Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Similars by Rebecca Hanover

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments 2.5 stars
The Similars was one of the featured YA books at the YA editor's buzz panel. It's mostly set in an elite private school called the Darkwood Academy. The protagonist is a young woman whose best friend Oliver died over the summer and she is returning to school the following fall after finding her friend dead.

Human cloning is a thing in this world, although a source of controversy. Six students of Darkwood were cloned and their clones are invited to attend the school. The introduction of these clones, called the similar, into the school is the premise of the book.

I was remarkably unimpressed with this book considering it was a "buzz worthy book." It was VERY predictable and dramatic with all the clichés of YA books. The premise was interesting and it was a quick read but unfortunately so predictable that it was annoying. I basically predicted the big twists 100s of pages before they happened. There are mean girls, plenty of teenage drama, a romance you can see from a mile away, and a twist that would only be surprising if you hadn't been paying any attention.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I saw that you were reading this and considered adding it but thought I’d wait for your review. I’m glad I didn’t!