Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban question

Harry Potter Books RANKED
Julia Anderson Julia Jul 11, 2018 12:58AM
Okay people, let's see where everyone ranks the various Harry Potter books in terms of their TOP 3. Personally, mine would be
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Chamber of Secrets

What do you think???

I'm rereading them now, after first finishing the series in 2016. So my list may not be perfectly accurate.. but I think I'd rank accordingly:

1. Goblet of Fire: I've always loved the concept of this book. The two other schools coming to Hogwarts, the Triwizard Tournament tasks, getting to know Cedric, the YULE BALL. I love how the year was not a normal year at Hogwarts, and on a personal level I think that's the year I would be most thrilled to be a student.
2. Prisoner of Azkaban: We all love the shock of finding out Sirius is a homie and not a criminal. Harry finally finds a family member he can confide in after 13 years of Dursley shenanigans. Not to mention the time turner being the coolest concept you've ever heard of and wish you had!!!! I also tend to love the earlier books because it's less action/battles and more normal life/school/relationships -which is what I've always favored.
3. Half-Blood Prince: Now I haven't read this one in 2 years and I won't let myself watch it again until I reread. So some of the details are escaping me at the moment, but I know I loved this one. The whole idea of Harry's textbook being previously owned by the "Half Blood Prince" and the notes scribbled in the margins are not only accurate information, but happen to put him ahead of his class-even Hermione? That's wild. Now, we all hate to see Dumbledore die but it gave us no choice but to feel a wave of emotions about their entire relationship ever since book one.

I know we were only meant to rank top 3.. but I'll try to finish my list without ranting. So sorry in advance for all of the fluff above. Feel free to just ignore it :')

4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Deathly Hallows
6. Sorcerer's Stone
7. Order of the Phoenix

If you read this far then thats awesome. Let's be friends

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Deathly Hallows
4. Half-Blood Prince
5. Chamber of Secrets
6. Philosophers Stone
7. Order of the Phoenix

My ratings from favorite to least favorite.

1) Goblet of Fire
2) Prisoner of Azkaban
3) Order of the Phoenix
4) Deathly Hallows
5) Philosophers Stone
6) Chamber of Secrets
7) Half-Blood Prince

Top 3? OK, here goes:
3. Chamber of Secrets (this is where I REALLY got into the series)
2. Goblet of Fire (tournament of wizards and the introduction to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, which is awesome)
1. Prisoner of Azkaban (without a doubt, or I wouldn't be here)

1) Order of the Phoenix
2) Goblet of Fire
3) Deathly Hallows
4) Prisoner of Azkaban
5) Half Blood Prince
6) Chamber of Secrets
7) Philosopher's Stone

My top 3 are definite but the others change every time I re-read :)

deleted member Nov 26, 2019 03:14PM   0 votes
1. Sorcerer's Stone (truly Rowling’s best written work)
2. Goblet Of Fire (except the ending was too dark and sad)
3. Chamber Of Secrets (a bit slow in some parts but overall good)
4. Prisoner Of Azkaban (time travel was confusing)

I haven’t read the others.

in no particular order:prisoner of azkaban,chamber of secrets, order of phoenix(also deathly hollows)

1. The Order of the Phoenix - the action, the Ministry of Magic, Luna Lovegood, Dumbledore's Army. Loved everything about it.
2. Prisoner of Azkaban - Remus & Sirius plus the whole story getting a little bit darker. Also: family relations (or rather what could have been them if things didn't get complicated).
3. The Philosopher's Stone - I always have a soft spot for the stories that introduce us to the universe. Plus I always feel like that 10-year-old me when I go back to this book.

