhaled the her breath.

message 30: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments "Okay." Thistle inhaled and matched her pace to Phoenix's. As they walked along, she realized that getting to camp in ten minutes had been too optimistic a hope. It was going to take them at least fifteen more if they kept a steady pace, but she feared that they would only get slower and slower as they walked. Sweat began to trickle into her eyes again, causing her to almost trip over a root. Luckily, she caught her balance, but she grimaced at the thought of how painful it would have been for Phoenix had she stumbled and fallen.
They continued in this fashion for what felt like an eternity. Shaky step after shaky step after shaky step after shaky step. Thistle was becoming weaker with every step, but she pushed ahead, knowing that if she stopped, she might never get back to camp.
Luckily for the two women, someone was looking for them. Well, looking for Phoenix anyway. Mia Wells had found the trail of the girl she was assigned to watch and was following it into the forest when she came upon Thistle and Phoenix. She jumped out of the brush and quickly helped Phoenix stand still on her other side. "What happened?" She asked.
It took Thistle a moment to reply as she needed to catch her breath. "I think she's had a concussion. I'm trying to get her to camp and get checked out in the infirmary."
Mia nodded. "Let me help you." She scooped up Phoenix in her arms like the girl weighed almost nothing and motioned for Thistle to follow her. "I'm Mia, one of the scouts. Who are you?"
"My name's Thistle, and I'm a botanist. This is Phoenix, but I'm not really sure what she is or what she was doing out here. She seems very disoriented. Do not let her go to sleep."
Mia nodded again, refraining from telling the botanist that she knew how to treat a victim of a concussion.

message 31: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments If Phoenix felt any pain when their balance was slightly thrown of she didn't show it. She felt worried for Thistle more than for herself. Even with all that was going on with her she knew they both had to get to the camp. If she hadn't felt so tired and weak she would of jumped when another woman appeared at her side to help. She only tried to listen and not talk as the Thistle spoke to the woman who introduced herself a Mia. The name was only slightly familiar but was lost in the jumble of her mind. Suddenly she was being carried in Mia's arms. Her head was starting to hurt and she felt confused. Her eyes slightly blurred and she suddenly felt as if she couldn't stay awake. She did try to speak but it was her voice was so low it came out as and inaudible whisper. She shivered in Mia's arms.

message 32: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments Thistle tried to keep up with Mia's brisk pace but ended up trailing a little behind her as she didn't have the energy to match the younger scout's pace. Her feet were starting to drag, and her hair was damp with both sweat and water. At least they were almost to camp now. Just several more feet before she could sit down in her lab with her dirty lab coat and conduct tests on her soil samples. But more importantly, Phoenix need some acetaminophen in her system. The kava kava leaves should be wearing off about now as she gave the girl only a small dose because she'd misjudged the time it would take to get back to camp.

Mia was relieved that she'd found Phoenix, but that relief had quickly been replaced by more worry and anxiety. How the heck did she end up out here, and how did she get a concussion? I really need to talk to Thistle later about this. Not to mention, I need to know why Phoenix was even out here in the first place. A sliver of motion caught her eye, and she looked down at Phoenix, perceiving a small movement in her lips, like she was trying to say something. "Keep those eyes open, Phoenix." She commanded, feeling the girl shiver in her arms. "We're almost there. Just stay awake a little longer, hun. I know it feels good to rest, but you can't just yet. We need to get some medicine in you." Mia continued coaxing the girl as she walked until finally they reached camp. "Okay, we're here. Just a little bit more, just a little longer while we get you fixed up."

message 33: by Priscilla (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:37AM) (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments It was getting harder and harder for Phoenix to keep her eyes open. "Just a nap....." She said softly then slightly yawned. She shivered again. Her head began to hurt again and confusion was starting to return. It was as if she was only slightly awake but still dreaming things that didn't make sense to her. She tried to speak but most of it was to low to understand or only bits of what she was trying to say. She tried focusing on Mia who was carrying her but caught sight of where they were headed. She was suddenly afraid causing her to actually tremble. "No... please......." She said in a barely heard voice. She wanted to fight but was to weak to anything more than speak.

message 34: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments "No napping yet, sweetie." Mia replied, heading to the drop pod. "Looks like the infirmary is busy." She noted as they passed by.
"Take her to my lab." Thistle said, taking the lead. It felt nice to be in a place with air conditioning after the humidity of the forest. "I have some acetaminophen in there somewhere."
"Alright." Mia agreed, following the botanist. She wasn't sure what acetaminophen was, but the woman seemed to know what she was talking about. She set down Phoenix on an empty table and placed a few cloths under her head for support while Thistle dug around in some of the cabinets, no doubt looking for the medicine she spoke of earlier. "Okay, stay with us for just a little bit longer, Phoenix. Let us help you."
At that moment, Thistle returned with two pills and a glass of water. She held Phoenix's head up and put the first pill up to the girl's mouth. "Take these. It'll relieve the pain."

((Want to move to the botany lab? https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...))

message 35: by Priscilla (last edited Jul 30, 2018 11:47AM) (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (sure, do you want me to post there.)

message 36: by the_rabid_snail (new)

the_rabid_snail | 44 comments ((Yes.))

message 37: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (Sorry for the delay in replying. I'll reply here in a bit.)

message 38: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla Sage (priscillasage) | 67 comments (I'm sorry it took so long. I have posted.)