Support for Indie Authors discussion

Marketing Tactics > In the marketing doldrums.

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Rudd | 8 comments Hello, I've been having a look over some of the topics here and wanted to post asking for any ideas or advice on marketing tactics.

I'm UK based and publish my own work as well as novels by my father. I also own the rights to my grandfather's novels and have started to re-publish those too.

I use a publishing service to handle the actual book production and distribution and have so far released a title by each author, both in paperback and on Kindle.

While reader response to the books has been very positive I'm struggling (as a one man show, if you will) to gain the impact and market response needed to keep going.

I handle all the marketing myself but admit to knowing little about marketing strategies and can't afford to outsource. The free marketing I have done, mostly on social media, is usually well received, in particular on Instagram, but it is not being converted into sales.

I've tried approaching local bookstores to see if they would be interested in stocking any of the titles (I have made them available to order wholesale), but on the whole have found the retailers to be frosty at best, on occasion down right rude.

I've had a couple of articles in the local press and radio interviews, but I am finding it hard going.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, please feel free to PM me if that is more appropriate given the rules of the board.

Thanks.

message 2: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments Just off the top, of the two books I saw on Amazon, compelling/interesting covers would help; something that encourages the reader to have a read inside. Second there is not enough material, meaning write more books. And, if someone comes along and is ready to market to the moon without those changes, be skeptical.

message 3: by J.M. (new)

J.M. Rankin (jmrankin) | 17 comments Hi Max, I would second what M.L. says about the covers. When it comes to selling books, most people really do judge a book by its cover, which means it has to look professional and be the kind of book you would see in a bookstore. Many self-published novels can be identified purely on the cover images, and this can often turn readers away. The cover should grab the attention and make the reader want to at least read the blurb, then maybe an extract before they decide to buy. If you can't attract that initial attention then it won't translate into sales. Book covers can be tricky to get right, but it can also be immensely satisfying and doesn't have to be outsourced or cost the earth if you're willing to give up the time to get them right.

message 4: by Noor (new)

Noor Al-Shanti | 148 comments I agree about the covers. I also noticed that several of your books are short stories or novellas. I've discovered over the past couple of years that those are VERY difficult to market. People don't seem to want short fiction as much. There's a thread in this group about how difficult it is to sell short stories.

message 5: by Max (new)

Max Rudd | 8 comments Noor wrote: "I agree about the covers. I also noticed that several of your books are short stories or novellas. I've discovered over the past couple of years that those are VERY difficult to market. People don'..."

Thanks Noor (and hello). The novella/shorts aren't the ones I'm really worried about. They are only on one site atm, and are on there for free, just to give people an idea of what I do.

That said I do enjoy writing, and reading, short fiction. I am aware that they can be a chore to peddle, which is why I'm trying to balance that out with the longer works by my father and grandfather.

message 6: by Max (new)

Max Rudd | 8 comments Hi M.L. and J.M.

Thanks for replying (you too Noor).

You're right, some of the short stuff I've done does have lack lustre cover design, but as I've mentioned in in my response to Noor; it's primarily the novels by my father and grandfather, that are my main concern.

If these are the titles you're referring to then I apologise for any crossed wires.

message 7: by M.L. (new)

M.L. | 1126 comments If this is one of novels you are thinking of, The Refugees From Daffodil Cottage, it's really charming and it's animals but the cover is more like a grid map. A reviewer compared it to Animal Farm, but from the pages I read it seems more similar to Watership Down. The illustrator Pocock has a book The Fantasy Artroom and that cover is, in my opinion, the direction to go as far as covers. Or even more so, the mass market paperback for Watership Down.

Of course if this isn't the book, then forget the above--and since I only read a few pages, it may well be more Animal Farm, but I didn't get that vibe.

If all the books you are now editing, are similar, or even close, I would make the covers similar.

For marketing in general, there are posts in SIA with free places so that would be one way to go.

I hope that helps. It sounds like a very charming book, nice writing, the kind of writing that encourages me to keep reading. I enjoyed what I read, but, and this is just me, I wouldn't buy it with the present cover.

message 8: by Max (new)

Max Rudd | 8 comments M.L. wrote: "If this is one of novels you are thinking of, The Refugees From Daffodil Cottage, it's really charming and it's animals but the cover is more like a grid map. A reviewer compared it to Animal Farm,..."

Thanks again M.L. have been busy and no time to reply before now.

Daffodil Cottage is one of the books I was referring to, and thank you, I know my dad would have appreciated it.

Any comparison to Animal Farm is never a bad thing, but you're right it is closer to Watership Down. I've always felt it sits in a middle ground between W.D and The Animals of Farthing Wood, personally.

I do find it interesting that covers could make such a difference. A books cover to me is not of high importance compared to the content. But I will take that under advisement, although it would end up costing me as it would mean commissioning a new cover, shifting my existing stock, paying for a new print run and assigning new ISBN's etc.

That said, approaching Aaron about doing a new cover is a good idea, thanks.

I will have a look at the marketing thread in SIA too.

message 9: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 787 comments Hi Max,
First off I commend you for not only focusing on your books but your father's and grandfather's as well, that cannot be easy. As one man with numerous works I know how you feel when it comes to marketing, I know a few things but find it difficult at times or simply can't apply it to my own works and make it work for me. I would definitely suggest try building on an email list, find and connect with your audience and be active on social media(which ever ones you use). Those are just a few simple tips people give me all the time.

If your active on Twitter there's a Twitter chat I take part in called Book Marketing Chat where every Wednesday at 9est time we discuss the topic at hand of how to better market our books.

Hope that helps, feel free to PM me if you want to know more or talk .

message 10: by Max (new)

Max Rudd | 8 comments Justin wrote: "Hi Max,
First off I commend you for not only focusing on your books but your father's and grandfather's as well, that cannot be easy. As one man with numerous works I know how you feel when it come..."

Many thanks Justin. I'll be in touch in the next few days. :)