1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. deathly hallows
3. Order of the Pheonix
4. Half Blood Prince
5. Goblet of Fire
6+7. Tie between Sorcerer's Stone and Chamber of Secrets

I certainly have a different movie list
1. Sorcerer's Stone
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Deathly Hallows pt 2
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Prisoner of Azkaban
6. Order of the Pheonix
7. Deathly Hallows pt 1
8. Half Blood Prince

Joshua (last edited Oct 28, 2019 04:08AM ) Oct 28, 2019 04:08AM   0 votes
Julia wrote: "Okay people, let's see where everyone ranks the various Harry Potter books in terms of their TOP 3. Personally, mine would be
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Chamber of Secrets

..."

Great to see the Chamber of Secrets so high, I think it's the most underrated of the series. That book actually scared me when I read it as a child!

My ranking would be

(1) Goblet of Fire
(2)Prisoner of Azkaban
(3) Chamber of Secrets
(4) Order of the Phoenix
(5) The Deathly Hallows
(6) The Philosophers Stone
(7) The Half-Blood Prince

1 Prisoner of Azkaban
2 Goblet of Fire
3 Order of the Phoenix
Extra - The Philosopher's Stone - only because Im so grateful I picked this tiny book up one day in a doctors office, on offer with other used books and mags. Was so spell bound by its simplistic yet magical words, I finished it that afternoon (refused to leave doc office before I finished it) and on my way home bought the next book. Thus was drawn into the Harry rabbit hole forever.

Top 3

1.) Prisoner of Azkaban. Because all the Marauders are introduced and they are my favorite people in books. Ever. Plus its the last book before Voldemort comes back and it makes for a bittersweet reading because you know most of them won't be alive at the end. Plus Marauders... Did I already say that?

2.) Goblet of Fire. The triwizard events were cool. Voldemort comes back which was great. The only thing that kept it from being number one is that they totally underused Barty Crouch Jr. Plus no Marauders

3.) Half-Blood Prince. Two words. Voldemort's Backstory.

I love all of these books dearly so please don't be too mad. I also need to read them again to rejig my memory.

1- Prisoner of Azkaban.

When I was reading this book, it didn't feel as dark and confusing, only I really wanted to find out what would happen. I especially remember having a whole rant to my music teacher whilst I was reading this and the ending ...... yassss!

2- Order of the Phoenix.

While alot of people find it complicated and long, I like the complexness of this book that allows you to really see Harry's feelings and also the main plot of the whole series unravel beautifully. And Luna!!!!

3 - Chamber of Secrets.

Although this is probably because it was the book that got me into the whole series,

(I found the second one in a charity shop and didn't know it was number 2 until I read it and was hooked)

I still really love this book for being not only the start of my potter love but by the whole storyline, the fact we learn more about everything and how Harry's influenced by Hogwarts so much.

4 - Philosopher's stone
5- Deathly hallows
6 - Goblet of fire
7 - Half blood Prince

My top three would have to be:

1) Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-this felt like the start of it all for me and it always keeps you guessing and wondering what’s going to happen next. I couldn’t put it down and was a far favourite.
2) Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban-I feel like you just can’t hate poa. With the plot twists and hogsmede it’s just a wonderful book.
3) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix- this for me is one of the best and saddest of all Potter books. So much happens, I really do believe that the film did this book dirty. It is the longest book but it took me know time at all to read. You have dumbledores army and I love the whole idea of the order and spew. I love how we see the other houses branch together in their hatered for umbridge and the Weasley twins are amazing in it. It’s very funny but definitely keeps you on your toes.

1. Half-blood Prince
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Goblet of fire
4. Chamber of Secrets
5. Philsopher's stone
6. Deathly Hallows
7. Order of the Phoenix

Writing calibre wise, i don't feel deathly hallows nor order of phoenix aren't even at a Harry Potter Standard. Bizarre, two very 'lazy writing' novels

Well, fist of all, all the people saying that Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix where, and I quote, 'LAZY' writings, you probably didn't read them well enough or you didn't focus that well cause they where FULL of so much important things. Goblet of Fire had the Triwizard tournament, where old Voldy was found alive and ready to fight. Order of the Phoenix was where the DA was made and many important characters died in that book.

