Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Swans of Fifth Avenue by Melanie Benjamin 4*'s

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MargieD2017 (new)

MargieD2017 | 277 comments I have wanted to read this book for a while now. I knew of Truman Capote from the 60's and 70's obviously through his books but also for his appearances with William F Buckley and feuds with Gore Vidal and Norman Miller. Their egos were so large that no more than one of them could successfully exist in a room at one time! Great fun to listen to their verbal fencing. However, I was not aware of the Swans. The ladies of Manhattan society into whose circle Truman Capote inserted himself and delighted in their adventures accompanying them on cruises, attending their parties and meeting with them regularly for lunch. One amongst the ladies, Babe Paley (wife of the CBS founder William Paley), became his closest friend where her loneliness and Truman's loneliness exposed common emotional needs. The book tells of their shared confidences and secret exchanges that ultimately leads to a Capote 'tell-all' tale sold to Esquire. I truly enjoyed this book and found the author's handling of the subject delightful. Her explanations at the book's end of what the book was and what it was not added to my delight.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9388 comments I really enjoyed this one!

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6407 comments I love Melanie Benjamin's historical fiction!