SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Storm of Locusts (The Sixth World, #2)
This topic is about Storm of Locusts
What Else Are You Reading? > Series: The Sixth World by Rebecca Roanhorse ("Trail of Lightning")

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (last edited Jun 05, 2019 05:12AM) (new)

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
Continuing the buddy read of Trail of Lightning, we will be starting Storm of Locusts! Please reference the chapter you're on and use spoiler tags.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Jul 19, 2018 07:30AM) (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Just received notification this is ready to pick up at the library! I'll be starting soon.

message 3: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Just finished chapter one. First impressions: I’m really enjoying the tone and the writing. Some of the words are really difficult, sort of wish a glossary or something had been included.

message 4: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments So content warnings page 11: (view spoiler)

message 5: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Thanks, Sarah!! Good to know :)

message 6: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "So content warnings page 11: [spoilers removed]"

Thanks, Sarah! I'm starting this today, and I REALLY appreciate having a heads up for stressful content.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Happy to help. After progressing a little further (regarding the content warning) (view spoiler)

Additional content warning also Chapter 2/3: (view spoiler)

message 8: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yikes. Sarah, I can start this tomorrow if you need a quick breather/forewarning. Otherwise, thanks for the heads up on both :)

message 9: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments I picked this book up and then found this thread. Hope to start reading soonish.

message 10: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Glad you could join, Katy!

message 11: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Ooh, I just recently got this book from the library and haven't gotten around to starting it. Having some folks to discuss it with will be good incentive to pick it up!

@Sarah: Thanks for the warnings, that's a really helpful thing to be able to be aware.

message 12: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Thanks Allison! I’m actually doing okay. The one scene was a little tough but (view spoiler)

message 13: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Up to chapter 15: (view spoiler)

message 14: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments End of Chapter 26: (view spoiler)

message 15: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments I started this yesterday and it's pretty fun! Through Ch. 7. Glad I'm doing the e-book vs. audio or hard copy, it's nice to be able to look up all the Navajo (Diné) words.

message 16: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Ariana wrote: "I started this yesterday and it's pretty fun! Through Ch. 7. Glad I'm doing the e-book vs. audio or hard copy, it's nice to be able to look up all the Navajo (Diné) words."

That’s cool- does Kindle actually define them? I was stumbling hard over pronunciations and such.

message 17: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "That’s cool- does Kindle actually define them? "

No, only a few are in the Kindle dictionary, but it's pretty easy to highlight and do a web search, and there's a few Navajo/Diné online dictionaries that show up. No idea how to pronounce them, though.

message 18: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Aw bummer. Still - that’s a leg up on me. I had no idea what mist of them meant.

message 19: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

2 chapters in, and agreed, that's pretty dark!

I'm sort of jolted with the voice, too. I just finished a book that was very lyrical and had what felt like true voices and now I'm hoping that "generic YA bitter heroine voice" resolves into something more unique.

I'm liking all the words and bits of the world so far, though!

message 20: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Allison wrote: ... "generic YA bitter heroine voice"...

I've been enjoying this so far, but that aspect is starting to grate a bit. I'm through Ch. 18.

message 21: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Ariana wrote: "Allison wrote: ... "generic YA bitter heroine voice"...

I've been enjoying this so far, but that aspect is starting to grate a bit. I'm through Ch. 18."

siiiiiiiighh

message 22: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments Picked it up and started last night. I had to make myself go to bed. This is a great new voice for me.

message 23: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Allison wrote: "Ariana wrote: "Allison wrote: ... "generic YA bitter heroine voice"...

I've been enjoying this so far, but that aspect is starting to grate a bit. I'm through Ch. 18."

siiiiiiiighh"

At least we haven't heard that "she's not like other girls" I don't think. We're just supposed to infer it. (Sorry, maybe I'm still traumatized by A Gathering of Shadows in this regard.)

message 24: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Yeah, I am a little salty from Graceling, I think. (Note, I love that people love these books and see the appeal, I've just eaten too many sweets now and can't have them as often anymore.)

message 25: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments The YAness of it got to me too after a bit, but there were still things to enjoy about the book. Hopefully you all can find something to like about it too. And at the very least, it’s a short quick read.

message 26: by Katy (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 120 comments Allison wrote: "...I've just eaten too many sweets now and can't have them as often anymore.) ..."

