YA Addicted Book Club discussion

Archive > Quarterly Challenges

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Kayleigh {K-Books} (kayley_12) | 1942 comments Mod
Hi All,
After asking for some opinions a lot of you said that you would like to see some challenges in the group. After speaking to my fellow moderators we agreed that unfortunately we don't have time to do monthly challenges. The thing that we can manage is quarterly challenges. We will be starting our first quarterly challenge in October (sorry guys, I didn't have time to sort one out for this quarter). So what I want from you is to tell me what sort of challenges do you want to see? Do you have any suggestion of themes etc? Let me know.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Hi All,
After asking for some opinions a lot of you said that you would like to see some challenges in the group. After speaking to my fellow moderators we agreed that unfortunately we don't have t..."

Just an idea...since it will be October thru December...how about a TBR challenge? A race to get as many TBR books as you can off your list before the end of the year.

message 3: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

That's a fantastic idea Heather. I'm also looking for recommendations for other ones through next year as well.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments ummmm??? We could do the most series or genres like fantasy, romance, contemporary, sci fi, etc.

We could even go to the most pages! That way we will have a reason to read those mega scary huge books that we have been putting off... (mine would be The Host!...just sayin...that book scares me because it is HUGE)

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments or.... The most books released from a certain year. For example... books released in 2016.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Sorry! The ideas just started pouring out of me.... lol!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Ooh! Ooh! Finish as many series as you can challenge!

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Anyone else?? LOL!!

message 9: by Joanna (new)

Joanna (skavansieur) I agree with a genre challenge! With a list of books included! We can read as many books from a certain genre and if we aren't familiar with that genre or which books to read, we can have a list to choose from! After that we can share our opinions about it too

message 10: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Thanks for the ideas. I'm gonna keep the thread open until end of september and then start planning it for october

message 11: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments i love the series challenge... but i'm a series addict and very seldom read stand alone books. I hate that by the time i feel like i'm really connecting with a character, the story ends. i need more! so i read series lol

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Keiria wrote: "i love the series challenge... but i'm a series addict and very seldom read stand alone books. I hate that by the time i feel like i'm really connecting with a character, the story ends. i need mor..."

Maybe we need to have a stand alone challenge???

message 13: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (last edited Jul 11, 2018 08:19AM) (new)

I would epically fail at that. I don't really like standalones as I always want more.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "I would epically fail at that. I don't really like standalones as I always want more."

ME TOO! That is why it would be such an awesome challenge for us:)

message 15: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

It would... but I still probably wouldn't read any haha. If I force myself to read books I don't want to I end up in a reading rut. Plus, I don't buy stand alone books and my challenges are to help me get my TBR down, not add to it haha. I will do it one quarter, but probably wouldn't take part in it.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "It would... but I still probably wouldn't read any haha. If I force myself to read books I don't want to I end up in a reading rut. Plus, I don't buy stand alone books and my challenges are to help..."

I hear ya on the TBR. Do you still do Netgalley November???

message 17: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (last edited Jul 11, 2018 08:44AM) (new)

Sometimes. I don't really request them anymore. I found when I had more review books I just got in a reading rut. Now I just want to read the books I want so if I have a few I do but I'm just enjoying reading whatever I want. I've been happier since doing that. My exception is that I get JLA's for review and those I read immediately lol.

At one point I thought about having themed months but I'm such a mood reader I know that wouldn't work for me.

message 18: by Keiria (new)

Keiria (kwegmann) | 101 comments well we could combine a few challenges... series/most # of pages/Genre...

message 19: by Liliana, YA Paranormal Lover (new)

Liliana (lililostinabook) | 2328 comments Mod
You guys took all the good ideas. I'm kidding 😉 I really do like all the suggestions though. Especially a tbr challenge this first month. I desperately need that! Lol

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "Sometimes. I don't really request them anymore. I found when I had more review books I just got in a reading rut. Now I just want to read the books I want so if I have a few I do but I'm just enjoy..."

I NEED TO GET ON HER LIST:) I feel like I have fallen out of touch with my JLA obsession and have to get back to reading her books. I know that there are some that I haven't read yet...not sure how many though?

message 21: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

She only opens it once a year and she only recently did it so won't be till next spring/summer I think.

heather - NightlyReading (heatherhy01) | 1001 comments Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "She only opens it once a year and she only recently did it so won't be till next spring/summer I think."

aw man! I wish I would have known. How do you find out when she opens?

message 23: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4910 comments Mod
tbr challenges are always good.

So are things like book bingo (even though I kind of fail at it) where you have to read books that meet certain requirements. That way could get people reading things they typically put off. For example those 500+ books, read a standalone, put some genre specific ones and anything else really.

series challenges are good but at least for me they work better for a longer period, I rarely binge a series usually puts me in a rut.

Themed challenges are fun. But I understand the being a mood reader problem.

Also if you ever need help running challenges let me know I can help out.

message 24: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

heather wrote: "Kayleigh {K-Books} wrote: "She only opens it once a year and she only recently did it so won't be till next spring/summer I think."

aw man! I wish I would have known. How do you find out when she ..."

She emailed the people already in it and then puts it in her Facebook group JLAnders. I’ll let you know.

message 25: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Thanks Britt,
I will definitely let you know.

message 26: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

Can you all let me know here if you're okay with us archiving the July-September threads. They'll still be available on the group, just in the Archive folder.

message 27: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 4910 comments Mod
Go for it Kay

message 28: by Kayleigh {K-Books}, YA Fantasy Fan (new)

I'm just trying to clear the folders up so they're all nice and organised... now I have time lol

message 29: by Elena (new)

Elena Granger | 1277 comments Archive mine too please :)

message 30: by Gord (new)

Gord | 602 comments Mine as well