2022 & 2023 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Satin’s 80 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments My goal is to read 80 books. Extremely excited to start this year!

message 2: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I’m starting this challenge mid year. I’ve read 53/80 so far

message 3: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Books I read in June:
Ps: I read an amazing( for me) 12 books.

( in order I read them, first to last)

Thunderhead by Neal shusterman

The secret of the nightingale wood by Lucy strange
Anne of green gables by LM Montgomery
Paris for two by phoebe stone

The End by Lemony Snicket
An ember in the ashes by Sabaa tahir
Once upon a cruise by Anna steinweinzski

Who could that be at this hour? By Lemony Snicket

Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban ( re read)

Countdown by Deborah wiles

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Double sin and other stories by Agatha Christie

message 4: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments What I’ve read so far in July:
Heartless by marissa Meyer
South by southeast by Anthony Horowitz
One by Sarah crossan
I really recommend one by Sarah crossan because the story is truly life changing. It makes you re think your problems.

message 5: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 4209 comments Good luck, Satin!

message 6: by Blagica (new)

Blagica  | 12050 comments Awesome progress so far and welcome again Satin.

message 7: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I’ve always wanted to try out Agatha Christie’s books and decided to that this summer! In another group I’m a member of in my community’s library, we voted to read an Agatha Christie novel. I started out with double sin and other stories. I’ve always loved watching the Hercule Poirot tv series, and thought starting with a book related to him might make my way of exploration into Agatha Christie’s forest of books easier ;) 😀😀 I loved that book and was very happy with the direction it took. So the second books of her’s I’m reading ( which is what I’m going to read after I type this 😂) is Murder in Mesopotamia. It had a slow start, but I’m really in to it now! If you’ve read any of Christie’s works, which is your favorite?

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Dufield | 88 comments I've only read Murder on the Orient Express. I didn't pick up on the clues that Hercule Poirot used to solve the murder. But it was an interesting read.

message 9: by Ben (new)

Ben Marcus | 2 comments Death on the Nile is one of my favorites! She turned it into a play called Murder on the Nile, too.

message 10: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Just finished Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie! It was a total ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ five star read! The ending was fabulous and I was NOT expecting the end! I’m excited to read other of her works since I need to read 3 this month. ( a bit behind XD) thank you to anyone who recommended one of her books!

message 11: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have currently started a new Agatha Christie read! I’ve started A holiday for Murder by Agatha Christie. It’s a bit hard to get into, but it was the same for the first 20 or 30 pages of murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie , and that one didn’t disappoint me at all! I hope I can finish it because I have 1 more book to read by her to complete my month of Christie challenge!

message 12: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have just finished another book this month! I finished An Abundance of Kathrines by John Green. I rated it a total of ⭐️⭐️⭐️ three stars out of five. I thought it was a quick read and it had nice elements but, I thought it lacked some things and I expected EVERYTHING! It’s a mid like mid didn’t like.

message 13: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I’ve finished my 6th book of the month! I finished a holiday for Murder by Agatha Christie! I want to rate it 4/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars. I thought the beginning was a bit confusing, and the middle was a bit to........ MEH. I thought the ending was worth it All! I enjoyed the ending and give it 4 stars just because of that! ( the murderer was who I suspected, but the murder was not done how I expected it)

message 14: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I’ve just finished my seventh book of the month! This book was George’s Marvelous Medicine by Roald Dahl. I picked this book up, knowing it was meant for young children, however I really enjoyed it!! I think the humor in it was delightful, and sweet. I think the idea was Very unique and the characters were funny too! I think you could be 80 years old, or 8 years old ( George’s grandma and George’s age 😂😂) and you could still enjoy this book! No ones ever too old for some good old Ronald Dahl! This one was definitely on the quicker and shorter side of things. Being only 99 pages.

message 15: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have now finished my eighth book of the month. I finished Girl Online by Zoe Sugg and I give a 5/5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️stars. I think this was a perfect contemporary/girly read to get me out of a reading slump. I did find some parts to have some problems, however I enjoyed the rest! I’m so glad I want to read again! #OutofMyReadingSlump

message 16: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments This idea was inspired by lady clementines reading corner: Malika’s 108. I’m going to aim to read books from 10 different places in the world until the end of September of 2018.
Countries read so far:
England; Girl Online by Zoe Sugg AKA Zoella
Iraq; Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie

