Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Basics Animation 02: Digital Animation
This topic is about Basics Animation 02
Book Cover Help > Same book with 2 different covers

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments The book I have, with the same ISBN, have a different cover. Any ideas on what I should do?

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments That is quite common and why the Alternative Cover Edition was invented.

Is your cover already in the database or does it need to be added?

message 3: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments It needs to be added. Where can I access this Alternative Cover Edition? Haven't seen it anywhere before.

message 4: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Also, does the book count as an alternative cover edition if the ISBN is the same but the title is different in the same language? (this is regarding another book)

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments Alternative cover editions just look like other editions but there is a note in the description with the isbn/asin. There is also a note for librarians which members cannot see, so that we don't delete that edition.

You can add the book and link it here if you like & I'll add the notes to it (just use the add another edition link). Or you can list all the information for the book and I'll add it for you.

The alternative cover edition is for books with the same content. So is the content of the book the same just with a different title, or is it a re-used isbn for an entirely different book? I've seen both possibilites, though just a change in title is the more common.

If it is just a change in title yes, it becomes an alternative cover edition. If its an entirely different book no, it isn't but it would still need a librarian note to avoid confusion if librarians edit it in the future.

message 6: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Ok, so instead of writing the ISBN number in its own field, we write it in the description, saying that book is an alternative cover of the book with the same ISBN. Did I get that right?

As for the other book, the content seems to be the same for both, but both have different titles and the same ISBN. So I'll need to create another edition, but with a different title and cover image, as well as a note for future editing.

Yes? :)

message 7: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Also, here's the link of the book with my added comment:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 8: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments Pinar, it would be best if in future you add the book & post in Book Issues for the ACE notes to be added, as only a librarian can add the librarian note.

The comment you posted at the bottom of the ACE edition won't be seen by anyone looking at the edit page & isn't a Librarian Note.

message 9: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments I see. I'm sorry for the trouble. In the edit details page, it said "Librarian Note" at the bottom, and since I am a librarian (but with very little experience) I thought that was where I was supposed to write it.

If my note can't be seen, I will post it in Book Issues like you said. Thank you.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments Pinar I was assuming you were a reader member & not a librarian member. It was certainly no trouble, but you can do the edits once you know how.

As you are a librarian, if you have a look at the beginning of the description of your ACE edition you'll see what I did with the isbn.

And if you look at the edit page for that edition you'll see the Librarian Note (which is the same, but shows up on the combine page). If there are many editions of a book I also add a link to the original copy, but if there are only a couple I don't usually bother.

Librarian Manual re Alternative Cover Editions
https://www.goodreads.com/librarian_m...

I encourage you to have a go with that other book you've got to do and if you have any questions, just post again and I'll walk you through it :)

message 11: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments You know it's funny, I just did everything you wrote :) I was going to post in book issues about it, but then I thought "Wait a minute, there was a librarian manual!!" So I checked the ACE part of it, and realized that the librarian note part was at the top, and not the bottom :) I also added a note for the second book, if you'd like to check, here it is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

There's one thing that bothers me about this book, though. When I search for the title, another book appears. I feel it's exactly the same as this, but the authors are entered differently. One of them (the one in the link) shows the person who wrote the introduction and commentaries, and the other shows the illustrator, J.J. Grandville. I wasn't sure whether they should be combined or not, so I didn't do anything. What do you think?

Here's the link for the other version: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments Well done Pinar!

OK. Added your Librarian Note to the top of the description :)

On to the other editions. They need Stanley Appelbaum added as another author, also add him as Editor, save, then go back in and move him to the primary author spot (little arrow up), save. You need to do that to both of the editions. Only when Stanley is showing as the primary author on all editions can you combine them.

Do you know how to combine them?

message 13: by Pinar (new) - added it

Pinar Alsac (piinar) | 26 comments Yes, I do. That's how my librarianship started, actually, with the need of combining Turkish translations of books :)

Thank you so much for your help! I'll let you know if I have more questions.

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 26898 comments :)

Glad I could help!