Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Chamber Pot > On Dit — Book Title Talk

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4107 comments Mod
Let’s face it. There are some “interesting” titles in the historical romance genre. Whether they are a play on a movie title, a classic book title or a famous quote, they range from inspired to ‘umm...what were they thinking?’

So, let’s hear it. What are some that you love and some you love to hate? If you’ve read the book, did it relate to the story?

description

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments Sarah Maclean has several memorable titles. The ones I thought were creative are The Rogue Not Taken and A Scot in the Dark. Whether they relate to the plot, I can't really recall.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo.

This book had better be damned good, bec the title sucks hard.

message 4: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Yes, she has some good ones! I like those titles much better than her first numbered series. And I think the titles somewhat relate.

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo.

This book had better be damned good, bec the title sucks hard."

That is the one that I was first thinking of with this topic!

message 6: by Shannon (new)

Shannon | 348 comments I love it when I can find the title somewhere in the book I'm reading. Those are usually books I have an easier time remembering. I continually run into books with the same covers and titles (well, close to the same) Same models, and a duke or earl in every title. Then again, Fabio turned up on everything in the 80's.

When I read Flowers From the Storm by Laura Kinsale, I understood the name from the story. I can remember reading the passage and thinking "OH, there's the title!" It made sense and it's memorable.

Worst title? Hmmmm, I have to agree with the most recent in my head, which is the one that's already been mentioned here.

message 7: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Yes, she has some good ones! I like those titles much better than her first numbered series. And I think the titles somewhat relate."

Those numbered titles are too long to fit on a book cover. I remember only the number part and nothing else from those titles:)

message 8: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo.

This book had better be damned good, bec the title sucks hard."

That is a funny title and it makes me wonder where that tattoo is, on his body.

message 9: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Let’s face it. There are some “interesting” titles in the historical romance genre. Whether they are a play on a movie title, a classic book title or a famous quote, they range from inspired to ‘um..."
I think the Rouge not Taken title worked because they were traveling through most of the book.

message 10: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Shannon wrote: "I love it when I can find the title somewhere in the book I'm reading.

Me too, Shannon. I remember loving the scene in A Kingdom of Dreams A Kingdom of Dreams (Westmoreland, #1) by Judith McNaught where the title is referenced. It's a beautiful title and a beautiful scene.

*rant alert*
I must say I find the current trend of HR book titles that pun on a pop culture reference really annoys me. Quite often the books are good, but the titles are so silly, and IMO won't have much longevity. e.g. I'm reading I Kissed an Earl I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green, #4) by Julie Anne Long (and I liked it......) Yeah. I do actually like the book, but hey, publishers, I didn't buy it because of the silly title, I bought it because I like the writer's other books.

The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo?? Just no. Apparently the author wanted to call it The Heathen, but she didn't get a say. :(

I wonder what future HR readers will think of this current crop of silly titles a few years down the track, when no-one remembers or cares about the original references.

I presume these kinds of titles are to attract a potential buyer's attention, but frankly they just annoy me, and I like to think they don't influence my buying patterns.

OK, rant over.......

message 11: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments That sucks that an author wouldn't get a say, I'm buying their book. I trust them with the title.

message 12: by Shannon (last edited Jul 13, 2018 07:08PM) (new)

Shannon | 348 comments Jan130 wrote: "Shannon wrote: "I love it when I can find the title somewhere in the book I'm reading.

Me too, Shannon. I remember loving the scene in A Kingdom of Dreams

I think you're so right! Kingdom of Dreams and Almost Heaven immediately came to mind when I think of memorable titles. Especially Almost Heaven Almost Heaven (Sequels, #3) by Judith McNaught because that one made me cry and I've never forgotten it.

Titles; character names; covers; book length: these are all up to publisher opinion. I imagine that "Heathen" probably makes more sense for this book, but I haven't read it, so I don't know. Tattoos seem to be the next trend.

I don't care for the silly names either. I see very little promise of longevity in the newer books nowadays and as a lover of romance novels...this just makes me sad.

message 13: by Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 (last edited Jul 16, 2018 05:04AM) (new)

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments A couple for me were.... A Beauty for the Scarred Duke by Bridget Barton A Beauty for the Scarred Duke and The Blue Devil (The Regency Matchmaker, #1) by Melynda Beth Andrews The Blue Devil

message 14: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jul 16, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan,

I agree with you about the puns on pop culture stuff. Horrible! Those those titles don’t agree with me at all.

message 15: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments This one just appeared in my friends update:
How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back by Sophie Barnes Ugghh... Really according to the Historical thesaurus Groove was not used in this instance until 1937 as American Slang - Disappointing from Avon.

message 16: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Loriidae wrote: "This one just appeared in my friends update:
How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back How Miss Rutherford Got Her Groove Back by Sophie Barnes Ugghh... Really according to the Hi..."

