Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available to Read Fiction Novels & Shorts

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jdr1) | 2 comments Available to Read Fiction Novels (most genres) & Shorts.

New member and aspiring author. Not been a beta reader before but enthusiastic about it as I'll need beta readers of my own one day!

Where has this site been all my life?

Feel free to comment or message me if I can be of help to you.

message 2: by B.S. (new)

B.S. Dolphin (dolphinpublishing) | 3 comments What genres are you looking to read? I have a first short book of a serial out which is mainly suspense but has graphic language and referrals (but few in depth details)...seen here: https://www.books2read.com/u/3L09l0

Feel free to message me.

message 3: by Gen (new)

Gen | 2 comments Hi!
I'm looking for readers for my mythological fiction (about 45,000 words), based on the Greek myth of Europa and the city of Thebes. It takes place in Bronze Age Greece and is about Cadmus, a prince who must leave his home and follow a prophecy about founding a city in Greece. Please message me or email me at kwant.g@gmail.com if you're interested!

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jdr1) | 2 comments Hi. I've received a lot of messages. So if I haven't messaged you directly then im sorry I won't be able to help at the moment. Thankyou everyone for your interest and good luck with your projects.

message 5: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Saw you were looking for works to read. Would you be interested in a classic mystery/thriller? "The Puzzlemaker"

After 10 years service as a cryptographer with MI6 during the cold war, the extremely shy and reclusive George Withers becomes editor and compiler of the Sunday Times crossword.
30 years later and now in his 60's, an old MI6 colleague asks him to place a code within the Sunday Times cryptic crossword puzzle. Unknown to him, this results in a number of gruesome deaths. The father of one of the victims discovers the puzzle maker had something to do with his son's death, and goes on the hunt. Now George has to solve his own puzzle to save his own life.

It can be picked up here:http://www.brianchristophernovels.com...

message 6: by Mohamed (new)

Mohamed Abdel-Maksoud | 1 comments @Brian
Hello, I understand it is a bit off topic, but how do you feel about publishing your beta version openly online?
I'm preparing to publish a book and I was strongly discouraged from making it available online because it could just be copied and I'd have no way to prove it was mine (unless I get an expensive patent/license or something similar).

message 7: by Brian (new)

Brian Christopher (brianchristopher) | 29 comments Hi, a good question. Fortunately I know quite a bit about intellectual property so publishing my beta version of my book online is not a problem for me.
First of all, a book cannot be patented, you only have copyright. According to the Geneva/Berne Convention on copyright from 1952, you automatically have copyright to your work the moment you create it – the only problem is actually proving you created it in the first place.

Yes, of course it could be copied, but then the person who copies it has to prove it existed before I published it. That is not easy. In writing my book, I have created a history of correspondence and backups (using dropbox) whereby I can legally prove that I have worked on the novel for a particular amount of time. Can the other person who copies my work proved that too? It's very difficult, in fact impossible to create digital timestamps that can precede the ones that have been created while writing your book.
So, no, I'm not worried about people copying my book because I can very easily legally prove I wrote it.
I hope this answers your question.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Combs | 28 comments I am looking for a beta for my approximately 50k word novel. You need to have a Gmail account, as I use Google Drive for everything.

General Synopsis: A photographer visits a lonely town to take photos for a client. He encounters many different people while there, but doesn't take anyone's life too seriously. As the novel progresses, the readers and the photographer learn about their lives and what lies beyond the mask. There is also a little bit of a mystery surrounding the town's history and some of the character's pasts.

You can email me at briannacombs.author@gmail.com if you are interested! I don't have any deadlines, so don't feel pressure on that end. Thank you!

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen (kjanowsky) | 22 comments I'm looking for a beta for a book that 's almost done (I have 2 final chapters to write, but I'd like feedback on what I have so far). It's about 73k as of now, maybe a little less. This does have some graphic scenes portraying sex and violence. Here's the summary:

WISE Men

Genre: Suspense/Romance

ROTC wasn’t the best option for Kevin Rye to get through Stanford University, after all. His first mission in the U.S. Army was in 1993 Mogadishu, and he has been returned to the United States almost completely broken and lucky to be alive at all. Thankfully, his friend and former college roommate, wealthy genius Rob Fisher, has schematics and an idea of how to ameliorate the damage his family’s multi-billion dollar armaments corporation has done to the world. It starts with creating a suit to help Kevin walk again, become bulletproof, and fly. What Rob can’t do is make Kevin’s long-suffering girlfriend choose to stay with him as he navigates the painful changes in his life.

In 2002, Graham Beech, a serial womanizer with uncanny aim and instincts, has a promising career in the U.S. Army Rangers ahead of him. He’s unprepared when he realizes he wants to spend more and more time with newly-enlisted Steven Amato than he does hanging out in bars and bringing a different woman to a cheap motel every weekend. Graham was brought up by a strict, socially conservative family, and this is the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” era. That shouldn’t matter. He’s sure he has a very good idea of who he is and what he values, but he can’t stop thinking about Steven.

What these men have in common are tenuous military careers, post-traumatic stress, a history of being careless in their relationships, and firm refusals to think too hard about the future. They’re soldiers. They do one mission at a time. When the trajectories of their lives converge, Rob Fisher’s plan becomes apparent. It involves finding a long-lost American hero, deciphering a cryptic myth, and doing so before the terrorist on the same quest does it first. Graham and Kevin are up to the challenge if only they can get out of their own way, make sense of the way things almost never turn out as one plans, and embrace what really matters to them.