Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New Beta Reader available for psychological thriller, crime, mystery, and fantasy manuscripts

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Fran (new)

Fran (frankeesaysrelax) | 2 comments Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up my own freelance novel editing business, and I want all the experience I can possibly get. I have done some beta reading in the past as well as a few read and review projects with AuthorsXP.com

I read constantly and write quite a bit (though not nearly as much as I should) and I have a journalism BA, so I'm more than familiar with the dreaded copy-edit.

I will apply the same level of professionalism to a free beta read as I would to a paid read, and will address plot, pacing, structure, or characterisation issues that may arise within a manuscript.

Any deadline is dependent on the length of the book, and whether or not it is a heavy read.

If you're interested, leave your email address, synopsis, and word count, and I will get back to you if we seem a good fit.

Thanks,

Fran

message 2: by Eduardo (last edited Jul 12, 2018 02:47PM) (new)

Eduardo Hormazabal Espinoza | 17 comments Hi, if you're still doing this, I would love if you took a look at my project.

My e-mail is ehormazabalwrites@gmail.com

Here are some details about the story.

Mystery finished at 99k words

Blurb:

"An inexplicable murder hits the small port town of Feshizvenn. A doctor is found dead and in a state of extreme decay, nothing but bones with a thin layer of muscle and skin to dress them.

But she was seen alive the day before. How is this possible?

In the middle of it, is Andrew Zivos, a twenty-five-year-old medicine dropout who had moved to Feshizvenn with his sister and their dog in hopes to escape their father’s recrimination and his own self-disappointment for failing his training as a medic.

History between the dead doctor and Andrew makes the local police point at him as the main suspect. Now, Andrew is forced to dive deep into a mystery he’s not prepared to solve, and which hides not only multiple layers of deception, but also more danger than he initially thought.

Going to jail is the least of his problems, and what he’s about to find will shake not only Feshizvenn, but the whole country."

Warning: Contains strong language, violence, and (despite the title) blood.

Let me know if you're interested.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Paterson Hello!
I have a YA fantasy that's 50k words. You can email me at spaterson0915@gmail.com

Here's the blurb:

Nineteen year old Ryder Hood has always wanted to change the world he lives in. The world, ruled by a corrupt President and a power-mad General, is in favor of the rich. He and his merry group of foster siblings form a group to rob the rich to give to the people of their shantytown, Sherwood. Eighteen year old Madelyn Notting, the daughter of the head of the army, has always felt out of place in her high society world. With a desire to help the less fortunate, she joins the resistance movement, the Underground. Can Ryder and Madelyn move past their differences to defeat the General and free the people from tyranny?

Hope it's a good fit!

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 3 comments Hi Fran,

I wanted to send you the blurb to my completed romantic fantasy book (88k words), in case you are interested. Please let me know if you want to connect!

What to do when your brother gets abducted by demons and you need to strike a deal with a hot archangel who is so arrogant it makes your blood boil?

Aura loves her easy life in Oxford, working in a gorgeous café, surrounded by the aroma of chocolate and cookies, with the greatest boss alive. In comes Raphael – archangel, asshole and arrogance personified. Turns out Aura is key to the future of our world. Turns out she may be the only chance her brother has to get out of this alive. Will she discover her powers in time? Will Raphael be able to hold back from strangling her before that time comes?

Dig into this fast-paced, witty and sometimes heated fantasy novel! Steamy scenes and mild cursing included. (88+k words)

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 3 comments Sorry, forgot to add: my e-mail address is ebracquine@gmail.com

message 6: by Stephan (new)

Stephan Hahn | 14 comments Hey,

This is my first novel coming in at around 73k words. I hope this is something that interests you!

stephanjhahn@outlook.com

Estolas, heir to the throne is realizing that many of the strange things happening in the Kingdom of Delborish seem to be connected to the legend of the Pearls of Solus. The fabled pearls are said to give ultimate power to the one who unites them. After the disappearance of his father, eleven years earlier, the questions he begins to ask, begin to bring about answers he may not be ready for.

As his journey becomes intertwined with that of a nymph, an elf, and a wolf, all searching for their own place in the world, their ability to work together becomes crucial to their success in finding the pearls.

Unfortunately they are not the only one looking for them.

message 7: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Meredith (dennismeredith) Good morning Fran,

I hope you are still taking requests. Our complete manuscript is about 95,000 words. It is available in Kindle. This is our newest and seventh novel, it is a scifi/fantasy. You can read about the author Dennis Meredith at http://dennismeredith.com/mythicals_4...

and specifically Mythicals at http://dennismeredith.com/mythicals_4...