Yeah that one's a shocker alright, Lorildae.

message 17: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Yeah, I think that’s worse than the dragon tattoo.

message 18: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "Yeah, I think that’s worse than the dragon tattoo."

Agreed.

message 19: by Wynifred (new)

Wynifred | 37 comments oh man, that one's bad

message 20: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments These are hilarious. Thanks for my laugh.

Why would these authors use modern play on words for HR?

message 21: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Mariana wrote: "These are hilarious. Thanks for my laugh.

Why would these authors use modern play on words for HR?"

On the whole I don't think the authors always have the final say. But apparently publishers seem to think these kinds of titles sell better. Hmmmm. And the current crzae is also to have a duke as the H, no less. Cos that supposedly sells better too.

It's a shame, IMO. I feel publishers are disrespecting me. But then, I'm not looking at the bottom line. Maybe the figures are there to suggest these kinds of sales tactics work. After all, lots of people do seem to read those trashy tabloid-style magazines with fake pregnancies on the cover (It's TWINS for the princess!!!! with an arrow pointing to a 'baby bulge' aka a little too much dinner) I'm ashamed of those magazines, quite frankly. But somebody out there must be buying them........

Missy (semi-hiatus) | 1192 comments I've noticed bodice rippers tend have a three words maximum in their titles. lol.

Or they combine two words to form one word (I tried looking up their definitions and couldn't find any, so I assume they're not real words).
Stormfire, Lovefire, Dawnfire

message 23: by Lorien (last edited Jul 20, 2018 09:31PM) (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Name recognition is like 50% of the game, so when a book can use a well known saying or a play on words from another known work, it'll stick in the readers head better? Catch our eye?

I'm not supper picky about characters titles, but even I'm starting to notice the abundance of dukes. Sarah MacLean's new series is an example of things moving away from that though.

message 24: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments The issue for me is when the title has no bearing on the story, I love Kelly Bowen, but a couple of hers: The Lady in Red (no mention of red clothing of any sort) and I've Got My Duke to Keep Me Warm (no duke in sight)

message 25: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Loriidae wrote: "The issue for me is when the title has no bearing on the story, I love Kelly Bowen, but a couple of hers: The Lady in Red (no mention of red clothing of any sort) and [book:I've Got..."

That drives me a little crazy....

message 26: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Loriidae wrote: "The issue for me is when the title has no bearing on the story, I love Kelly Bowen, but a couple of hers: The Lady in Red (no mention of red clothing of any sort) and [book:I've Got..."

Huh. I haven't read them. That's just ridiculous.

message 27: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Jan130 wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "The issue for me is when the title has no bearing on the story, I love Kelly Bowen, but a couple of hers: The Lady in Red (no mention of red clothing of any sort) a..."

Oh you should try her Jan, she has a beautiful writing style and very witty.

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Loriidae wrote: "Oh you should try her Jan, she has a beautiful writing style and very witty. "

On my to-do list! Or, to-read list LOL. Which one would you recommend I try first?

message 29: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Jan130 wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "Oh you should try her Jan, she has a beautiful writing style and very witty. "

On my to-do list! Or, to-read list LOL. Which one would you recommend I try first?"

Joanna and I both adored her Seasons for Scandal series The first is Duke of My Heart -Yes I know another Duke!

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Ha ha. Thank you. I might try that one.

message 31: by Jan (last edited Jul 21, 2018 04:29PM) (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Oops. Just noticed I bought The Lady in Red The Lady in Red (Season for Scandal, #3.5) by Kelly Bowen back in November and haven't read it yet. LOL It must have been on a sale. Oh well, it's all good, as they say......

Oh - is this one a novella?

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Yes it is a novella, and a pretty decent one but still a novella. It’s a cross dressing one.

Lori idea and I have had fun buddy reading them! The only true miss for me was her latest release. They sometimes can be a bit uneven, but compelling enough to make it fun regardless.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lorien wrote: "Name recognition is like 50% of the game, so when a book can use a well known saying or a play on words from another known work, it'll stick in the readers head better? Catch our eye?

I'm not sup..."

Actually, titles that “pun” on pop culture stuff is a turn off form me. I won’t say I’ll never read them, but I go into the book with bad feelings.

message 34: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Missy wrote: "I've noticed bodice rippers tend have a three words maximum in their titles. lol.

Or they combine two words to form one word (I tried looking up their definitions and couldn't find any, so I assu..."

