Tudor History Lovers discussion

Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII
This topic is about Blood Will Tell
Group Reads > August 2018 - Blood Will Tell, by Kyra Kramer

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments August's Group Read is Blood Will Tell: A Medical Explanation of the Tyranny of Henry VIII, by Kyra Cornelius Kramer.

It was published in 2012, and seems to be available in print and for kindle (not sure about other formats).

Alex | 43 comments Awesome! This has been on my to-read list since 2012, so I hope I can find a copy and join in with you guys.

message 3: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Ross | 2 comments Thank you for choosing this one! I'm looking forward to this discussion.

Linda Arroz | 11 comments I ordered it on Kindle, so I'm slow to finish, since I usually like to listen to books while I'm doing other things. I'm really intrigued by this subject, it makes so much sense! Is everyone finished and is this the discussion board for the book?

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 1979 comments I haven't been able to find a copy yet.

But this is indeed the right forum.

Antonietta | 33 comments I finished it. It is very interesting specially the parts regarding medicine and the king illnesses'.
I found a copy on Amazon Uk on used books.

Antonietta | 33 comments Antonietta wrote: "I finished it. It is very interesting specially the parts regarding medicine and the king illnesses'.
I found a copy on Amazon Uk on used books."

New is out of stock but there are some used one in Amazon Uk and Amazon ( just Amazon for me is the US one)

Alex | 43 comments I read it, forgot to come back here to discuss!

I wasn't a fan of the book. I didn't buy her hypothesis, and it seemed to be just an excuse to write a biography on the six wives.

Arwen | 52 comments I read it too and found the theory interesting. However I am not totally convinced that it is true, and I do not think it will ever be possible to prove it. The author seems to be sure of her fact and uses historical details as if they were proof but this is only theoretical.
Some parts of the book were very interesting so I don't feel like I wasted my time reading it.

Linda Arroz | 11 comments I finished this book on Kindle yesterday. What a fascinating read! I felt pleased that I could follow all the characters in the story. If you're not fluent in the cast of characters in the Tudor world, it might be a bit confusing. The author had a way of using everyday words to describe the king and his behaviors, making the presentation of events more plausible. I do buy into the theory, it makes a lot of sense, particularly the issues with multiple pregnancies gone awry. She has done her homework and put a personal and contemporary spin on a time period of much turmoil. I really enjoyed this, especially since I've seen several documentaries on the topic, including "Inside the Body of Henry VIII." What stands out about the author's theory is that she is able to plausibly explain what the King wasn't suffering from, like Syphilis, since the treatments, rumors, and health of his wives would have been written about, like those of the French King, who did have Syphilis. The writer is also sympathetic to Katheryn Howard, who I was not so interested in before this book. While we will never know the truth, this book posits quite the case for the two health issues that could have caused all the deaths of his children and his tyrant behavior.