Fairies, pixies, trolls, werewolves, ogres, goblins . . .

They’re aliens, living in disguise among the "natives"!

. . . vampires, leprechauns, mermaids . . .

For thousands of years this planet has been a penal colony for their races.

. . . demons, angels, elves, gnomes, Sasquatch . . .

But now, they’ve decided the planet's inhabitants are a “terminal species,” and it’s time to end them!

(Well, actually, it’s mainly the werewolves. The fairies and pixies mostly think the native creatures are worth saving. The vampires and leprechauns are undecided.)

Thanks you for your consideration,
Joanne Meredith
you can email me at editor@glyphus.com

message 8: by B (new)

B P Baggett (bpbaggett) | 107 comments Hello,
I was thinking not very many of you know who I am. Well, my name is Ben.P.Baggett I am a fantasy published author. I have 5 books written and one up on Amazon. My fifth book is Ivar: Blood&Steel. This one will be up soon and I could not be more excited about this.
Ivar: Blood and Steel follows a young Prince that is thusted into an age old conflict. His father and home are destroyed leaving him, his mother and his older sister stuck in the world alone.
He is captured by the enemy and is forced into a labor military camp under the nose of the leaders. There he learns the ways of war and how to be a killer. He loves it.
This story will give the fans an idea of who this man is. It's bloody and dark with lots of turns in the story. It also gives the reader an idea of the world Ivar lives in.
Hopefully this passage let's you know who I am and what I do. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me here or on FB page

message 9: by Dakota (new)

Dakota Canon (Dakota_Canon) | 3 comments Hi Fran,

If you're still taking requests, I would love to have your take on my book!

overview: The Unmaking of Eden, ~100K
Upmarket fiction with mystery, suspense, thriller and speculative elements.

blurb: A young girl and her toddler sister escape from a cult-like religious commune in upper North Dakota under suspicious circumstances that leave a man dead. Wanted by the police, with no money or support system, the girl hides out in plain sight: in a public high school.

When initial examination of the dead man’s body points to an overdose in a new, highly-regulated drug, the drug company’s founder-and-CEO comes on the scene to seek answers. But when he finds a frightened and wanted fugitive hiding secrets beyond his imagination, what will he do?

Notes: This book reached the semifinals in the AUTHORS.me Novel Contest and was just longlisted in the Hastings Litfest Crooked Cat Crime Novel Contest. It is the first of a two part series.

email: mycambria@yahoo.com

Thank you so much!! :-)

Dakota

message 10: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Saw you were looking for works to read. Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Reeves | 10 comments Hello!

My name is Sarah, and I noticed your post on the beta readers forum and decided to message you. I've got a 1st draft manuscript that is roughly over 100,000 words. I'm really trying to cut back on the word count, as it is a length document. In terms of genre, it is mostly a fantasy but with some sci-fi elements, as well as romance and adventure. My synopsis is VERY rough, but I worked to try and put it together. I guess for right now, I'm looking for constructive criticism especially for the global aspects of my story like characterization, plot structure, and language. I'll go ahead and post my synopsis below (I'm so sorry if it seems messy because it is).

If you are interested, feel free to email me at sarahreeves024@gmail.com. If not, I appreciate you taking the time to read this.

#

In a far off land, the balance of mankind is tipping off the edge. Whispers about a man who has become a god seeks to connect all the realms through conquest. A fallen angel named Caspian whose sole purpose was once to protect the balance of the universe seeks one powerful enough to stop this so-called god. His hero is Shay Badcocke, a 23 year-old woman who prefers solitude. As remarkable reputation she already has, being a bestselling female writer in a world where that is not common, she joins Caspian in the quest to preserve the balance of the planet. But she has a lot to learn. During her rigorous training, to the south, in the Liath Isles, a brute of a king has chosen his bride who comes to find that he is a monster of a man and no fit to be king. Westward, a girl whose life is filled with betrayal finds refuge in Norwich Keep with one of the realm’s most feared clans. All the while, war is seething over the right to govern man. Off in the treacherous mountains where most dare not to travel, an army waits for religious conquest, to claim the world rightfully theirs, as the chosen people of their living god. Lastly, a warlock named Zakhar is a wandering traveler with no destination but a clear purpose in mind: to kill a certain man. To accomplish this, he will stop at nothing.