message 17: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have finished my ninth book of the month, Parker Pyne Investigates by Agatha Christie. I rated it a total of 2 ⭐️⭐️ out of five stars. I think through the book I was thinking please make it stop, or Ughhhhhh! I thought I would enjoy this so much, but I didn’t and I’m disappointed. I was expecting this book to be short stories of a detective who kicks butt( or at least solves mysteries in a witty way), but MR.Pyne makes people happy. They pay him and he tries to add more joy in their lives. I only liked the first 2 short stories( 2 stars come from those) and honestly, I think I might have an unpopular opinion with this one,but I’m not going to say it’s awesome if it’s not. I hope I still get motivated to read the other Christie books. Ughhhhhhhh

message 18: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I just finished my tenth book of the month ( YAY! I met my goal) The book I finished was A Girl Like Me by Lola Stvil. I rated it a 5/5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️stars. I thought this book was unique in its format, as it’s written in verse/poetry. I loved the characters and made so many connections I never thought I’d make. I loved the development the characters had through the story, and I enjoyed seeing their relationships grow.i highly recommend this book for anyone who needs to try something new. I’m very glad I came across this book.

message 19: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have now read 60/80 books. Only 20 more to go! Think I might increase my goal if I end finishing it to 100 books............

message 20: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Welcome August! My goal is to read another 10 books this month. I just finished my very first one! The book I finished was A Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir. I thought this book was a fabulous sequel. It was exhilarating, it was action packed, and with every chapter the story unfolded itself even more. The cliffhanger at the end truly DESTROYED me! I need to read the third book. I highly recommend this series because it is very unique and truly does stand on its own. Has anyone else read the Ember in the Ashes series?

message 21: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments And needless to say, I rate a Torch Against the Night by Sabaa Tahir 5/5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️stars

message 22: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I just finished my second book of the month. That makes 2/10. I finished Down and Across by Arvin Ahmadi. I thought his book was absolutely wonderful!! I enjoyed it in one sitting because I simply could not put it down! I thought that the cultural aspect to it was awesome! I loved Scott’s character and I think people can learn MANY things from his journey. This book was very very unique! I’m very glad I’ve been reading book that I seem to really enjoy! I can’t believe I hadn’t read this one earlier! I’m so excited to possibly read other books by this author since this novel was his debut. I rate it 5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ stars. It absolutely sldeserves it! I recommend 110%

message 23: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I finished my third book of the month! I’ve been in a reading slump lately, so that’s probably why I haven’t been reading as much. I finished Furthermore by Tahereh Mafi. This was August TbR Twins read with Jenny. I absolutely loved this book! I think the writing style was beautifully done, and I think the world and magic system was amazing! I really enjoyed Alice as a character. But clearly, she had her own flaws ( like every character does) I’m very glad that some of those flaws were overcome by the end. I just wish that the ending would be done just a little differently. And maybe for them to make it a little bit longer? However I think this going on my top 18 books of 2018 list! I reccomend this 100%. Needless to say 5/5 stars for me.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 24: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Countries read so far:
England: Girl Online by Zoe Sugg
Iraq: Murder in Mesopotamia by Agatha Christie
United States : Down and Across by Arvin Ahmadi
Also I think I’m extending the challenge to November 2018

message 25: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have now finished my fourth book of the month. I finished the Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson. I loved this book! First of all, it’s not often that I get to read a long contemporary book, so that element was awesome!!! I loved how nerdy this book was. I enjoyed the great deal of friendship in this book, since I really enjoy a group of friends that are close to each other, and support each other. I felt as if the romance in this book was well planned out, but could’ve used the tiniest bit more development. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style. I also enjoyed seeing Andie’s relationship grow with her dad. I will certainly be trying other books by Morgan Matson. I rate this book a well deserved 5/5 stars. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I absolutely recommend this book, especially if you’re in a summery setting, or if you are traveling on a flight, train, metro, car ( you could go with the audiobook route too!), or anywhere really! I personally read this on a long flight. I hope I can read even more books!

message 26: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I am posting about this quite late but my fifth book of August was: Throne of Glass by Sarah J Mass. This book was very beautiful to read. Caleana was a great character to read about as well. I loved the plot.
5/5 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 27: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments Hello September!🧡💛❤️🍂
The two books I’ve read so far are; The sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon. And I’ve also read The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse.

message 28: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 352 comments I have finished two more books this month. Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz and The Cathcher in the Rye by JD Salinger.
I rate Stormbreaker 5/5 stars and The Catcher in the Rye 2/5 stars. I didn’t love the catcher in the rye, but I didn’t hate it so much as to give it one star. I feel as if the book just wasn’t for me. That brings my monthly total so far to 4 books.