Mountain & Prairie Book Club discussion

The Big Burn > Jul-Aug Book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Oelger | 5 comments Do we have a Jul-Aug book selection?

message 2: by Ed (new)

Ed Roberson | 56 comments Mod
Hey Aaron, thanks for checking in. Official announcement will be this weekend, but it will be "Blood and Thunder: The Epic Story of Kit Carson and the Conquest of the American West" by Hampton Sides. It's unbelievably good. You'll love it. Look for an announcement this weekend on the blog and social media.

http://a.co/0oT9Yv7

Thanks.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily Lewis | 5 comments Yikes! I'm still trying to finish the Big Burn!

message 4: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Oelger | 5 comments Thanks Ed. Wasn’t trying to jump the gun. Just finished Wilderness Warrior. Still working on Three Roads to the Alamo and a couple other titles but looking for a couple books to add for some upcoming travel. Appreciate the advance notice on our next book.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2 comments Spending the last week in Jasper National Park (the northern sister to Banff National Park in Alberta), the Big Burn was very much on my mind. With the arrival of the mountain pine beetle in 2016, most (visual estimates would say 80-95% of large portions of the park) of the pine are now a distinct red and dead. All told, a massive amount of fuel is just waiting for what I’d say is inevitable. Being from a less treed terrain, I found it sobering to see some of the same historical discussions and perspectives playing out within this modern context of climate change.

message 6: by Ed (new)

Aaron wrote: "Thanks Ed. Wasn’t trying to jump the gun. Just finished Wilderness Warrior. Still working on Three Roads to the Alamo and a couple other titles but looking for a couple books to add for some upcomi..."

No problem at all! Glad to know that there's good interest in this. You'll love it. It's one of my all-time favorites. Safe travels!

message 7: by Ed (new)

Andrea wrote: "Spending the last week in Jasper National Park (the northern sister to Banff National Park in Alberta), the Big Burn was very much on my mind. With the arrival of the mountain pine beetle in 2016, ..."

Hi Andrea,

Yes, we've seen the quick devastation of beetle kill here in Colorado in a big way. It's amazing how quickly it can spread and completely transform a landscape.