Enough said.

This is my rating of all 7:

7. Sorcerer's Stone. A bit babiesh. AMAZING nonetheless, just you know, JK's first, a bit less drama.

6. Chamber of Secrets. I don't know. This one was real cool because of Ginny (I ADORE HER) and I loved Dobby! RIP :(

5. Prisoner of Azkaban. I FELL IN LOVE WITH SIRIUS BLACK. The story was amazing and I loved it just it had a few boring times.

4. Goblet of Fire. Loved Triwizard Tourtament. Loved the endinggg. A few depressing parts.

3. Order of the Phoenix. I loveeeed the DA. We truly started seeing Ginny, Luna, and a bunch of other charaters.

2. Half-Blood Prince. LOVED Snape's story/side. Great plot and movement towards the plot. Loved Hermione more than usual (I love her tho). The deaths made it one of my favorites.

1. DEATHLY HALLOWS. The ending and the whole story... BREATHTAKING. The scene in the end where old Volddy dies is the tiebreaker between Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows. I loved Snape's death (i'm not a huge fan of Snape but he has his ups and downs). I lovedddd Romione in this book and HINNY IS OTP. Loved everything about this book <3

SOOOOO SORRY FOR RANTING BUT IF U MADE IT THIS FAR, YOUR A REAL ONE :)

You might have noticed, my favorite was the last and least favorite, the first. JK in the beginning was a tiny bit less skilled and her writing was less MATURE in in the first few books. DO NOT THROW SHADE PLEASE ITS JUST FACTS.

I LOVED ALL THE BOOKS DON'T GET ME WRONG, JUST SOME MORE THAN OTHERS.

<3

1. Goblet of Fire
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Half Blood Prince
4. Prisonor of Azkaban
5. Sorceror's Stone
6. Chamber of Secrets
7. Order of the Phoenix

1.The half-Blood Prince
2.The Deathly hallows
3.the Chamber of secrets
4.the Goblet of Fire
5.The Philosopher's Stone
6.The Order of the Phoenix
7. the Prisoner of Azkaban

Least Favorite to Favorite.

7: Half-Blood Prince
6: Philosopher/Soceror’s Stone
5: Chamber Of Secrets
4: Goblet Of Fire
3: Prisoner Of Azkaban
2: Deathly Hallows
1: Order Of The Phoenix

I think this is an informative post and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article
https://www.aryawartapackers.com/

Prisoner of Azkaban
Half blood prince
Order of the Phoenix
Chamber of secrets
Goblet of Fire
Deathly Hallows
Sorcerers Stone

1. The Deathly Hallows
2. The Prisoner of Azkaban
3. The Sorcerer's Stone
4. The Order of the Phoenix
5. The Half-Blood Prince
6. The Goblet of Fire
7. The Chamber of Secrets

I know that putting The Sorcerer's Stone third (after the obvious first two) is kind of weird, but each time I read the series I just like it more and more! I think it has sentimental value for me now, and that's why I like it so much.

In my opinion, all are of equal quality except for Goblet Of Fire. I don't know why, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed the others. It's still absolutely amazing, though.

Ajms98 (last edited Feb 27, 2019 05:37AM ) Feb 26, 2019 06:04PM   0 votes
To me:

1: Deathly Hallows: I shouldn't be surprised, cuz the last one it's my favorite movie. I love every single tiny letter here. Its FULL FULL FULL of nostalgia, subtle references from the other 6 books, full of action, sadness, lost, bravery, and above all, LOVE. If that doesn't make it my favorite one, I also love every single part of the final battle, even the sad devastating one's. Its the perfect finale for me. Also Severus, w o w.

