Librarian Book Club discussion

Protecting Patron Privacy: Safe Practices for Public Computers
This topic is about Protecting Patron Privacy
18 Protecting Patron Privacy > First thoughts about this book

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sonnet (sonnetireland) | 64 comments Mod
What are your thoughts on this topic? What are your biggest concerns with patron privacy in YOUR library?

message 2: by Stephie (new)

Stephie My biggest concern at the moment is student workers that have access to fellow students library records. We don't have social numbers but there are addresses, emails, and phone numbers.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 11 comments Stephanie wrote: "My biggest concern at the moment is student workers that have access to fellow students library records. We don't have social numbers but there are addresses, emails, and phone numbers."

It's definitely an issue. Part of our training is that the only immediatly fireable offense is violating our privacy/confidentiality policies. Luckily, it's an issue that has yet to come up! The student workers have all taken us seriously.

Sonnet (sonnetireland) | 64 comments Mod
That can also be an issue with regular staff. Ideally, everybody who works in a library should know how important privacy/confidentiality is. Yet, throughout my career, I've seen instances of staff making comments that violate that. I think that's why it's so important to come up with concrete examples of why that privacy is important. You may not see the harm in telling a patron something mundane over the phone, but you also don't know if they are in an abusive/controlling relationship...you may be telling their partner something that is the difference between life and death for the patron without realizing it.