Play Book Tag discussion

On the Edge of Gone
This topic is about On the Edge of Gone
July 2018: Dystopian > On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis (5 out of 5 Stars) (Decathlon Catch-Up)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments On the Edge of Gone by Corinne Duyvis
5 out of 5 Stars

Then a last-minute encounter leads them to something better than a temporary shelter: a generation ship that’s scheduled to leave Earth behind and colonize new worlds after the comet hits. But each passenger must have a practical skill to contribute. Denise is autistic and fears that she’ll never be allowed to stay. Can she obtain a spot before the ship takes flight? What about her mother and sister?

The Positives of On the Edge of Gone
It seems as though the book world is flooded with dystopian novels, and for the most part they follow a similar script. Because of this, I was very tentative about reading this novel but the combination of a unique character and a different view of how humanity would handle a dystopian situation made this novel much more intriguing.

The main character in the book, Denise, is a teenager with autism that must not only deal with the difficulties of her everyday life (defending a transgender sister and a drug addict mother) but also with a disaster that has destroyed everything she knows. The idea of a main character with autism in a dystopian novel is unique, but in this particular case it is extremely effective as author Corinne Duyvis was diagnosed with autism herself in 2004. Because of her own experiences, the descriptions of Denise and how she copes with the situations she faces feel very authentic and add great detail to the book. This unique aspect of the novel was a major reason I gave the novel five stars.

My other reason for rating this novel highly was the author's choice to highlight the positives of how humanity might react to a dystopian situation. In most dystopian novels the only thing the reader sees is that humanity would continue to destroy one another and be there own worst enemy. I was pleasantly surprised that Duyvis did not fall into this trap and instead focused on hope.

The Negatives of On the Edge of Gone
I honestly don't have any negatives with this book. The plot moved along at a great pace, the writing was clean and well crafted, the characters were unique but wonderfully written. I normally have something about a book that is not as solid, but this book was an overall hit.

message 2: by Hebah (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Oh, this one sounds *good.* The unique viewpoint and sense of hope make this a want-to-read for me. Onto Mt. TBR it goes.

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments And my library has it! Thanks, JW.