2: Order of the Phoenix: This books takes a lot of crap. People dislike it because is long, because it's not fast paced, because its depressing, but honetly, it makes it the bravest of them all. Its full of complexity, especially in Harry's character. You root for him more than ever here. I feel like this book pushed all the boundaries and got into the dark without any apologies and I admire it for it. Also, Luna Lovegood, duh. Also number 2, Minerva Mcgonagall putting Frogface in her place, duh, duh.

3: Prisioner of Azkaban: I really loved the two first books, and I was already a fan of the cinematic saga, but this is when I really became a potterhead. I knew the whole story and anyway I was so absorbed by the book I had to read the last 140 pages in one night. It was a crazy ride.

4: Half Blood Prince: I was SURPRISED because I first watched the movies cuz I was a stupid teen in his worst years of “I don't read” phase. And when I did read it I was like: WHY THE HELL DID THEY LEAVE OUT ALL THE AMAZING PARTS OF THIS BOOK IN THE MOVIE!!!??? Worst movie of the 8; one of the best books.

5: Goblet of fire: I loved every single page in the top 5 here, but I believe that, if I had to, I would separate this top in 3 segments: first segment (1 and 2, really good) second segment (4, really REALLY good) and third segment (3, 5, 6 and 7, MASTERPIECES)

6: Chamber of Secrets: I love the storyline here, but I love the other five way more. I feel like the first two books are iconic, but are far away compared to the other top 5 of mine.

7: Philosopher's Stone: I LOVE this book, ok? But it's the most childish one to me (It obviously makes sense for it to be!)

There is not any question about this

1. Half-blood Prince
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Sorcerers Stone
4. Goblet of Fire
5. Order of the Phoenix
6. Prisoner of Azkaban
7. Chamber or Secrets

1.Goblet of Fire
2.Philosopher stone
3.The chamber of secrets

1. Azkaban- I love how things got darker and the characters really started taking shape. It stopped feeling like a kid's book from this point
2. Half Blood Prince- Because of Voldy's back story
3. Goblet of Fire- The whole universe just got bigger in this book and I LOVED every second

My Book List would be:

1. The Prisoner of Azkaban
2. The Philosopher's Stone
3. The Deathly Hallows
4. The Goblet of Fire
5. The Order of Phoenix
6. The Half-Blood Prince

The movie list:
1. The Goblet of Fire
2. The Order of Phoenix
3. The Prisoner of Azkaban
4. The Philosopher's Stone
5. The Deathly Hallows Part 2
6. The Deathly Hallows Part 1
8. The Half Blood Prince

Mine would be:
1. Order of The Phoenix
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Deathly Hallows

Ryan (last edited Jan 18, 2019 12:14PM ) Jan 18, 2019 12:10PM   0 votes
I haven't read the books in awhile, but from memory I would rank as follows:

1. Goblet of Fire: It combines all the aspects that makes the series overall so good and it's when JK Rowling really came into her own as a writer. Her prose was never fantastic, but the jump from the first 3 books to Goblet is noticeable. Also when the books made their final transition into the darker tone that would pervade the rest of the series. 5/5.

2. Order of the Phoenix: A controversial pick, I'm sure, but the tone of this book is fantastic throughout, and the ending is just a great adventure. 5/5.

3. Half-Blood Prince: Honestly, Order and Half-Blood could probably be tied as 2a and 2b, but I think Order edges it out for me by a hair. All of Riddle's backstory was awesome, and the book ends on a fantastic note of melancholic optimism. 5/5

4. Deathly Hollows: The book has problems for sure, the pacing is questionable at points and the prologue almost made me vomit the first time I read it 11 years ago (and I've skipped it the two or three times I've read the book since), but overall a solid bookend to the series. 4/5.

5. Prisoner of Azkaban: This one was one of my favorites as a child, but the last time I read it I found it didn't hold up so well. You can tell Rowling wasn't entirely sure how the series was going to play out at this point, her writing isn't great and there are some noticeable plotholes throughout. Still, it contains two of the primary things that made the series so enjoyable: relatable characters and good world-building. 4/5.