True, I can see your point. For me however, I am coming from reading some pretty big nonfiction books, so perfect timing for me.

message 27: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Wonderful!! I know some folks have loved this, so I'm really looking forward to the mystery and the world :)

message 28: by Kristin B. (new)

Kristin B. Bodreau (krissy22247) | 719 comments Finished this today, so spoilers through to the end.

(view spoiler)

message 29: by Sarah (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:02AM) (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Kristin B. wrote: "Finished this today, so spoilers through to the end.

I agree with Sarah on two very big points. a glossary would have been SUPER helpful. Several times Maggie is referred to as Chinibaa (I don't k..."

Thanks for sharing that definition Kristin! I had no idea throughout.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Can someone help me please? I'm on Chapter 4

(view spoiler)

message 31: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "Can someone help me please? I'm on Chapter 4

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Trike Just wondering if anyone has read the Leaphorn & Chee mysteries by Tony Hillerman. Based on what you’re all saying, this book sounds like the supernatural version of those books set on the Navajo reservation in Arizona/New Mexico. I highly recommend those novels.

BTW, LeVar Burton read Roanhouse’s short story “Welcome to Your Authentic Indian Experience” for his podcast. Episode 25: http://www.levarburtonpodcast.com/

message 33: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Oh, cool, thanks for the recos, Trike!

@Sarah, thanks. I think that kills it for me. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Allison wrote: "Oh, cool, thanks for the recos, Trike!

@Sarah, thanks. I think that kills it for me. [spoilers removed]"

Yeah maybe try again another time? Not really spoilerish but just in case: (view spoiler)

Come join me in the Certain Dark Things buddy read! I’m just starting.

message 35: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

That's a good way of putting it, Sarah. And yeah, maybe give myself some time before trying again. By Jove, I think I will join you!

message 36: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments Allison wrote: "(view spoiler)"

(view spoiler)

That said, I'm still really enjoying this. I do wish it was less "YA-ish," as mentioned above, (view spoiler) Maybe I'm just in a forgiving mood lately? Almost done!

Sarah wrote: "I think she could have used a better editor."

Yes exactly.

message 37: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 657 comments So I finished a few days ago, and I think I'm with the consensus on this one: fairly fun and enjoyable despite (view spoiler)

About the ending: (view spoiler)

message 38: by Kaa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Okay, I sort of wish I'd opened this thread again before picking up the book, because I'd forgotten about some of the early warnings. Ch 2: (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments I'm about 75% of the way through this and I'm enjoying it. One question I had, however, sprang up in Chapter 9 (view spoiler)

Trike Christopher wrote: "I'm about 75% of the way through this and I'm enjoying it. One question I had, however, sprang up in Chapter 9 [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, it sort of felt like a combination of (view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments For folks joining the "Storm of Locusts" buddy read, note the chapter and use spoiler tags please.

I'm at the start of Chapter 9 (~12% in) and (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments I'm on Chapter 15, took me awhile to remember all the details of how everything left off in book one, but then it just started rolling along. I find this a nice, easy read so far and I mean that in a good way, perfect for kicking back and going along on the adventure. (view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments I agree, this is an easy read and I'm enjoying the ride.

Response to spoiler/ end of Chapter 14 (view spoiler)

Through chapter 20 (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments Just finished Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments I agree, (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments I'm up to Chapter 29 (view spoiler)

Meredith | 1352 comments Christopher wrote: "I'm up to Chapter 29 [spoilers removed]"

Agreed, (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments Yeah and (view spoiler)

Christopher | 899 comments Finished. Overall it lived up to my expectations and I think it was probably better than the first. Will definitely finish the series.

Meredith | 1352 comments I will definitely continue the series, I am really enjoying the world Roanhorse has created. I liked this one though slightly less than the first (view spoiler)

« previous 1