With a story of narratives long forgotten, characters striving to fight and overcome their oppressors, and a search for one’s own purpose in life, the lives of many are threatened. Voices that once were silenced must strive to be heard in order to keep the balance of mankind from being truly desecrated.

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra | 2 comments Hello Fran:

I welcome your feedback on my novel.

Hooked on Murder, an 89,000 word police procedural mystery set on Canada’s rugged and remote west coast, takes on the highly controversial topic of fish farming.

When the body of a fish farmer is found floating in an Ocean Bounty fish pen with a gaff hook planted firmly in his back, Corporal Zoe Andrews and Constable Mark Connors of the Port Douglas RCMP set out to catch a killer. Andrews is a newcomer to town, trying to escape a failed relationship, while Connors. a First Nations officer who grew up in the community, wants to save his marriage.

As the two begin to investigate the murder it becomes clear that area residents are deeply divided when it comes to the benefits and dangers of the multi-billion dollar fish farm industry. Some appreciate the jobs it provides in a sagging economy, but others point to the environmental damage the industry causes to plants and animals that make the ocean their home.

Angry environmentalists protesting the renewal of the companies license, become obvious suspects in the brutal killing. With tempers running high, a second employee is killed in an explosion while fueling her boat in Port Douglas. The search for a killer and the eventual discovery of the murderer and their motive reveal the dangers of a world hooked on fish.

Thanks for your consideration.
Debra
debrahenry@pacificcoast.net

message 13: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mutinytrev) | 4 comments Hey Fran,

I would LOVE to have your input!

Rauour and the History of the Nordlands is a ~3,000 word short story set in the early days of the world known as Reikea.

In this tale, our Red Dragon is born and grows to adulthood while struggling to find others in a barren world. As he searches, he finds the world itself seems to want him gone, and what little companionship he is able to find never lasts.

When he reaches certain points in his life, Rauour goes to into a very long and deep sleep while his body changes. This happens twice: once from infant dragon-ling to adolescent, and again to an adult. This results is one time friends being long gone when he emerges. Each change does come with great power, and Rauour often finds himself using that power to defend himself against a hateful world.

The story ends with our main character isolated, plotting ways to make the new people of the land accept him as their ancestors did.

Thank you for your consideration,
Trevor
tcampbell1980@gmail.com

message 14: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Combs | 28 comments I am looking for a beta for my approximately 50k word novel. You need to have a Gmail account, as I use Google Drive for everything.

General Synopsis: A photographer visits a lonely town to take photos for a client. He encounters many different people while there, but doesn't take anyone's life too seriously. As the novel progresses, the readers and the photographer learn about their lives and what lies beyond the mask. There is also a little bit of a mystery surrounding the town's history and some of the character's pasts.

You can email me at briannacombs.author@gmail.com if you are interested! I don't have any deadlines, so don't feel pressure on that end. Thank you!

message 15: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 57 comments Fran wrote: "Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up my own freelance novel editing business, and I want all the experience I can possibly get. I have done some beta reading in the past as well as a few read..."

Hi Fran,

Would you be interested in providing feedback on the first few chapters of a mystery novel?

message 16: by Nikki (new)

Nikki | 57 comments Eduardo wrote: "Hi, if you're still doing this, I would love if you took a look at my project.

My e-mail is ehormazabalwrites@gmail.com

Here are some details about the story.

Mystery finished at 99k words

Blur..."

Would you be interested in doing a swap? I have a mystery novel about a woman investigating her sister's death.

message 17: by Eduardo (new)

Eduardo Hormazabal Espinoza | 17 comments Hi nikki. I just pm'd you

message 18: by Teddy (new)

Teddy Swanson Ramirez | 7 comments Hello

Here is my blurb. Book is approximately 120,000 words, but it's an easy read. More like Grisham than Faulkner. Not a lot of fluff, just story.

When Human Trafficking Detective Stacy Manafort gets a phone call about a dead body on the Figueroa track, she immediately suspects the handiwork of local pimp Darius Jones.

Take a journey into the back alleys of the grimiest streets in Los Angeles where the deepest desires of men are satisfied, through the toughest LAPD stations as law enforcement work to stop Jones, and into the LA County Superior Courts as District Attorney Jimmy Sweeney looks to prosecute Jones to the fullest extent of the law. Written by an industry insider who has spent years in the fight against human trafficking, “And the Porch Light Stays On” brings immersive, nail-biting adventure where the twists and turns come non-stop, the message is raw, and the characters are deep and nuanced.

If it sounds interesting, please email me at theodorehswanson@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Ted