Play Book Tag discussion

Red Clocks
This topic is about Red Clocks
July 2018: Dystopian > Red Clocks - Leni Zumas - 5 stars - July Decathalon & Listopia

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments As soon as I saw that dystopia was a possibility I had Red Clocks at the forefront of my mind as I had seen it reviewed and felt as though it would really float my boat, and that it did. I'll hold off on a summary as many of us are reading the book this month so it has been done more than once already.

I loved this book. I found the writing style to be remarkably effective, the story to be nuanced and deeply thought provoking, and was left feeling highly satisfied. Although Red Clocks is a experiment in what it would be like if abortion were made illegal, Zumas manages to cleverly weave multiple feminist themes though her narrative, and we all know I love a good femenist theme. Each character provided us with the ability to look at the treatment of women at a different angle, both in the past and in the present. I appreciated all of the characters equally as I felt that they all brought something different to the table, and although I have seen criticisms based on a lack of emotional connection, I felt that this was intentional. I think Zumas is a very skilled and clever writer, and I'm really looking forward to what she produces in the future. If it is anything like Red Clocks then I am in for a treat.

On another note, can we talk about the cover? So apt!

message 2: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1237 comments There’s one person ahead of me on my library waitlist. Wish they’d read faster!