Play Book Tag discussion

Little Brother (Little Brother, #1)
This topic is about Little Brother
July 2018: Dystopian > Little Brother - Cory Doctorow (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1453 comments Little Brother - Cory Doctorow

4 stars

Little Brother is a young adult dystopian novel. Marcus is a high school student living in San Francisco when terrorists bomb the Bay Bridge killing thousands. The Department of Homeland Security swoops in and soon people are willing to waive their rights in the name of security. After he and his friends are arrested and interrogated for being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Marcus decides they must fight back against DHS in order to get back their country.

As I listened to this on a recent road trip, I felt like it was hitting a little close to home. I easily see how one major attack would result in the suspension of our rights and how most people would willingly give them up. In fact, I felt like some of what was described in the book are probably already happening. It sure made me think about my personal privacy in ways I haven't in the past.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Oh, personal privacy. I am pretty sure I have mentioned here that I just took a privacy class at law school this past spring. And, what did I learn? That it is freaking creepy how much we are monitored everyday and the types of information corporations have on us!

I think I will avoid this one only because I am still traumatized by all of the things I learned in that class.

message 3: by KateNZ (new) - added it

KateNZ | 2666 comments Welcome to my professional world, Nicole! My legal practice is entirely in privacy, and I am a wholehearted geek about it. But there are times I wish I’d picked something that caused less loss of sleep ...

Love this book, and yes it’s all too plausible. I heard Cory Doctorow speak a few months ago at a seminar organised by our Privacy Commissioner - he’s an original thinker and very engaging. He blogs a lot as well as the novel writing if you’re interested