There must have to be a fire in a bodice-ripper title.

message 35: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Actually, titles that “pun” on pop culture stuff is a turn off form me. I won’t say I’ll never read them, but I go into the book with bad feelings...."
I don't think the point is for us to like them, just get our attention. Remember them. There are so many books out there in the romance market specially with e-books now. Anything a publisher can do to get attention might seem like a good idea to them.
They'll probably stop if it hurt their profit margins.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Lorien,

I’ll concede your point, but im probably not the demographic in terms of age, that the publishers are targeting when they choose these titles.

No shade to young people, but these pop culture punny titles scare me away from the book itself. These titles telegraph to me certain qualities that I try to avoid in HR. However, I’m an outlier, bec apparently this stuff sells. *Sigh*

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Andrea I have similar thoughts to you. I don't think we're outliers, though. We're just a different group/demographic of HR lovers. But hey, publishers, we buy books too. And not becos they have a corny crap title. That's probably the least likely thing to attract me to read/buy a book.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Jan130 wrote: "Andrea I have similar thoughts to you. I don't think we're outliers, though. We're just a different group/demographic of HR lovers. But hey, publishers, we buy books too. And not becos they have a ..."

Jan,

I’ve completely “aged out” of the “desired” demographic for all forms of entertainment.

message 39: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments I am not so sure the primary demographic for historical romance is the very young. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I will not completely rule out a book just based upon the title. I look for friends reviews, the author, and the summary of the story.

message 40: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Mariana wrote: "I am not so sure the primary demographic for historical romance is the very young. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I will not completely rule out a book just based upon the title. I look for friends ..."
Ditto, I read the back, read some reviews (specially from you guys). The name is the last thing I really care about. I'm also a very visual person, so I pay more attention to the covers anyway. Half the book s I've ever read, were for the covers.
@Marianna I just noticed we are the same age.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "I am not so sure the primary demographic for historical romance is the very young. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I will not completely rule out a book just based upon the title. I look for friends ..."

You may be right that the target might not be very young people, but HR books with these titles for me are a “dog whistle” for content that doesn’t agree with me.

message 42: by Loriidae (last edited Jul 22, 2018 03:32PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments This thread is really making me think. Prior to Goodreads I probably only shopped by trusted author and used the library to discover new authors. Of course that was paperbacks so I was always conscious of how much room I had on my shelves.

Now with the advent of Goodreads and ereaders I am more likely to buy a new author dependent on Friends recommendations and reviews. I think the title is pretty much immaterial, I might look at it and shake my head but it probably won't put me off buying assuming my friends have reviewed it or recommended it favorably.

message 43: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2311 comments Lorien wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I am not so sure the primary demographic for historical romance is the very young. Maybe I am wrong. Either way, I will not completely rule out a book just based upon the title. I l..."

I also have chosen many books with success based upon the cover. I never agreed with the saying that you can't judge a book by its cover.

Debby*🐝BabyDee🐝 | 732 comments When I first starting reading, the cover pretty much drew me into wanting to read....then i got hooked a bit on audio and didn't care what the cover looked like. It was who was narrating and how good the story was progressing. Now..GR's and reviews by others are charging my direction a bit on what I want to read and not. Im stuck on HRs but due to reading reviews and getting recommendations on GRs, I've come out of my comfort zone and ventured into other genres. ....Guess I'm a bit slow but as the saying goes..."patience is a virtue". LOL

message 45: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Debby "Piene Raven" wrote: "When I first starting reading, the cover pretty much drew me into wanting to read....then i got hooked a bit on audio and didn't care what the cover looked like. It was who was narrating and how go..."

Yes I would definitely say that appealing covers, not so much the title draw me when searching at the library through paperbacks.

message 46: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 14 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "..I’ve completely “aged out” of the “desired” demographic for all forms of entertainment."

I feel your pain.

message 47: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Mariana wrote: "I also have chosen many books with success based upon the cover. I never agreed with the saying that you can't judge a book by its cover...."

Me too, it's always made me feel a little of a hypocrite... but in an harmless/rebellious way.
I think my order is Cover>Author>Blurb>Reviews>Price (because I'm thrifty, not cheep) > Title.

message 48: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments I just finished a book with a beautiful cover, but the book was pretty lame. Say You Love Me Say You Love Me (Malory-Anderson Family, #5) by Johanna Lindsey
My copy actually had a prettier cover than that. It was a hardback I picked up at an op shop. But the story was too 90s for me. So, the cover first doesn't always work. I did like the title of this one though, and also the way it was referenced during the book. Better than those cr*p recent titles that pun on pop culture.

message 49: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 398 comments Johanna Lindsey writing tends to bore me more than anything.

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 2095 comments Lorien wrote: "Johanna Lindsey writing tends to bore me more than anything."

Yep, me too, pretty much in the two of hers I've read.

« previous 1