6. Chamber of Secrets/Philosopher's Stone: I'm going to tie these in last place because they are the worst of the series in many ways. The writing is poor (though I suppose you could use the excuse that she was writing down to the level of her target audience), there are continuity errors abound, both in plot and world building, and the whole "Great Wizard lets inexperienced children face immense danger because reasons" plot hole that is present in most of the novels is basically completely unreckoned with and most noticeable. Each novel has its pluses, of course. Philosopher's is a quaint, self contained little story that is enjoyable as children's literature, and Chamber's eerie tone makes for a decent little mystery novel, but I would say these books are the weakest in the series and pretty unnoteworthy overall. 3/5.

It's too harrrrrrd! I love them all......

1. Order of the Phoenix. I know nobody really likes this one but it was vital to Harry’s character development, and we met Luna, and started seeing multiple people in a new light
2. Half-Blood Prince. This was well written. It started my OTP (Hinny) and showed us more of Voldemort.
3. Deathly Hallows. Amazing conclusion!
4. Chamber of Secrets. The first book where Harry might have done things again, not for the first time.
5. Prisoner of Azkaban. Marauders!
6. Goblet of Fire. Too much romance for me, too awkward and drawn out.
7. Sorcerers Stone. More focused on introduction than being good.

1. Order of the Phoenix
2. Prisoner of Azkaban
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Deathly Hallows
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Half-Blood Prince
7. Chamber of Secrets

My top 3 favourites are probably:
1)Half Blood prince
2)Deathly Hallows
3)Prisoner of Azkaban

1. Order of the Phoenix
2. Deathly Hallows
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Prisoner of Azkaban
5. Sorcerer's Stone
6. Chamber of Secrets

1. Deathly Hallows
2. Goblet of Fire
3. Sorcerer's Stone

I never understood why everyone loves Prisoner of Azkaban so much? It's very much bottom of the series for me, with only Order of the Phoenix ranking worse.

Emma (last edited Jul 12, 2018 11:02PM ) Jul 12, 2018 11:01PM   0 votes
1. The Goblet of Fire - This one was the BEST in my opinion. It starts with that creepy Riddle House chapter that I thought was just so intriguing. The Weasly boys meeting the Dursleys was hilarious, the Quidditch World Cup was AWESOME (I love Quidditch) and the rest of it was just so enjoyable. I loved the new characters like Fleur and Viktor Krum and Mad-Eye. The Yule Ball was amazing! The thing I loved most about this book though was the graveyard scene. Cedric's death, Harry dueling Voldemort, his parents as ghosts, the truth about Barty Crouch Junior, and just EVERYTHING about this book had me hooked. I absolutely loved it. During the Voldemort dueling scene I was just stuck in that one position, my eyes glued to the pages. I could not get enough.

2. The Deathly Hallows - because how can this not be in the top best books of the series? I can't explain my reasons for loving this, it was just such an intense and touching and emotional book...

3.The Chamber of Secrets - I'm not saying this is the third best in the series, I just really, really personally enjoyed this one.

I can't really choose between these next two on my list, they're both the same ranked as far as I'm concerned.
4. The Prisoner of Azkaban
5. The Half-Blood Prince

6. The Philosopher's Stone - Not that I didn't like this book, I LOVED it, just compared to the other ones it has to come second to last.

7.The Order of the Phoenix - I did enjoy this book, don't get me wrong, but I enjoyed it least. This one took me the longest to read and I just didn't find it as great.

Oh sorry, I didn't read that properly! I was only supposed to put my top three and not rant... (sorry)

Jemma (last edited Jan 20, 2019 10:05PM ) Jan 20, 2019 10:04PM   -1 votes
1. Half Blood Prince
2. Order of the Phoenix
3. Prisoner of Azkaban

Mine would have to be:
1. The Deathly Hallows
2. The Prisoner of Azkaban
3. The Half Blood Prince